Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Hubbard Deep Bite?

Posted By: BassMan5000

Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/16/18 10:40 PM

Anyone know if Hubbard gets much a deep water pattern in the summer. I see some interesting bottom structure running through out the lake but not sure how or if black bass might be using it much.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/17/18 11:18 AM

Haven't fished Hubbard in a long long time, so interested if others that fish it more regular comment, but have heard that the obvious deeper humps, tracks etc that would normally produce dont produce that well on Hubbard because of the heavy sand bass and hybrid population that the LMBs dont want to compete with.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/17/18 01:31 PM

We've marked numerous rock piles and road beds and get out there and haul water. I cannot find a decent deep bite on Hubbard although I do not fish it very often. I know there are some brush pile kings out there (you know who you are Doug) but since I haven't followed people around to steal their spots, I'm not sure how deep they put them. grin Things that would work on normal deep water areas on say Sandlin or Fork do not seem to work on Mother Hubbard.
Posted By: Crazyfish

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/17/18 04:27 PM

We had a small club tournament out there on Saturday. I was in a community deep spot close to rocks. Graphs were lit up with bait and larger fish. We couldn't really get anything to bite at sun rise except for a few dinks. Then i threw a football jig and snagged an #8.08. Nothing else came from that area after that. Threw the kitchen sink at them. Should have gone more finesse since it was blue-bird skies but i left all that tackle on the workbench.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/18/18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
since I haven't followed people around to steal their spots, I'm not sure how deep they put them. grin

I can usually find them by staying in 15-20 feet of water and having my eyes glued to side imaging
Posted By: Wavemaker

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/18/18 03:47 PM

I believe they live shallow year around because of the Hybrids and Stripers.. Texhoma is the same way.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/18/18 10:34 PM

There are definitely deep fish on Hubbard, because I know people who have caught them deep there. However, like Tom said they aren't in many of the obvious spots because your normal roadbeds and points just don't seem to produce deep like you would think.

A great example in the middle of summer. There is a really long point coming out in the mainlake between basspro and captains cove. Fishing that thing out in 20 foot of water and marking fish. Not a bite to be had, so I keep moving in fishing the whole way, carolina rig, jigs, cranks etc... I finally intersect some fish in 4ft and less on that point........ Good ol' Hubbard.

Me personally though, I gave up on fishing deep on that lake and by deep I mean over 15 foot. Typically year round I catch fish on Hubbard in 6 foot or less of water, I just change tactics and locations with the seasons.

Hubbard as a whole is definitely a 90% of the fish in 10% of the lake kinda deal. You can fish so many areas that look great on the graph and come home empty handed.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/18/18 11:26 PM

Hubbard is an odd lake, always lots of bait deep but rarely can you catch numbers of quality fish deep. If you spend the time on it you can stay around decent fish. You may catch 2-3 good ones in 20-25 feet of water and another 2-3 in 2-6 feet of water. It's the hardest lake I have ever fished to get on a true "pattern".

I have not fished much this year, except for the Tuesday night tournaments, and our results have been so-so at best.
Posted By: RandyD

Re: Ray Hubbard Deep Bite? - 07/19/18 02:28 AM

I haven't fished it years, but "odd" is a good description... the primary pattern I always ended up defaulting to was the rip-rap... year round.... unless the grass is growing in the main lake down around the power plant …. otherwise,... rip-rap...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum