Texas Fishing Forum

checking rod guides

Posted By: ma1950

checking rod guides - 07/15/18 03:58 PM

When I have set the hook with one of my favorite rods the last 4 times the line has broken after the first 3 times I checked the rod guides with the Q-tip test with no results and spooled up with new line and the next times I set the hook the line broke like it was cut, is there any other kind of test I can perform that would be more conclusive?
Posted By: fivebites

Re: checking rod guides - 07/15/18 04:09 PM

If they're micro this won't work. If regular guides try to pull a piece of your wife's makeup cotton ball through the guides. It will usually hang up where it's chipped or cracked.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: checking rod guides - 07/15/18 04:10 PM

Are you fishing a lake with Zebra Muscles? Bridgeport is pretty bad. I had 3 rods broke off within an hour from braid and 17 to 25 lb. Floro.. Got those fixed then had to start retying ever 3rd cast.
Posted By: ma1950

Re: checking rod guides - 07/15/18 10:24 PM

Yes I am fishing a lake with Zebra muscles but out of the 6 rods I have been using this is the only rod with the break off problem. I only use braid from 20# and up. Thanks for your response.
Posted By: Neches

Re: checking rod guides - 07/15/18 10:25 PM

Q Tip does not always work, I broke off with braid 3 times in a row with a crappie rod, checked it at home with a q tip, it showed nothing.I started pulling the 10lb braid in circles around the eye and it sunk into the crack.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: checking rod guides - 07/15/18 11:02 PM

Hope you figure it out.

Debra smile
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: checking rod guides - 07/16/18 12:24 AM

My two Crigs and Trig were the ones taking the beating. Had no problems with the fast moving baits. The Muscles will cut the Braid like butter. My 50 lb. braid rod was the fist to go as we were dragging the 20 ft. contour and long lining. Had about a 2 lb. Bass on, when it came up and jumped the line broke.
Posted By: Whopper Plopper

Re: checking rod guides - 07/16/18 01:24 PM

I used the magnifier app on my phone to find a cracked guide that I coulded find with a cotton swab.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: checking rod guides - 07/16/18 01:34 PM

Use a magnifying glass and also check the line guide on your reel as well as the guides on your rod.
Posted By: pagemaster

Re: checking rod guides - 07/16/18 10:13 PM

Use your line like a piece of floss and check each guide.. My older falcon cara rods were bad for wearing a groove in the guides..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum