Texas Fishing Forum

How to catch a DD bass

Posted By: JC Skeeter

How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 05:47 PM

If this was your sole purpose for fishing, as in you couldn't care less about anything under 10lbs, and you were going to fish every day until you caught one. No matter the lake or time of year, what is the best way to catch one? Or should I ask, what gives a fisherman his best odds?

For those that have caught one or more, or those who know people who have caught them. What is the average or best depth? Are your chances best with a big crank bait, a jig, big ol worm, etc? Does one presentation, t-rig vs c-rig work better?

Not only depth, but should one focus more on deep ledges, ends of points, etc.

I know there are variables, and hell someone can get lucky and catch one in 2 foot of water. I am just asking for overall best odds to try and catch one.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:01 PM

I've caught them at all depths with all kinds of lures. If you want to raise the odds on catching one, the best way is to fish more often.
Posted By: Jake E

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:02 PM

I have caught 2 DD's one on a DD-22 on a change from a deep bluff to a small shallower flat with some bigger trees shading the area and depth between 8-16ft adjacent to deeper water funny thing my dad caught 2 others that were 9.5 and 10.3 on the same spot all were different fish and caught within a 8 year period of time and within 25ft. of each other. My second DD was caught on the edge of a grass line in about 10 ft. near a creek channel on a senko. I think your chances of catching those big texas girls go up when your fishing 8-25ft Fow and hitting spots that are actually fairly obvious really big fishy spots, like on a bank change next to deep water with a big laydown or other isolated cover/structure where those fish can easily transition to shallow and deep water near where perch and other bait or hanging. As for lures it almost seems like you should either go real big or surprisingly small.
Posted By: squib

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:06 PM

Number one thing is to fish in a lake with the capacity to produce big fish. Not every lake has the genetic potential to produce a fishable population.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:09 PM

I wish I could help haha. If it was me, I would definitely spend more time out deeper than what I normally fish. That's all I got
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:10 PM

If I had to pick 1 single way to catch a 10+ no question it would be to sight fish for 2 weeks straight on a lake like fork in the spring. Given you are experienced enough to find and catch one. In my opinion no other "tactic" gives you a higher chance of a 10
Posted By: Jake E

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:18 PM

I also know a few guys who have caught them at night or very low light conditions ... and for the amount of time people spend fishing at night the ratio might be a little better.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
If I had to pick 1 single way to catch a 10+ no question it would be to sight fish for 2 weeks straight on a lake like fork in the spring. Given you are experienced enough to find and catch one. In my opinion no other "tactic" gives you a higher chance of a 10

I get what you are saying, and while I am no pro I fish enough year round that I feel as though if I could site fish well enough that if I found one I could most likely catch her. However I am typically so busy at work during the spawn or have tournaments that I don't have that luxury.

By a higher chance, I am just thinking that most bigger fish come deeper, such as 10ft plus. As opposed to just going down the bank in 2 - 5ft of water. While I know someone could get lucky, I just assumed, which may be wrong to do, that most of the bigger fish, 7lbs and up, typically come in deeper water. But that is sort of why I am asking for peoples opinions since I obviously haven't been lucky enough to join the DD club yet.
Posted By: stetson

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:25 PM

If that was my only goal prolly fastest way is go fish Camelot bell until I caught one
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:26 PM

I have caught 15 bass between 10 lbs.and 12.4 all on Fork in the spring from 1984 - 1991. I quit fishing Fork in 1991, because of the "IDIOTS" that started showing up fishing the bent rod pattern. scared It would be your best bet to catch a 10+ I used a jig and eel,black with black, chart, and yellow skirt using a L-4 pork trailer. Most were caught at night.

Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:34 PM

Lots of tactics/ situations, shallow and deep, main thing, (James said), is to be on a body of water that frequently shows/ has history of catches of trophy size fish. The early part of the year, Feb.- May offers the best chance to be close to a big 'un.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:37 PM

Camelot bell or Wolfpack. Probably cheaper and faster than other means in the long run. On public lakes you just have to fish high percentage areas. Like fishing a jig down a creek channel or down a river ledge. I haven't caught one in public water that I weighed on an official scale. I did catch one I think would have touched 10 bit was only 9 something on my scale and wish I would have checked it. Mainly, just spend every minute you can on the water. The more your out there the more chance you have
Posted By: Chris G

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:38 PM

I only have one and it was off a road bed on Fork in late February in about 8-10'. However, I've been fortunate enough learn from some very accomplished guys over the years that combined probably have had more than 250 DD's in their boats at one time or another and the theme always seemed to be fishing 15-25' of water with characteristics that should hold bass like drop offs, ledges, timber, brush, pinch points, ditches, etc. To give you an idea of what some think of this depth range; when I had my graphs fine tuned by Slade Dougherty on Lake Fork, he had depth highlights added to my maps. 0-5' is RED, 6-14' is white, 15-25' if GREEN then deeper is all shades of a bluish gray. He told me he fishes Fork in 15-25' nearly year round. He was the 2nd person that told me that.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: that1time
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

I get what you are saying, and while I am no pro I fish enough year round that I feel as though if I could site fish well enough that if I found one I could most likely catch her. However I am typically so busy at work during the spawn or have tournaments that I don't have that luxury.

By a higher chance, I am just thinking that most bigger fish come deeper, such as 10ft plus. As opposed to just going down the bank in 2 - 5ft of water. While I know someone could get lucky, I just assumed, which may be wrong to do, that most of the bigger fish, 7lbs and up, typically come in deeper water. But that is sort of why I am asking for peoples opinions since I obviously haven't been lucky enough to join the DD club yet.

Other than sight fishing you have be on a lake known for 10+. Increases your odds. Second is slow down and concentrate on deeper water. I'd concentrate outside major spawning creeks depending on time of year 15-25ft near the main lake point or something irregular. Brush and timber are a plus. Hard to beat big tx rig worms and a Carolina rigs. Both fished very slow
Posted By: Titleist77

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 06:46 PM

I've been able to catch 12 bass over 10 pounds with the biggest weighing 16.72 pounds. After the third one, I became consumed with catching only DD fish. I remember getting mad as neck when I caught a 8 or 9 pounder. I switched mainly to BIG swimbaits at that poing in the 6-12 ounce and I never caught anything over 6 pounds... I've since went back to more tradition gear/lures. Of the 12 I have caught, 8 have come on various brand paddle tail swimbaits no bigger than 6" and the other 4 were on a football jig. I think the most important thing is TIME spent fishing. Lots of luck involved, but the time you spend fishing and learning is most valuable.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 07:25 PM

I have never done it, but fishing with live bait on a lake that has big fish that live deep would be a good way to catch one or more DD fish...
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 07:45 PM

I'm not trying to peddle anything, but I wrote an entire book on this subject called, Lunker Lore. It takes an in-depth look at the things you can do to stack the odds in your favor for catching a 10lb+ bass. It's got a texas slant, draws heavily from the wisdom of many of the guys on here, and also looks at private water places like Camelot Bell. You can find it on Amazon. If you are a younger guy and money is tight let me know and I'm sure I can find a copy laying around somewhere I could send you. A book won't put one in the boat, but my biased opinion is it has a few nuggets in there that'll sure help!

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake E
I also know a few guys who have caught them at night or very low light conditions ... and for the amount of time people spend fishing at night the ratio might be a little better.

Fishing at night will up your odds 50% once the surface temperatures reach 90 degrees during daylight hours.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 08:46 PM

I have boated exactly 30 fish between 10.05 and 15.21 and I can tell you reading Josh Alwine's book, Lunker Lore will be time well spent and should most certainly increase your odds of success in your goal to catch a DD bass. I do not know Josh and I haven't caught a DD since I read his book (certainly not his fault) but I can tell you most (not all) of the information in his book aligns with my experiences, perspectives and perceptions. There were a few revelations in the book but most of the book was confirmation and that was good enough for me.
Other than reading this book, my best advice to anyone trying to increase their chances of catching their first or another 10 pound plus bass is to choose your water and the time you spend on the water very carefully. Most of the bass fishermen I know rarely set out and stick with a plan to catch the largest bass in a body of water and that's why they need luck to run into one. There is also no doubt in my mind that throwing large baits ups the odds of catching large fish. But that's from a guy who has been throwing swimbaits for 19 years.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 09:02 PM

First you need a good rod, a good pair of running shoes and a brick. Pull up to Bass pro, use the brick to get in.. with those running shoes laced tight, run your [censored] to those aquariums quickly, you got time for one or two casts before the police show up. Pick you out one of the big ones that looks over 10 and get to casting. I wish you the best.
Posted By: GeoTro1

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 11:50 PM

Time on the water gives you the best odds. A lot of people say sight fish them but in 20yrs I have never seen one that big on a bed. I have caught two over 10. One came on a jerkbait and one on a jig. They came out of 10-12FOW next to a deep drop off. I have caught a lot of 8 and 9s and I would say 80% of them have come out of that range as well. The others have come out of 4-6ft near shade.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 11:52 PM

About 5" bluegill or water dog on crig.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 11:54 PM

Set the hook when she slurps your bait...duh.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/10/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: txwhitetail
About 5" bluegill or water dog on crig.

This^^^^^^
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 12:23 AM

First, you have to fish where they are. I've got 3 DDs from Texas, but it takes many hours of being on the water. 2 came from slow rolling a spinnerbait & the other flipp'n a craw. Every DD fish I've caught was on the edge of a creek canal break, pre-spawn. 6-10 FOW.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: GeoTro1
Time on the water gives you the best odds. A lot of people say sight fish them but in 20yrs I have never seen one that big on a bed. I have caught two over 10. One came on a jerkbait and one on a jig. They came out of 10-12FOW next to a deep drop off. I have caught a lot of 8 and 9s and I would say 80% of them have come out of that range as well. The others have come out of 4-6ft near shade.

What lake do you fish? Heck I've seen 5-6 over 10 in one day on Toledo
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I have never done it, but fishing with live bait on a lake that has big fish that live deep would be a good way to catch one or more DD fish...

What?!

I saw you almost catch an 8 pounder by hand on Ray Hubbard!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 04:18 AM

Doug has several out of hubbard and fork I believe. he hasn't live bait fished for them. luckily I caught a dd on hubbard but had to hook doug in the knee to keep him from catching it first! on a fb jig.
a summer DD on hubbard 100 degree heat, middle of the day, beaver in 4' depth fishing hydrilla
nighttime Summer on Cypress SPrings with a 7" ringworm next to a dock in 4'

hoping to fish Fork more over the next year to increase the DD count. learning Tawakoni right now with a couple great teachers!
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 04:32 AM

When fun fishing, my only goal is to catch a DD. It’s why I continue to fish Alan Henry rather than go to lakes where I have a good opportunity to catch multiple 5+ lb fish.

So far I’ve failed.

I’ve focused almost exclusively on deeper water and bigger baits.

Two weeks ago I was on Alan Henry fishing a point right near a river channel. The water went from 8-30’ and then dropped off to 50+’ nearby fairly quickly.

I was focusing on the steeper ledges along the point and edges of the deeper flats. I was mostly casting up to 8-10’ and then dragging a big power worm, jig, and big swimbaits down the dropoff.

All of a sudden another boat pulls up and begins fishing right on top of the point in 8’. Was actually very close to where I was casting.

30 minutes later he is hooked up. After he fought this tree for 20 minutes I figured he was adamant no one believed he set the hook on a tree and he was 1 hell of an actor dipping his rod way in the water while circling the tree multiple times.

Was kind of laughing, then I saw her jump, while his line was still going straight down below the boat. He said he still had about 3 trees left to go.

A few minutes later he lipped her.

I trolled up to him to snap a few pictures for him and let him use my scale.

She was 10.8 lbs, in 8 ft of water,in late June on an extremely clear lake, sunny day, little wind, and nearly 100 degrees. Oh and he was using a plastic craw.

None of that added up to me. Here I was thinking I was fishing for big fish throwing deep baits fishing deep cover on structure changes.

Was something to see. Wish I asked what line he was using,you don’t win many battles like he did.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 04:34 AM

I also won’t fish a private stocked pond, won’t throw live bait, and will not hire a guide until I catch one.

I also realize many great fishermen much better than me, go a lifetime without catching a DD, but I won’t give up.
Posted By: JPost

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 05:39 AM

Give it a couple of years after Falcon fills up again. It is obvious but worth restating -- fish water where big fish live.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
Camelot bell or Wolfpack. Probably cheaper and faster than other means in the long run.

In 2016 I had 11 DD's in my boat from CB not counting multiple 9's.

In 2017 I had Zero.

So far this year I've two.

Gotta go where they live to catch them. Fished Fork three weeks ago with Eddie Garrett and he had a 9.45 and my buddy got a 10.20 a few mins later. Josh's book Lunker Lore is an excellent read if you get a chance. It can help you find one.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 02:23 PM

Camelot bell or Wolfpack.

That doesn't count! popcorn
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 03:11 PM

All mine have come from Fork and have come on several different techniques.

Best answer I could say is just time on the water. Then it boils down to a little luck!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
I also won’t fish a private stocked pond, won’t throw live bait, and will not hire a guide until I catch one.

I also realize many great fishermen much better than me, go a lifetime without catching a DD, but I won’t give up.

Prepare to be disappointed. It may happen quick, but it may take years. It may...
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 05:31 PM

Whatever you look down your nose at, there is someone else looking down their nose at you. You won't fish private water, use a guide, or throw live bait. There is someone somewhere who thinks bed fishing, fancy boats, or even these crazy electronics these days is tantamount to cheating. If it's legal, I always think it's best to let each man chase his phantoms however he best sees fit. DD's are rare fish even on the best water in the world. The vast vast majority of bass fisherman across the globe will never catch one. Cheers to those who have!
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Camelot bell or Wolfpack. Probably cheaper and faster than other means in the long run.

In 2017 I had Zero.

Gotta go where they live to catch them. Fished Fork three weeks ago with Eddie Garrett and he had a 9.45 and my buddy got a 10.20 a few mins later. Josh's book Lunker Lore is an excellent read if you get a chance. It can help you find one.

"High Fence Fish"....... bolt
roflmao

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I'm not trying to peddle anything, but I wrote an entire book on this subject called, Lunker Lore. It takes an in-depth look at the things you can do to stack the odds in your favor for catching a 10lb+ bass. It's got a texas slant, draws heavily from the wisdom of many of the guys on here, and also looks at private water places like Camelot Bell. You can find it on Amazon. If you are a younger guy and money is tight let me know and I'm sure I can find a copy laying around somewhere I could send you. A book won't put one in the boat, but my biased opinion is it has a few nuggets in there that'll sure help!

Thank you I’ll look on amazon today.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Blood
First you need a good rod, a good pair of running shoes and a brick. Pull up to Bass pro, use the brick to get in.. with those running shoes laced tight, run your [censored] to those aquariums quickly, you got time for one or two casts before the police show up. Pick you out one of the big ones that looks over 10 and get to casting. I wish you the best.

With my luck that’ll be the time they drain the tank for cleaning.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 06:23 PM

I didn't read thru this entire thread, but if my sole purpose was to catch a DD bass and nothing else, i would use live bait in known spawning areas during the spring, and then off to the deep water brush piles in the summer, during the day, and the adjacent flats close to brush piles at night! To be 100% honest, i would never subject myself to such torture, i like "catching" to much! LOL!
Posted By: Walls

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: that1time

Thank you I’ll look on amazon today.

Not peddling- sold me one today though. cheers
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Originally Posted By: Jake E

Fishing at night will up your odds 50% once the surface temperatures reach 90 degrees during daylight hours.

Agree..

But this morning I was out on the Lake making trails and waypoints, so I don't run into everything out there..Found some awesome spots..just sayin.

One way to catch a DD is to find a underwater structure tie on a T-Rig Big Craw Worm cast it at 9:15 am (yes I was fishing during the day..RARE)wait for the thump and set the hook. Like I did this morning 7/11/18 @ 9:15 am..

10 lb 2 oz over..

Think it was the one in the middle..

Or my preferred way is with a Jig @ Night..
11 lb 5 oz ..few weeks ago..
Posted By: Cameron

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 07:10 PM

Livebait + multiple rods + November - Feb.

My 14.44 pb came on a swimbait in July and I will say that it is an EXTREMELY low percentage game. If you are trophy hunting live bait is absolutely the #1 ticket, forget what you read in books and the hate you’ll receive from the weekend crowd.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 07:19 PM

Whatever you look down your nose at, there is someone else looking down their nose at you. You won't fish private water, use a guide, or throw live bait. There is someone somewhere who thinks bed fishing, fancy boats, or even these crazy electronics these days is tantamount to cheating. If it's legal, I always think it's best to let each man chase his phantoms however he best sees fit. DD's are rare fish even on the best water in the world. The vast vast majority of bass fisherman across the globe will never catch one. Cheers to those who have!

Who said I look down on anyone that does those things? Its simply a personal preference for me, nothing more. I want to catch a DD from public waters on my own and I don't want to use live bait to do it. That is my goal.

If you want to hire a guide and use live bait on a private managed fishery, have at it.

As frustrating as fishing Alan Henry is at times, I've considered hiring a guide there. In the end, the challenge of trying to figure things out on my own is what I enjoy.

To each his own.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

Prepare to be disappointed. It may happen quick, but it may take years. It may...
Very true. I caught a DD from Palestine in the mid-80's then didn't catch another until 2005. I then caught at least 1 per year until 2013 and haven't caught one since. Of course I haven't fished as much the last 2 or 3 years and Falcon hasn't been on fire lately.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/11/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

Yep and it may very likely never happen. That's okay too. Any day on the water is a good day.

Prior to fishing Texas I had never caught a 5 lb fish. Now those are fairly common.

I've only caught 7 fish over 6 lbs, with 2 being over 7 and 3 being over 8 lbs, but I caught 3 of them this year. Fishing these lakes are way different than fishing in Louisiana and I learn something new almost every trip, that's what it is about.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/12/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: 1bassdaddy
I have boated exactly 30 fish between 10.05 and 15.21

roflmao

catfish? Carp? Bowfin?

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/12/18 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey

In 2017 I had Zero.

roflmao

You better be nice to me or I will run by you like you're tied to a stump again when I get my new boat.

grin
Posted By: fivebites

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/12/18 12:16 PM

I've been fishing Fork since it opened in 86'. Same with Ray Roberts and Joe Pool. I've documented over well 80 bass over 8 lbs.( when I used to keep up with that kind of stuff), and I don't know how many 6's and 7's. Several of those 8's I had pics at Rainswood and Fishermans Marina. Only one over 8 and it was my PB at 9.54 lbs from Ray Bob. I can't tell you how many times I've hooked a great bass ( and in my opinion an 8 pounder is a great bass) thinking this is it...8.64, 8.78, etc. Dang it...AGAIN?? I've broke off several that "may" have been 10 +. One of them was about 50 yards from Cheryl Davenport on a fat free shad when those first came out that spit the bait right at the boat. She told me it was one of the largest she had seen on Fork and was probably close to 13 pounds. My buddy and I were fishing Dale one year around 1992 in the spawn and were each in our own boats. Bass were on beds everywhere. I passed by a big bed and saw a nice one sitting off the edge, but had a 6 or 7 pounder in front of me I was working on. My buddy trolled up near me and I told him I was sitting on a good one, but showed him the bed I passed by. He says, "this is a real nice fish...you sure you want me to fish it?" I hadn't seen her real well so I told him, "yeah, go ahead, I've got a nice one right here in front of me. Fifteen minutes later he hooks a 10.84 off of it! I've never made a hole in one in golf...but dang came so close so many times it drives me mad. But, the good news is...I've been out on the water or on the golf course and enjoyed being in the great outdoors. What a privilege! Maybe both of those will happen before I'm too old. Maybe not. Either way enjoy the experience! Appreciate your time. It goes by awful fast.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/12/18 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: fivebites
I've been fishing Fork since it opened in 86'. Same with Ray Roberts and Joe Pool. I've documented over well 80 bass over 8 lbs.( when I used to keep up with that kind of stuff), and I don't know how many 6's and 7's. Several of those 8's I had pics at Rainswood and Fishermans Marina. Only one over 8 and it was my PB at 9.54 lbs from Ray Bob. I can't tell you how many times I've hooked a great bass ( and in my opinion an 8 pounder is a great bass) thinking this is it...8.64, 8.78, etc. Dang it...AGAIN?? I've broke off several that "may" have been 10 +. One of them was about 50 yards from Cheryl Davenport on a fat free shad when those first came out that spit the bait right at the boat. She told me it was one of the largest she had seen on Fork and was probably close to 13 pounds. My buddy and I were fishing Dale one year around 1992 in the spawn and were each in our own boats. Bass were on beds everywhere. I passed by a big bed and saw a nice one sitting off the edge, but had a 6 or 7 pounder in front of me I was working on. My buddy trolled up near me and I told him I was sitting on a good one, but showed him the bed I passed by. He says, "this is a real nice fish...you sure you want me to fish it?" I hadn't seen her real well so I told him, "yeah, go ahead, I've got a nice one right here in front of me. Fifteen minutes later he hooks a 10.84 off of it! I've never made a hole in one in golf...but dang came so close so many times it drives me mad. But, the good news is...I've been out on the water or on the golf course and enjoyed being in the great outdoors. What a privilege! Maybe both of those will happen before I'm too old. Maybe not. Either way enjoy the experience! Appreciate your time. It goes by awful fast.

^^^ THIS is why you fish!! You've enjoyed all the experiences for what they were not to just chase a goal/dream. Enjoyed reading that.

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/12/18 12:26 PM

When fun fishing, my only goal is to catch a DD. It’s why I continue to fish Alan Henry rather than go to lakes where I have a good opportunity to catch multiple 5+ lb fish.

So far I’ve failed.

You need to call my friend Curtis Norrod. He can help you find one in March or April. That young man is a big fish magnet on AH in the spring.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/12/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Cameron
Originally Posted By: 1bassdaddy
I have boated exactly 30 fish between 10.05 and 15.21

roflmao

catfish? Carp? Bowfin?

He said exactly! grin
Posted By: Coach2

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/13/18 12:31 AM

Get a c-rig, fb jig and texas rig work and get to work in 20ft water.
Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/13/18 01:05 AM

I don’t know exactly how many I’ve caught, but it’s a bunch. From top waters to deep spoon fishing, including 2 over 13, and 2 more over 14. I’ve caught them out of 3 Texas lakes and have caught them in Georgia lakes. I never targeted big fish as others claim. I just spent a lot of time on the water.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/13/18 01:56 AM

In 2017 I had Zero.

roflmao

You better be nice to me or I will run by you like you're tied to a stump again when I get my new boat.

grin

You gonna getcha a new Vexus with a V8 Ken ?

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/13/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

You gonna getcha a new Vexus with a V8 Ken ?

We will see....

banana

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/13/18 02:24 AM

All mine have come from Fork and have come on several different techniques.

Best answer I could say is just time on the water. Then it boils down to a little luck!

True Dat! roflmao

bolt
Posted By: PettyBigBass

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/13/18 01:01 PM

I would recommend a book I read a long time ago, “ how to catch bass over 10 lbs”. The author of the book has caught over 100 fish over 10 pounds. I think his name was Bill Murray or Murphy. That book taught me a lot about deep water structure and where those bass go to feed. He uses a technique called stitching, and very small line. Neither were for me but it definitely helped me become a better angler .
Posted By: Ozark Clark

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/16/18 06:09 PM

Could the book be "In Pursuit Of Giant Bass By Bill Murphy " ? ? ?
Posted By: Texas Bug

Re: How to catch a DD bass - 07/16/18 06:55 PM

Great info!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum