Texas Fishing Forum

square bill rattle or no rattle?

Posted By: TexanTiger

square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 05:27 PM

I have had a lot of success with the strike king KVD 2.5 square bill with a rattle, but now I can only find them in the silent version... has anyone seen a big difference in the amount of strikes between using a silent crank bait vs one with a rattle? I have personally seen a decline in the amount of bites I am getting, but I am not sure that is not due to lack of confidence in the silent one.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 05:34 PM

I don't like the silent ones either.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 05:39 PM

If you're fishing a squarebill correctly (smashing into/deflecting off of) cover, you don't need rattles. That bait moves enough water and causes enough commotion the fish will find it. It's a reaction strike, not a call them to the bait with rattles strike.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 05:41 PM

I like them both. Depends on the conditions.
Posted By: Cole P

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
If you're fishing a squarebill correctly (smashing into/deflecting off of) cover, you don't need rattles. That bait moves enough water and causes enough commotion the fish will find it. It's a reaction strike, not a call them to the bait with rattles strike.

+ 1,000%

If you aren't catching bass it has nothing to do with "rattles".
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 06:00 PM

Somewhat correct. But that rattle can add an additional enticing reaction from the fish when that bait does deflect.

There's no doubt there are times where one may be better than the other. But for most situations, I want the rattle too. YMMV.

Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 06:03 PM

I always thought that rattles mattered the most but lately I've had more luck with the "non-rattling" versions of the SK lures. Maybe like mentioned above its cus I'm making a more concerted effort to "hit" the cover/structure but I kinda think the non-rattling version "sneaks up" on a fish more and they hit from reflex. I only say this as a few times I'll be quite a few feet past the tree and one hits.
Posted By: Barn

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TexanTiger
I have had a lot of success with the strike king KVD 2.5 square bill with a rattle, but now I can only find them in the silent version... has anyone seen a big difference in the amount of strikes between using a silent crank bait vs one with a rattle? I have personally seen a decline in the amount of bites I am getting, but I am not sure that is not due to lack of confidence in the silent one.

Bass Pro carries the rattle version. It might be an exclusive. I have had success with the Academy H20 version with rattles. That is my primary squarebill. Their 2.5 version works well too.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 07:41 PM

I think that for the most part it is a confidence thing. I prefer the rattles and I find that I fish with more confidence. When I only have a silent one I am thinking that they aren't going to bite this the entire time I am fishing and know that it is effecting my presentation.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 08:20 PM

I fish both but I prefer silent most of the time. I think the majority of people fish with rattling baits so I do something different. I feel like silent really shines in clear water and lakes with heavy pressure, the rattles may be better in stained water. Just my observations...
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 08:29 PM

In muddy or heavily stained water I prefer the rattle. Clearer water I usually toss with no rattle.
Posted By: FMJag64

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 08:34 PM

Heard a lot of people say they like the No Rattles version for heavy pressured lakes (Fork etc...) or fish that get tossed at a lot.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/09/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Cole P

+ 1,000%

If you aren't catching bass it has nothing to do with "rattles".

Yes I agree. Good answer.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/10/18 03:15 AM

I pick my rattle choice of water clarity, clear I will go straight silent
Posted By: Jake E

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/10/18 05:55 AM

ya I feel like I get the same amount of strikes with either on most lakes as long as I'm working it right (deflecting off cover,etc.) however, I have fished some muddy lakes where I have noticed a difference, with having more strikes with a rattle. 95% of my bites on them are straight reaction from hitting cover so I dont think it matters on most lakes. I could see how clear lakes and/or heavy pressured lakes may favor no rattle though.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/10/18 12:00 PM

I have done equally well on both.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/10/18 02:04 PM

I feel like it is a confidence thing mostly. My rule of thumb is normally no rattle in clear water and I'll a rattle in stained/muddy water
Posted By: SAKS

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/11/18 05:44 PM

I think they can complement each other. You can throw a rattling bait and then go back through same area if you found fish and throw the silent version. They say fish have short term memory. Gives it that little bit of difference. If the water is staind you might not have the hook up success you had with the rattling version but like was mentioned you should be banging that thing off whatever you can regardless of which one you use.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/11/18 07:20 PM

I always use silent. The hooks hitting the plastic of the bait, and the bait bouncing off the cover is plenty of noise. Plus, most people use the ones with rattles, so mine appears more natural....imo.
Posted By: Slade

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/11/18 08:57 PM

Early in the year, late winter - spring, I use rattles. Later in the year - mid-summer - late fall/winter - silent
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/11/18 09:08 PM

All silent unless it's a mud pit.
Posted By: mwbasser

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/18/18 06:01 AM

Favorite squarebill is the kvd 1.0 silent, and i fish mineral wells which is a mud hole sometimes and have great success, i use black back chart. which helps in the stained water but still no rattles needed
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/18/18 02:54 PM

YES, to both. I just put an article on here telling you the experiences I had with fishing both. Turns out the silent ones caught more fish over an extended period of time. GO look it up and see what it has to say. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. OH, these tests were done with Stanford Cedar Lures, silent running baits, too. Dives up to 6 or 7' on a normal casts. And Strike King 3s and Bill Norman middle N's.

Thad Rains

Here is the link to it, on page 2

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12829302/Fishing_Crankbaits,_is_Silent_#Post12829302

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/18/18 11:45 PM

I pretty much only throw one particular square bill and it only comes in a rattle version. The success I have had on it would blow most peoples minds. It has never left me wishing they made a silent version.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/19/18 03:47 PM

It depends on what you are doing. Generally square bills are looking for a reaction bite, so the more trigger points you use the better. Rattles when crashing through brush, banging off rocks and stumps. Rattles when fishing murky water to give the fish a better target. Silent when fishing clear water, especially open water. In open water you want a squarebill that hunts, not a straight retrieve. When targeting structure, you want one that runs true.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/20/18 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
YES, to both. I just put an article on here telling you the experiences I had with fishing both. Turns out the silent ones caught more fish over an extended period of time. GO look it up and see what it has to say. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. OH, these tests were done with Stanford Cedar Lures, silent running baits, too. Dives up to 6 or 7' on a normal casts. And Strike King 3s and Bill Norman middle N's.

Thad Rains

Here is the link to it, on page 2

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12829302/Fishing_Crankbaits,_is_Silent_#Post12829302

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Do you sell autographed copies of your crankbait dissertation?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/20/18 02:01 PM

The first "square bill" I ever used was a Bagley Balsa B, no rattles. We caught LOTS of fish with them and still do.
I also use recently manufactured lures, the KVD being one of them. They rattle and work quite well.

Fish will tell you which one.
Posted By: 9094

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/20/18 04:26 PM

If I am fishing them over grass I want a rattle. I like to crash them into it and yank free like a lipless. But a lot of times I get bites just reeling it over the grass and I think the rattles are a big help. Around timber and rocks it makes no difference as the bait is making a bunch of noise anyway.
Posted By: Tom Groves

Re: square bill rattle or no rattle? - 07/20/18 10:54 PM

Typically, I use rattles in the summer and silent during the winter months. But, don't limit yourself to that and think outside of the box and try a silent from time to time. I've had great success with both.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum