Texas Fishing Forum

Thoughts on Lake Raven

Posted By: gut hooked

Thoughts on Lake Raven - 07/07/18 02:36 AM

I am fishing lake Raven in the morning with my son. He is 6. I have never fished it. I just want to take the boat and goof around. Any thoughts on where to find any fish would be appreciated.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Thoughts on Lake Raven - 07/07/18 03:18 AM

Fish are in there. Watch for the gators a bunch of them. We usually throw a big worm, but I haven't been out there in a while so I'm not much help.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Thoughts on Lake Raven - 07/07/18 10:34 PM

Good luck.
Posted By: de_legaspi

Re: Thoughts on Lake Raven - 07/13/18 02:35 AM

If you want to put the kiddo on fish, small #12/14 long shank cricket hook with a small redworm/dilly under a bobber on the outside edges of vegetation will get you a bunch of bluegill. That's what I do for my nephews that I take out there and I want to catch something. For the bass in the summer, a slow, slow, slow moving weightless plastic might get you some fish. So hard on this lake for bass, but I have been getting better over the years. Last year around this time I got a few good fish on a jig thrown to log laydowns along the bank, even swimming a jig through some of the fishing docks (cast a jig way back in a dock, and swim it through slowly, making sure to hit a crossbar or piling). I did see a video of Clark Wendtlet (spelling?) catching fish on frog in the muck, but few folks venture into that stuff. Good luck man. This lake has different results for everyone in all skill levels.
Posted By: Garett

Re: Thoughts on Lake Raven - 07/13/18 07:21 PM

I fished it once a week last year. It can be tough. All I can say is when in doubt, throw a rat l trap on windblown points
Posted By: Chet

Re: Thoughts on Lake Raven - 07/13/18 08:49 PM

I thought about quitting smoking.
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Thoughts on Lake Raven - 07/14/18 01:23 PM

I used to fish Raven all the time when I was in Huntsville in the mid '80's, and it was tough to find a bite back then. That was also when the lake record 13.5 was caught by a classmate. It's a pretty little lake to fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum