Texas Fishing Forum

Salvinia boom on Athens?

Posted By: Fish2222

Salvinia boom on Athens? - 07/05/18 09:31 PM

Anyone heard whether the efforts to kill the Salvinia have been effective?

How long y'all think the boom will be in place?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Salvinia boom on Athens? - 07/05/18 09:57 PM

Yes, we received an email about a week ago that stated that in their last survey of the lake looking for Giant Salvinia, none was found.

I have been looking for it on my side of the lake, up and beyond the 2495 bridge, haven't ever seen any evidence of it.

No word about what the outcome will be for the boom, whether it will be removed any time soon.

Some boats seem to get over it easy, others not so much!

Brad
Posted By: mikemtx

Re: Salvinia boom on Athens? - 07/06/18 01:39 AM

Is it ok to go over the boom and fish that area?
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Salvinia boom on Athens? - 07/06/18 01:42 AM

Yes , shallow though .
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Salvinia boom on Athens? - 07/06/18 03:00 AM

Brad,

I was in the "Not So Much" category when I tried to fish that side of the lake during the spawn shortly after it went up and TPWD posted that it was OK to cross. I got stuck between the sponsons and Power Pole Bracket, then I couldn't get the motor over it. Flagged someone down asking them to hold it down for me, they tried to tell me it was illegal to cross.

I decided not to go fish up there, I am sure they had a really nice spawn with not many anglers molesting them! So, I came back across and learned the trick, momentum...

I don't think any of our MBC teams went up there a couple of weeks ago, and no, we didn't make it "off limits".
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Salvinia boom on Athens? - 07/06/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Brad,

I was in the "Not So Much" category when I tried to fish that side of the lake during the spawn shortly after it went up and TPWD posted that it was OK to cross. I got stuck between the sponsons and Power Pole Bracket, then I couldn't get the motor over it. Flagged someone down asking them to hold it down for me, they tried to tell me it was illegal to cross.

I decided not to go fish up there, I am sure they had a really nice spawn with not many anglers molesting them! So, I came back across and learned the trick, momentum...

I don't think any of our MBC teams went up there a couple of weeks ago, and no, we didn't make it "off limits".

David, for sure, we have had much less boat traffic on the bridge side of the boom this year. I do see the occasional exception but maybe 1/10th of the normal number.

It seems to me that most prefer to head deeper and more toward the dam these months,anyway, but I still hope all signs of the Giant Salvinia are gone, the boom gets carted away.

Brad
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Salvinia boom on Athens? - 07/06/18 02:16 PM

Until someone brings it back in from another lake. Cold winter hammered it pretty good seems like on multiple lakes
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum