Texas Fishing Forum

Shakey Head hookup ratio

Posted By: WasThataBite

Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 08:44 PM

I have never fished a Shakey Head. Just looking at the design of it, I’m wondering if the hookup is good on them?
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 08:51 PM

Never have had a real problem getting hooked up throwing finesse type stuff - trick worms, finesse worms, etc.
Posted By: WasThataBite

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 08:57 PM

I’m wanting to try the Xcite Shakey Head on a large worm. Anyone used these? If so, is the hookup good for these?
Posted By: SWH

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 08:59 PM

I have recently become a believer in the Shaky Head. I’ve been amazed at the quality of hookup Ratio with cheap big bass bites 3/0 3/16 heads
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 09:13 PM

I catch almost every one that bites. I use spot remover jig heads.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 09:29 PM

+1 for the Spot remover heads have hooked up with just about all of my bites on it this year including a 9.63 that blew 4 times trying everything she could to spit it out and I still had to use pliers to extract the hook from her
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 09:48 PM

If using the Magnum Shakey head and big worms treat it just like a big tx rig as far as rod, line etc. I use a 7'3-7'6 heavy and 20lb fluorocarbon
Posted By: Fish-ed

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 09:55 PM

Where do you get the spot remover jig heads? I did a search on tackle warehouse and land big fish and it came up not found. If you don't mind me asking what kind of bait do you use on a shakey head rig? I haven't fished it yet, but would like to give it a try.

Thanks, Ed
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 09:59 PM

Walmart or Academy for the jig heads. I use a straight worm like a trick worm.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 10:05 PM

What Jaret Latta said. I use 2 versions, the BIG and the small. 3/16 or 1/4 weight and a 1/0 hook AND a 1/2 oz weight and a 3-5/0 hook. Fish them both on 17# test, sometimes 12 on the smaller rig and 15 on the bigger rig. Depends on what I have with me. Hook up almost all of the fish they bite, unless I do not set the hook and then it is zero caught. So, at least do a minor or sweep hook set, would be my advice. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 11:02 PM

Ledge hoppers at bass pro, mostly 3/8 oz, but sometimes 1/2 oz or 1/4 oz. bait mostly straight tail worms or senkos. The offset hook makes almost zero misses.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/02/18 11:22 PM

Spot Remover Magnum is my favorite 1/4 99% of the time
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/03/18 01:04 AM

95 percent. Rarely lose one.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/03/18 09:04 PM

I'm a fan of the Owner shaky head jigs. You'll like the centering pin on the screw bait holder - it helps the bait screw straight onto the holder which can reduce tearing off. I fish 1/8 oz. mostly, which has a 4/0 hook where most other 1/8 sizes have a 3/0. I rarely miss a hook-up. Also works well on smaller size craws.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/04/18 01:02 PM

The hook up ratio is good, but I would suggest not boat flipping fish. I have noticed they don't stay hooked up when lifting them. I don't know the physics behind it, but they pop off at the boat more then a Trig will.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/04/18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: scott123456789
I have recently become a believer in the Shaky Head. I’ve been amazed at the quality of hookup Ratio with cheap big bass bites 3/0 3/16 heads

Those are well worth the money but I’ve noticed the spring bait keeper will work it’s self loose after a few fish

Hands down the best I’ve used are the ones from llsvillerat here on the forum. Gammy hook and great paint. And buy them 50 at a time the price is hard to beat.
Posted By: JerryC

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/04/18 03:24 PM

I use the Owner ultra head 3/16, great hook-up ratio
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/04/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Marooned
I'm a fan of the Owner shaky head jigs. You'll like the centering pin on the screw bait holder - it helps the bait screw straight onto the holder which can reduce tearing off. I fish 1/8 oz. mostly, which has a 4/0 hook where most other 1/8 sizes have a 3/0. I rarely miss a hook-up. Also works well on smaller size craws.

What marooned said. No matter the brand, make sure it has a center pin on the screw. I use the Owner 3/16" with 3/0 hook. I'll usually have a fluke on it, but I've caught just as many with the smaller Senko in pearl color on Fork. Use whatever you want, it'll still catch fish, I also use a Biffle Bug
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/04/18 04:58 PM

Finch nasty 1/2 oz are good
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Shakey Head hookup ratio - 07/04/18 05:09 PM

The twist long ones are junk! I hand pour the spike worm holder ones and they will hook em every time no problem at all even use them at falcon in 1oz and 6ot hook never a problem its the design that lets the worm slide out of the way which is the opposite on the screw long its just holding the worm there no letting it move and gets in the way! I have done a lot of research on this!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum