Texas Fishing Forum

LBJ tomorrow??

Posted By: fivebites

LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/28/18 10:26 PM

Never been on the lake. Just moved to Austin and Lake Travis is getting tiring with all the dinks. Bastrop is similar. I've heard the average size is better at LBJ and it's closer to me than anything except Travis. I'm used to fishing Fork, Twok, Ray Bob etc, and these deep clear no cover no grass lakes are driving me nuts! Any help? PM me if you don't want it on here. Best place to put in coming from 1431 to Marble Falls? Docks? Grass? Running it? Anything will help!! Thanks!!
Posted By: OIF3

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/28/18 11:19 PM

Google Cottonwood Shores it’s off 2147, or go to Kingsland Community Park off of Eul Moore Dr. in Kingsland. More docks than you can fish in a day. Grass very little if any, anymore. Running just watch for bouys about mid lake gets shallow real quick. Watch your graph!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/28/18 11:39 PM

Gets crazy on the weekends with rec boats and jet skis. Docks all day or offshore. Definitely better avg size. Lots if 3-5lbers in LBJ
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 01:01 AM

Wash tub lake!

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 01:39 AM

Thanks guys...it's on tomorrow morning! As far as putting in, looks like it's either Cottonwood or the Lake LBJ yacht club ramp. Best depth if i'm not fishing docks? I don't have a paper lake map. Is it really deep like Travis or more like E. Texas lakes?
Posted By: bklem

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 01:49 AM

Following. Bought a house there this spring and I can't get em figured out for anything! Keep thinking I should find them stacked up on deepwater humps and ledges but so far I am a failure.

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 02:08 AM

Granite shoals has a couple "neighborhood" launches. Learn how to fish docks
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 02:13 AM

What happened to the grass, did LCRA nuke it?
Posted By: wtf242

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14

There's still plenty of grass in the lake, but it's not everywhere. There's 2 huge grass areas on the lower lake

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: wtf242
Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14

There's still plenty of grass in the lake, but it's not everywhere. There's 2 huge grass areas on the lower lake

Got a name for those areas? AAlmost daylight and just hit Marble falls.Thanks!!
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 01:38 PM

The entire length of the dam is covered in grass.

Also, be prepared for the "witches hair" on this lake. It's everywhere.
Posted By: speedboat

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 02:06 PM

square bills and T-rigged soft plastics are working pretty well. Every now and then you can hook a good one.
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 02:30 PM

I was just there for 5 days. We smoked them fishing shallow rock early then heading to the docks once the sun got up. Light c rig on the rocks and a jig and whacky rig on the docks.

Also did really good one night fishing the lights.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: fivebites
Thanks guys...it's on tomorrow morning! As far as putting in, looks like it's either Cottonwood or the Lake LBJ yacht club ramp. Best depth if i'm not fishing docks? I don't have a paper lake map. Is it really deep like Travis or more like E. Texas lakes?

Not deep like Travis. It's frustrating to fish bottom baits on that lake unless you're in grass or on a rocky bottom, which are few and far between. They are there, but you gotta use your Side Scan. There are brush piles on the lake too. During the Summer I usually go at night and fish dock lights. I don't fish there during the day very much in the Summer; September-May is when I fish during the day there. There are a few good offshore places on the lake, but not near as many as Travis. If you see rocks or a hard bottom out deep it's usually worth a few casts.

Depth doesn't really matter when it comes to docks on that lake. I've caught them on 10ft docks and 2ft docks. Look for isolated docks or docks that are irregular in a row of other docks. Docks that have a clean bottom are usually best. The fish will suspend above that snot grass. You just have to deal with it on that lake. It sucks but it is what it is. Topwater can be good in the morning or evening.

The grass is only on the lower end of the lake. There are several different types of grass but Hydrilla, Coontail, and Milfoil are dominant.

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 06:47 PM

Thanks all! Hit the lake around 6:30. Put in at Yacht club and found some Lily pads. Caught 3 on frog. 2.5 biggest but looked like a good start. Hit the main point near and found out they have a HUGE bell that gongs! I almost soiled my shorts! Got a couple more on a square bill and did find the hydrilla but it was 11am, skiers everywhere, and getting hot. Fished hydrilla half hour and zeroed. Off the water at noon. 5 total. Cool lake. I like the water color and looks like this might be my go to lake rather than Travis. Need to do some map study and hit it during the week!
Posted By: BassAg

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 07:35 PM

You also have all the other lakes right there in the same area, Buchanan, Inks, Marble Falls.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/29/18 07:46 PM

Thanks all! Hit the lake around 6:30. Put in at Yacht club and found some Lily pads. Caught 3 on frog. 2.5 biggest but looked like a good start. Hit the main point near and found out they have a HUGE bell that gongs! I almost soiled my shorts! Got a couple more on a square bill and did find the hydrilla but it was 11am, skiers everywhere, and getting hot. Fished hydrilla half hour and zeroed. Off the water at noon. 5 total. Cool lake. I like the water color and looks like this might be my go to lake rather than Travis. Need to do some map study and hit it during the week!

Yeah, that bell will get you. Hahaha. It usually starts around 8:00-8:15am and goes all day, every 15 minutes. It's definitely better during the week as far as traffic goes, that's for sure. LBJ becomes pretty tough to fish during the Summer. There isn't a whole lot of offshore structure and cover, so you're pretty much limited to the grass or boat docks, and it's hard to fish some it because of the boat traffic. The lake fishes much better during the Fall and on through the Spring. Stick with it and it'll produce for you eventually.

PM me if you need any more info.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/30/18 04:11 AM

You should go a little north and fish Buchanan. I think it's fishing the best out of all the central texas lakes this year.

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/30/18 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: wtf242
You should go a little north and fish Buchanan. I think it's fishing the best out of all the central texas lakes this year.

Was that an invitation or just sage advice?
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/30/18 10:26 PM

Why do the bass never seem to set up deep on these lakes? I fished Buchanan and lbj a couple weeks ago. Graphed both for a few hours before I went shallow. Back home in east texas you can find them deep on any of these lakes right now. I’ve never got on a deep point bite at either one of these lakes. They seem to be shallow year around.

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 06/30/18 11:48 PM

Buchanan has deep fish as does LBJ. If LBJ didn't have all the docks and constant level, it would be all offshore

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 07/01/18 03:04 PM

I've been asking myself the same thing. Tried again yesterday and found no fish deep. Went shallow and caught three in 5-8' on a jerk bait. Came back home and was sitting on my dock way back in a creek and watched numerous bass up to 3-4 lbs cruising. I'm obviously not real smart as those bass were telling me what everyone who fishes this lake a lot says-the bass stay shallow here. Makes no sense as the surface temp is just about right for making those fancy Sous Vide steaks back here! That being said, I know there has to be some fish deep off shore and I am bound and determined to find them.

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 07/01/18 05:28 PM

The first point west of the dam on the north side reminds me of the main lake point at Lake Fork by it's shape. I spent about 30 minutes graphing it. Some bait but not many bass and had no takers. I fished from about 15' down to 35' with a CR and a deep diving crank bait. Don't understand why that point wouldn't be stacked up with fish at this time of the year. I didn't get around much of the lake other than from the dam up to about 1/2 mile from there in the five hours I was there. The crankbait fish I caught were in less than 10' on rocks. Yea...all two of them! LOL! But, I think with TOW it will be a good lake for me. It's only 37 miles from my garage to the ramp at the Yacht club on LBJ. Buchanan is about an hour and twenty so I can't just scoot over there in the late afternoons or half days. I'll eventually find em! Just gotta go during the week!

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 07/01/18 08:27 PM

The first point west of the dam on the north side reminds me of the main lake point at Lake Fork by it's shape. I spent about 30 minutes graphing it. Some bait but not many bass and had no takers. I fished from about 15' down to 35' with a CR and a deep diving crank bait. Don't understand why that point wouldn't be stacked up with fish at this time of the year. I didn't get around much of the lake other than from the dam up to about 1/2 mile from there in the five hours I was there. The crankbait fish I caught were in less than 10' on rocks. Yea...all two of them! LOL! But, I think with TOW it will be a good lake for me. It's only 37 miles from my garage to the ramp at the Yacht club on LBJ. Buchanan is about an hour and twenty so I can't just scoot over there in the late afternoons or half days. I'll eventually find em! Just gotta go during the week!

That is the RV park point, correct? It has some grass and is actually the only place I have found so far that I have confidence in catching them-albeit not killing them for sure. LOL

Re: LBJ tomorrow?? - 07/04/18 07:32 PM

Out of curiosity does the power plant produce enough hot water to bring/keep bass there in the winter?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum