Texas Fishing Forum

C-Rig Line

Posted By: Bas-ii-tis

C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 05:13 PM

I知 fishing grassy bottoms and wanting presences on what line you prefer out of braid or Flouro for these hot summer days. Thanks for any advice and opinions. Tight lines. Be safe
Posted By: fouzman

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 05:30 PM

Lots of guys will say braid mainline with a fluoro, mono or co-polymer leader. I prefer 20 pound fluoro, straight.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
braid mainline with a fluoro, mono or co-polymer leader.
Posted By: Fishin4TX

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 06:12 PM

15lb fluro then below the swivel 12lb mono, keeps the bait up off the bottom just a tad

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishin4TX
15lb fluro then below the swivel 12lb mono, keeps the bait up off the bottom just a tad

I'm liking this setup....i just figured the braid would scare off the bigguns w/ lock jaws
Posted By: fouzman

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 07:14 PM

mono keeps the bait up off the bottom just a tad

That's a wives tale. The ONLY thing that will keep your bait off the bottom is a bait that will float your hook. And there are very few of those. Secondly, when using a CRig, you don't want your bait up off the bottom. It is a presentation specifically for fish relating to the bottom. If they're up off the bottom, there are much better options than the ball and chain. You want your weight, bead, swivel and bait to maintain bottom contact at all times.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 07:46 PM

I prefer 50lb Power Pro braid for my main line....below the swivel is 20lb Big Game Green.
Success.....as pictured.
Posted By: buda13

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 07:49 PM

I'll add one to the mix... 20 LB Copolymer mainline and 15 lb Copolymer leader. banana

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
I prefer 50lb Power Pro braid for my main line....below the swivel is 20lb Big Game Green.
Success.....as pictured.

Nice fish man!....do you use the power pro slick or the regular ???
Posted By: Clark3

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 07:59 PM

Straight 15lb big game for main and leader
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 08:22 PM

50lb braid, 20lb mono
Posted By: GROD

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 08:26 PM

20lb flouro main and 17lb flouro leader. It痴 all a confidence thing in my opinion. I think we as bass fisherman over think a lot of situations and techniques.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Bas-ii-tis

I'm liking this setup....i just figured the braid would scare off the bigguns w/ lock jaws

if they have lock jaw, are in a foul mood, or just not eating, a rig is not the best presentation IMO. In that circumstance i have better success with a reaction strike on a moving bait than a feeding presentation.

Some guys swear braid mainline scares the fish. However i have been out-rigged by a guy with braid ml when i am using fluoro, and i have been out-rigged by a guy with fluoro when i am using braid. The common theme here is its not hard to out-fish me regardless of the line type grin

I would guess i have spent several thousand hours dragging a rig around tx waters, after much experimenting i just go braid main line. If i am not getting bit then i switch up to a jig on fluoro. YMMV
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 08:57 PM

I use braid maid main line and then put a copolymer leader on it. I put McCoys Mean Green on as leader and it is strong and has a little stretch to it and almost no memory. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bas-ii-tis
Success.....as pictured.

Nice fish man!....do you use the power pro slick or the regular ???

I use the regular....lasts forever.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 09:42 PM

Brain main 40 or 50 lb...flouro leader after swivel
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 10:03 PM

Success.....as pictured.

I知 going to set the over/under at 5 for number of times you post that picture.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 10:30 PM

20lb fluorocarbon mainline and leader all the way for stained water. 20lb fluoro mainline with a 15-17lb fluoro leader for clearer water.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 10:31 PM

Anyone fish it without a swivel but a bobber stop instead?
Posted By: J-2

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/27/18 11:17 PM

Same but I知 using 20lb fluro with 14lb mono leader.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 12:22 AM

I use 65 lb braid, 1oz tungsten weight, 3-4 foot InvisX 20lb leader. I use a Biffle bug when fishing grass. I stuff a foam ear plug in its "rattle chamber". It floats very well. Works well too.

If I'm fishing rocky bottom stuff, I'll simply use a zoom lizard.

The 65 lb braid is to save the $10 weight and Spro swivel.

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Success.....as pictured.

Just making a point Frank.....and making it well I might add.
Posted By: Mrs. fouzman

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Brent S

Only on very light line, 12-18" leader with no more than a 1/4 oz. weight. KILLER pre-spawn rig, especially around the edges of grass. Otherwise, I'm throwing 3/4 or 1 oz weights and the stops just aren't suited for that set-up.

Steez, I like the earplug deal. cheers

m.f.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Mrs. fouzman
Originally Posted By: Brent S

Only on very light line, 12-18" leader with no more than a 1/4 oz. weight. KILLER pre-spawn rig, especially around the edges of grass. Otherwise, I'm throwing 3/4 or 1 oz weights and the stops just aren't suited for that set-up.

Steez, I like the earplug deal. cheers

m.f.

Dang it! Did I type that out loud?! Ha
Posted By: hunter1313

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 03:16 AM

I use 15 lb big game main line to swivel and 12 lb big game to bait. I use this set-up almost all year. I fish a c-rig way to much and fish it from 6" to 30'.

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
I use braid maid main line and then put a copolymer leader on it. I put McCoys Mean Green on as leader and it is strong and has a little stretch to it and almost no memory. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Thank you sir

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I use 65 lb braid, 1oz tungsten weight, 3-4 foot InvisX 20lb leader. I use a Biffle bug when fishing grass. I stuff a foam ear plug in its "rattle chamber". It floats very well. Works well too.

If I'm fishing rocky bottom stuff, I'll simply use a zoom lizard.

The 65 lb braid is to save the $10 weight and Spro swivel.

That Biffle bug looks Sexyyyyyyyyy
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 12:02 PM

I thought I was the only one to use the foam ear plug technique .
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 12:39 PM

Success.....as pictured.

Winner! cheers
Posted By: Cmack

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
I thought I was the only one to use the foam ear plug technique .

Nope, I put one in a tube bait with a split shop about 4 inches from the bait. It's simply magic on bedding fish.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 01:11 PM

Braid and 12# mono
Posted By: Dabaker421

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
I'll add one to the mix... 20 LB Copolymer mainline and 15 lb Copolymer leader. banana

THIS
Posted By: L a r r y

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 03:57 PM

20lb Seaguar Inviszx main line....12-14lb mono, which ever spool I take it off of...and a 2/0 straight shank hook
Posted By: cjbles

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 05:53 PM

50lb braid with 20lb fluorocarbon leader.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 08:20 PM

That's a wives tale. The ONLY thing that will keep your bait off the bottom is a bait that will float your hook. And there are very few of those. Secondly, when using a CRig, you don't want your bait up off the bottom. It is a presentation specifically for fish relating to the bottom. If they're up off the bottom, there are much better options than the ball and chain. You want your weight, bead, swivel and bait to maintain bottom contact at all times.

After watching underwater video of C-rig tests with mono and flouro leaders and usual plastics - I agree - leader material makes no discernible difference. The plastic is just being drug along the bottom with either mono or flouro leader.

Hopping or pulling the C-rig weigh up off bottom probably gives the plastic a different look from a T-rig, jig, etc. But otherwise makes one wonder if using a C-rig has any real advantage over other bottom-crawling techniques.
Posted By: J-SPENCER

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 08:38 PM

20# inviszx all the way to the hook, 1oz weight,two glass beads with two carolina keepers

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: OldChamp

After watching underwater video of C-rig tests with mono and flour leaders and usual plastics - I agree - leader material makes no discernible difference. The plastic is just being drug along the bottom with either mono or flour leader.

Hopping or pulling the C-rig weigh up off bottom probably gives the plastic a different look from a T-rig, jig, etc. But otherwise makes one wonder if using a C-rig has any real advantage over other bottom-crawling techniques.

* Hopping on YouTube now *

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 09:40 PM

Success.....as pictured.

Looks at self in mirror and fingers guns himself and winks at himself ^^^^^ grin
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/28/18 10:50 PM

This is so true. Your bait moves more freely on a C-rig but it does not float unless you use a bait that will float the weight of the hook.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/29/18 12:33 AM

20# Big Game mono main line with 15# Big Game mono leader.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/29/18 12:42 AM

After watching underwater video of C-rig tests with mono and flouro leaders and usual plastics - I agree - leader material makes no discernible difference. The plastic is just being drug along the bottom with either mono or flouro leader.

It's more of a matter of efficiency in deep water. A C-rig is just more efficient in deepwater than a TX rig. Doesn't take long for a 1 oz weight to hit bottom in 25 feet. Experience has also taught me that a 1 oz weight banging around on the bottom will get more bites than a 3/4 oz weight. The bigger weight kicks up the silt better and makes more commotion on the bottom which I believe draws more strikes.

There are exceptions to every rule but I fish a 1 oz bullet weight even in water as shallow as 8 feet if cover allows.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/29/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

It's more of a matter of efficiency in deep water. A C-rig is just more efficient in deepwater than a TX rig. Doesn't take long for a 1 oz weight to hit bottom in 25 feet. Experience has also taught me that a 1 oz weight banging around on the bottom will get more bites than a 3/4 oz weight. The bigger weight kicks up the silt better and makes more commotion on the bottom which I believe draws more strikes.

There are exceptions to every rule but I fish a 1 oz bullet weight even in water as shallow as 8 feet if cover allows.

Can't argue with the bigger C-rig weight. That was driven home a number of years ago on a guide trip at Falcon - upsizing from 1 oz C-rig weight to 1 1/2 oz made significant difference in results.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/29/18 01:53 AM

I use 20# fluorocarbon line as a main line for strength, sensitivity and controlled stretch. I used to use braid as a main line but I fish the C-rig around a lot of timber and when the weight gets hung I can get it to pop loose better with a line with some stretch than with braid that has no stretch. I use P Line CXX in 15# test as a leader because of its strength and abrasion resistance.

I tested tungsten weights vs lead weights and since I don't fish it around rocks, I did not see any advantage that tungsten had over lead and lead is WAY cheaper.

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/29/18 02:12 AM

Success.....as pictured.

Looks at self in mirror and fingers guns himself and winks at himself ^^^^^ grin

Can't look at self in mirror without painful regret......sorry Frank.
But you're a giant Richard sometimes.

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/29/18 05:00 AM

I知 just messin with ya man. That痴 why I put the grin. Good on ya for a nice fish. I love c-rig fishing. It痴 a blast.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: C-Rig Line - 06/29/18 11:11 PM

Y誕ll are schooling me on the foam ear plug stuff- I had not thought about that - very cool.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum