Texas Fishing Forum

Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing

Posted By: LeonSulak

Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 01:31 PM

I was noticing some of the pro’s had them off on BASS live
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 01:37 PM

If I’m fishing less than 4 feet of water I turn the sonar off on both units. The pinging sound is loud above water so I assume it transmits twice as far below water. I’ve had days when I forget to turn the rear unit off and I struggle to catch fish.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 02:13 PM

Ultrex is louder then graphs in shallow water.....
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 02:43 PM

I’m not a believer in that. No way it’s louder then a trolling motor.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 02:49 PM

put them in standby when not looking at them.
pulls a lot of amps out of the battery.
standby shut off the ping and screen.
but keeps the gps current
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 03:25 PM

According to Ralph Manns, you are better off turning your electronics off while fishing. So, I do that. He conducted a 2 weeks test, on a cordoned off cove 1 hour with the graph on, 1 hour with the graph off. He found he caught a LOT more fish, like 325% more fish with the graph off for at least 30 minutes. Who is Ralph Manns? He only writes fishing articles for a whole ton of fishing magazines and he was one of the guys that started the Sharalunker program. He also worked over 30 years as an icthologist for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. So, what he says carries a lot of weight for me, but he may not for you. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 03:46 PM

Could be just a habit, turn something off when you’re not using it. I don’t leave my bedroom light on while I’m at work.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 03:52 PM

On a lowrance gen 3, will putting in it “standby” turn off the sonar? I am seeing mixed reviews when I researched it.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 03:53 PM

I do when I know the area real well, and also when sight fishing all the time.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 05:28 PM

I turn the big unit off if I'm on the T/M.. That saves a lot of extra juice for other stuff, I can't recall who told me, but, with the front bird in Di there is no ping, I use a split screen up front, Down Imagiming-GPS trail...
Everybodys different, my deal seems to work for me..
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 06:10 PM

Messed around with it both ways. I put mine to sleep just to save the battery.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: LeonSulak
On a lowrance gen 3, will putting in it “standby” turn off the sonar? I am seeing mixed reviews when I researched it.

Yes. Standby on Lowrance units kills Sonar and the backlight.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 07:39 PM

Never.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 07:51 PM

Stand by more here.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Never.

Yeah me either. The Whopper Plopper covers the ping noise. Besides I usually slap the water with my lure before every cast so .........
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 10:23 PM

Bass fishing yes
Crappie fishing no

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Never.

Yeah me either. The Whopper Plopper covers the ping noise. Besides I usually slap the water with my lure before every cast so .........

Ok, in the near future, when I'm in your back seat of your boat, and sneak up and turn the big unit off, promise you won't hit me in the head with that big azz WP'er..... roflmao
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/23/18 11:26 PM

Selecting stop chart on lowrance will stop the ping.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 01:16 AM

mega pings or clicks and you can hear it, 360 makes a ton of noise more of a whuring sound. I leave them both on Ive turned them off a few times when I had a killer pattern going and didnt see any improvement.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Never.

Ok, in the near future, when I'm in your back seat of your boat, and sneak up and turn the big unit off, promise you won't hit me in the head with that big azz WP'er..... roflmao

Your funny Billy. Guess you read where I hook another buddy in the head with a buzz bait. No I wouldn't do that to you but you can damn sure share my boat anytime, even fish off the front of it. thumb
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 02:12 AM

I put mine in Standby and this eliminates the startup mode. This is like your computer in hybernate mode.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 03:46 AM

Yup.... have since they existed...there have been studies....not hard to figure out
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 01:03 PM

If I know the lake I do not turn on my graphs at all. Zero doubt in my mind they spook fish, particularly big fish.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 01:04 PM

Everything off while fishing in shallow water. I believe bigger fish equate them with danger, just like the sound of an outboard or trolling motor.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 01:07 PM

"Ken Smith, in his 2013 article “Double Digits, It Can Happen to You” relayed a story about an encounter he had with John Hope in the early 1990’s. In the story, Ken tells that he was invited along to join Hope while he was tracking a large 15lb fish they had tagged on Lake Fork in East Texas. The fish had a home territory on a run of the mill secondary point of which there are hundreds on Lake Fork. Ken even identified the location of the fish, (32°50.780N and 95°34.862W) to help drive home the point that big bass do not operate like the Loch Ness Monster occupying haunts in the deepest darkest depths of the lake. One cypress tree in particular was a common location for the fish to suspend in about 12 feet of water. As Hope approached the location in the boat, he killed the engine about 150 yards away from the cypress tree. He then instructed all the occupants of the boat to be perfectly quiet. He positioned the boat so that the wind gently blew the boat within 10 yards of the cypress tree and then past about another 150 yards or so. The entire time they monitored the fish and noted it did not move from its suspended location adjacent to the cypress. Firing up the big motor they circled around for another pass. This time, Hope flipped on his fish finder. After only drifting a few yards, the trophy fish swam off from the cypress in the opposite direction. They never got closer than 80 yards to the fish. Hope noted that similar reactions occurred with a variety of boat noise including trolling motors and the sound of noisy anglers. One minor exception of note was that on occasion they were able to approach big fish with trolling motor on constant. However, cycling trolling motors on and off he noted was a dead giveaway that virtually always put big fish on the move." Excerpt from High Percentage Fishing
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711
Could be just a habit, turn something off when you’re not using it. I don’t leave my bedroom light on while I’m at work.

+1
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 02:04 PM

I know Lowrance has a Standby mode. Do Humminbirds? Specifically Helixes?
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 02:58 PM

I will put which ever one I’m not using at the time on standby.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000
I know Lowrance has a Standby mode. Do Humminbirds? Specifically Helixes?
Yes the Helix does for sure not sure about the others.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 03:14 PM

I have always kept mine on but I will give it a shot with it off and see if it makes much difference.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 03:46 PM

yesterday people were swmiing 50 yards away from were I was fishing. I caught fish.
Posted By: justfishin89

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 04:50 PM

Stand by
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 05:11 PM

no
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 05:14 PM

Stand-by only to save battery power.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 06:06 PM

I just read where the LSS will not turn off in stanby. You would need to stop sonar. Anyone else heard this?

Also, after reading Ken Smith’s article, do any of yall not listen to music while fishing because of this?

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 06:45 PM

My only comments comes by way of George Costanza, if you tell somebody something and they believe it, it's not a lie. After bass fishing for some 40 odd years with every kind of electronics available, including one of those stupid Hydrowaves, I have never turned any of them off while fishing and I was within 20 ft. of the 14.19 I caught with everything on including a radio with ACDC screaming behind me. So, if you believe noise of any kind keeps you from catching bass then turn it off. Me, I like watching my Humminbird while I'm fishing but no more ACDC. Maybe a little George Strait though. With that, ya'll have a nice day.

Posted By: beeflover

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/24/18 07:20 PM

my dad told me to start being silent so I didn't spook fish as soon as we got in the car to go.

how bout the noise from pumps like the livewell? I don't like the extra noise and try to save batteries where I can. This and mortality is big reason I'm a proponent of paper tournies.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca
yesterday people were swmiing 50 yards away from were I was fishing. I caught fish.

From the studies I saw it only seemed to matter much to the bigger fish. Those over 7lbs. Gig'em's story would be a contrary data point. I'd be curious to know from him though if that fish were caught during the spawn.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: LeonSulak

If the Gen3 touch screen is like the Gen2 touch, it does not turn off the sonar but it will stop the down image and side image, so when you bring it out of stand by mode you will have to touch the screen for either the down image or side image, hit he menu button and turn the side and down image back on. Touch the screen at the bottom right to get them started again.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: heybaylor
put them in standby when not looking at them.
pulls a lot of amps out of the battery.
standby shut off the ping and screen.
but keeps the gps current

This is what I do.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: coachallentca

From the studies I saw it only seemed to matter much to the bigger fish. Those over 7lbs. Gig'em's story would be a contrary data point. I'd be curious to know from him though if that fish were caught during the spawn.

Was caught on Labor Day Jpurdue, suspended about 10 ft. in 25' of water. Fish was less than 20' from my boat and all the noise. Maybe on a calm day when the water is flat noise makes a difference but on Fork with all the boat traffic I think the bass acclimate themselves. There are a couple of community humps close to boat lanes and lots of bass caught off them. If you think the pinging from transducers or trolling motor noise keeps you from catching bass then turn'em off. I don't let'em keep me from catching fish.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 06:46 PM

I was within 20 ft. of the 14.19 I caught with everything on including a radio with ACDC screaming behind me. So, if you believe noise of any kind keeps you from catching bass then turn it off. Me, I like watching my Humminbird while I'm fishing but no more ACDC. Maybe a little George Strait though. With that, ya'll have a nice day.

I have a 70 something Doctor buddy I fish with on Fork that will have Ludacris blasting, and we catch fish regardless of my complaints.... LOL..
I'm more of a Conway Tweety Rob Zombie guy eeks
Many a time, my wife and I have caught the snot out of fish to Adel...

When I'm on the serious hunt, I take all precautions to conceal my presents... Hussssh Husssh then...
I really believe it's up to the individual, whatever you have confidence it cheers

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 07:54 PM

Billy I would be suspicious of a 70 yr. old doctor who jams to Ludacris. Uh, by the way, what race did you say he was ? I don't play the radio anymore while I'm fishing, I sing to the fish. You should hear me do "He stopped loving her Today" while I'm reeling one in.

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 10:44 PM

Billy I would be suspicious of a 70 yr. old doctor who jams to Ludacris. Uh, by the way, what race did you say he was ? I don't play the radio anymore while I'm fishing, I sing to the fish. You should hear me do "He stopped loving her Today" while I'm reeling one in.
Lmaoooo roflmao
Chris Fetner, Silver haired white guy.... I'm a die hard conservative, he's a liberal... Nuf said, but he's still a super cool guy. You'd like him thumb

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/25/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Lmaoooo roflmao
Chris Fetner, Silver haired white guy.... I'm a die hard conservative, he's a liberal... Nuf said, but he's still a super cool guy. You'd like him thumb

He must be a good dude if you're fishing with him but I don't think I could handle rap music, however they're even rapping in church these days. World's coming to an end.
Posted By: GODSDOZER

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/26/18 05:16 AM

I fish with Eminem, ludicrous, Dr. Drey, Rehana , skylar grey...…………….I don't catch many but my gosh I have fun...…………….
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Do you turn your graphs (helm) off while fishing - 06/26/18 01:16 PM

Leave everything on , I don’t really think about turning anything off to save battery or sneak up on fish , I do stay in area for a while ,
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum