Texas Fishing Forum

What is your go-to Jig color?

Posted By: LeonSulak

What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 12:17 AM

I am wanting to make it a point to catch a fish on one this summer. What is your go-to?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 12:19 AM

green pumpkin, black/blue, and Cali 420 are the only colors I use.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 12:47 AM

get a color resembling the forage the fish are feeding on. craws, shad, or bluegill. keep it pretty basic and just KNOW they will bite it. 99% of jig fishing is confidence.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 12:55 AM

Chartreuse/Black! hooked
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 01:26 AM

My 5 best Living Rubber Crayfish colors:

Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 01:46 AM

Black/ Blue original Stanley's... Dan

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 01:59 AM

Ive been using V&M jigs, and have a few Santone jigs left. The santone jigs hook up and hold the fish better. better hook and angle I guess. Ive lost a few key fish the last year that I believe would have stayed pinned on the Santone Jigs. I want to order some more santone jigs but TW doesnt carry the color I need.
Posted By: Bas-ii-tis

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Chartreuse/Black! hooked

^^^THIS and Blk&blue
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
Ive been using V&M jigs, and have a few Santone jigs left. The santone jigs hook up and hold the fish better. better hook and angle I guess. Ive lost a few key fish the last year that I believe would have stayed pinned on the Santone Jigs. I want to order some more santone jigs but TW doesnt carry the color I need.

This website probably does. http://www.santonelures.com/
Posted By: ClarkC

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:03 AM

Black and blue with a black and blue crawfish trailer. There are a ton of good jigs out there and they will all catch fish but the next time I buy a few I will buy this. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/strike-king-denny-brauer-structure-jig It really seems to come through brush and moss great and still stands up much like a football jig. I like the skirt to have most of the blue on the bottom and I like the same with what ever trailer I pick. I use a Strike King Rage Craw a lot but also use several other similar trailers. If I had one weight to pick it would be 1/2 oz. If the brush or moss is thick or you're fishing deep on a windy day, you may want 3/4 oz. If fishing fairly shallow and the cover isn't real thick you may want to go with 3/8 oz.

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:09 AM

Does blk/blue match crawfish better than Green pumpkin? Just seems most prefer blk/blue

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:10 AM

Here is a good video which should also help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdwTZQLj1Y About 4 minutes in Mark give some good tips on how to trim the skirt and weed guard.
Posted By: ClintP

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:14 AM

Santone are the best football jigs IMO... for grass jigs I like the oldham eye max... the Santone football head in 3/4 oz Bullfrog color has been the best for me lately in Deep ETx

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: LeonSulak
Does blk/blue match crawfish better than Green pumpkin? Just seems most prefer blk/blue

in cold water blk/blue works very well for me.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:23 AM

Green pumpkin or black/blue. Keep it simple. The jig has been good to me so far this year. Biggest fish have come from it to date.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:25 AM

Green pumpkin or black and blue

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: LeonSulak

All the crawfish I have seen and eaten have a lot of orange color to them. LOL I'm not sure if the bass think a jig is a crawfish or maybe a bream. I just know that black and blue has been my best most consistent color for almost 40 years now.
Posted By: sll

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 10:49 AM

Green Pumpkin is usually the first I try in most cases......white if a shad spawn is happening.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 12:18 PM

"Fouzman" by Santone Lures. Color 00. Also like JC's Spicy Craw and Pake's Perch.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:26 PM

I use a brown jig, when that stops working, I use a black jig, when that stops working, I use a brown jig...
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
I use a brown jig, when that stops working, I use a black jig, when that stops working, I use a brown jig...

Swindle is that you?
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
"Fouzman" by Santone Lures. Color 00. Also like JC's Spicy Craw and Pake's Perch.

That just about covers it! Only thing I could add is maybe a black/brown and amber and a variation of white while throwing a swim jig when they are feeding on shad.
80 % of the time I'm throwing Pake's Perch unless the water is muddy or off color. In muddy or off colored water the Fouzman gets the nod. Basically, in my opion presentation is far more important. I like to keep it very simple. Some variation of black and Blue, Black Brown and Amber, Green or White. Confidence plays a role and I'm very confident in the Fouzman, Pake's Perch for the waters here in Texas.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 04:38 PM

Whether fishing deep ledges, deep points, shallow brush, or anything in between, I still prefer either solid black, black/yellow, and black/orange - but in old bucktail jigs, not rubber or silicone. Combine one of those with a black pork Split-tail Eel or a 6" Black Widow eel, and hang on!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 04:41 PM

Statistically, black and blue colors in soft plastics and jigs catch more fish.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 05:24 PM

Finch nasty GP
Posted By: the catcher

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 05:55 PM

Siebert Jigs Green Pumpkin or Black Blue
Posted By: Bissett

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 06:30 PM

BROWN/ORANGE CRAW

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/20/18 09:04 PM

Im going to give the M-Pack PB&J 3/4 oz a try. Just picked one up from Basspro. It was the only color I found that had green pumpkin and black and blue (trying to cover all bases). Pairing it with a Rage tail Chunk Green pumpkin.

Mark, hope it puts my on my first one.
Posted By: moto382

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 01:45 AM

Dandy’s baits in Texas Knockout!! This time of year 3/4-1oz football jig rigged with craw trailer!! Deadly!!! But all Dandy’s jigs are awesome!!
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 02:01 AM

I treat jig colors almost the same as plastics... dirty water- darker colors, clear water- lighter colors. The clearer the water, the more I try to match the forage, in that lake, for that time of year, be it Perch or Crawdads, that I'm trying to look like. Grass lakes are different colors than limestone/rocky lakes.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Swindle is that you?

Haha yes sir, tried to find the video to post but couldn't
Posted By: 007.

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Swindle is that you?

Haha yes sir, tried to find the video to post but couldn't

Here is the video."Everybody say it together, BROWN AND GREEN!" grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiFMuQPfQJU
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 01:24 PM

I use a bitsy flip 1/4 oz jig, you can put any color trailer on it and it works on any lake in Texas year round.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 01:27 PM

PBJ
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 02:03 PM

Highly dependent on what the bass are feeding on, somewhat lake dependent (forage/water color/water clarity), and somewhat seasonal/water temp dependent

It'll be either
Black and blue--most versatile
Green Pumpkin/Brown bluegill/craw color
White/shad/crappie color
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Whitt Smith

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 04:22 PM

PB&J
Posted By: Taylored

Re: What is your go-to Jig color? - 06/21/18 07:41 PM

Green pumpkin or black and blue. Unless it’s a swim jig, then I’ll add in white and white/chartreuse.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum