Texas Fishing Forum

Lure Retriever

Posted By: Wormin

Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:42 AM

Anyone use a lure retriever? I got one of those that has a big weight that looks lie a fish with retractable rope and chain. Thinking about the telescopic golf ball retriever type. Any ideas?
Posted By: 9094

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:48 AM

2 or 3 oz weight with a snap wire tied to it. A friend showed me this and definitely the best lure knocker I have ever used. I also own one like the OP has plus two long extendable poles and the simple weight works better.
Posted By: dlwfish

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:49 AM

I keep a couple of the hound dogs you get for cheep from TW in the boat...

They seem to work pretty good and I haven’t lost a crankbait or a jig in a long time.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:53 AM

I have used the telescoping kind before and a plug knocker (mentioned above). The one sold at BPS (telescoping) was kind of weak, until I put heavier bigger nuts on the telescoping portion of it. It would flex and give a little bit w/o the heavier hardware on it. Works well for bushes and grass, not so well on rock, but it does work. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. I forgot about the Hound dog... It is a real good lure retriever, too.

Thad Rains
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:58 AM

I’ve got the $5 one shaped like a fish with wire around it from academy. Paid for itself 1000X. Attached it to a marker buoy in case I drop it.
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 03:13 AM

3oz pyramid weight, large snap swivel, old baitcaster I never use. Easy to operate, quick to retrieve and reel up, and easy to store.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: aggieangler03
I’ve got the $5 one shaped like a fish with wire around it from academy. Paid for itself 1000X. Attached it to a marker buoy in case I drop it.

i got the Academy one too. It has a tendency to twist around your fishing line and not drop. But about 70% of the time, I'm able to get it out.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 11:19 AM

I have the same knocker from BPS. I also have a telescoping one that I use that in all honesty is a PITA if your bait is any deeper than 5 feet. Plug knocker gets my bait out 90% of the time so the telescope stays in the garage.

I now just use my landing net if it’s 5 foot or less. Net will grab the hooks. Works fine.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 11:34 AM

I've got the fish one but as said, it twists around the line so bad it took me a long time to get my lure back. I now have the telescoping (from Amazon) and it works awesome. I've used it about a dozen times and every time I've been able to get my lure back quickly. I even saw a spinner bait up in a tree someone lost and was able to reach up and get me a new lure!
Posted By: Hittmanfish

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 12:32 PM

The first time I used the one that looks like a fish from Academy I lost the lure knocker too... bang
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Hittmanfish
The first time I used the one that looks like a fish from Academy I lost the lure knocker too... bang
lost mine on the second or third ATTEMPT. it never retrieved.

Maybe they should have shaped it like a dog. Or a sand bass.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 01:12 PM

I have had good luck with the fish shaped one up until last weekend. I could not retrieve two crank baits and a c-rig. First time it had not worked.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
I have the same knocker from BPS. I also have a telescoping one that I use that in all honesty is a PITA if your bait is any deeper than 5 feet. Plug knocker gets my bait out 90% of the time so the telescope stays in the garage.

This ^^
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 01:25 PM

I have the telescopic one, it extends to 18 feet, rarely have I lost a crankbait.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 01:33 PM

The fish retriever works well. Get an old reel, heavy braid and a sawed off rod to run it down there with and it will pay for itself 1000 times over.

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
The fish retriever works well. Get an old reel, heavy braid and a sawed off rod to run it down there with and it will pay for itself 1000 times over.

For the life of me I cannot envision how this is used. Help. Lol
Posted By: C130

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Grababrewski-and-Fish
Anyone use a lure retriever? I got one of those that has a big weight that looks lie a fish with retractable rope and chain. Thinking about the telescopic golf ball retriever type. Any ideas?

We use one of the telescopic ones I bought from Tackle Warehouse. Well worth the money, it has paid for itself many times. Works great.

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

i got the Academy one too. It has a tendency to twist around your fishing line and not drop. But about 70% of the time, I'm able to get it out.

I don't think i've had that happen once. Maybe try letting your string untwist on the knocker.

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:43 PM

He's saying use an old reel with a sawed off rod and tie the knocker to it. That way it is small and will still fit somewhere out of the way but you have the benefit of the reel so you can wind it in faster. I tried the same thing but found a marker buoy to be easier to store and I don't have to use it that often so the added speed of saving a few seconds on the reel wasnt worth it to me.

Another tip is splice or use a longer piece of string than what comes with them. I think it was 20' and I've saved a lot of C rigs and FB jigs hung in 30+ feet of water with mine.

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 02:45 PM

Discard that string that comes on the retriever. Find an old rod and reel. Put heavy braid on the reel and saw the rod off 12-18 inches above the reel. That way you can hook the retriever on the rod blank for storage. Thread the retriever on to the line and push the button on the reel to free spool the retriever down to the bait. Then you can use the old rod to bounce it off the bait until it comes loose and you reel it back in with the retriever reel. It works great.

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 04:08 PM

Discard that string that comes on the retriever. Find an old rod and reel. Put heavy braid on the reel and saw the rod off 12-18 inches above the reel. That way you can hook the retriever on the rod blank for storage. Thread the retriever on to the line and push the button on the reel to free spool the retriever down to the bait. Then you can use the old rod to bounce it off the bait until it comes loose and you reel it back in with the retriever reel. It works great.

Got ya. Brilliant. Sounds like it would improve my current stock knocker. Thx!
Posted By: Taylored

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 05:02 PM

This is what I use as well.

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 05:04 PM

Got ya. Brilliant. Sounds like it would improve my current stock knocker. Thx!

All credit to my partner Chris on this. cheers
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 06:34 PM

Sorry guys , I just break off , too many moving parts for me and need of extra hands , plus in rough water I would definitely lose some equipment or go for a swim .
Posted By: jcombsiv

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 06:50 PM

Long retractable dog leash and the dog shaped lure retriever from tackle warehouse. There is a video on wired2fish on this method.
Posted By: wild bill

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 06:57 PM

I bought a plug knocker from a guy in North Carolina It has saved me a bucket of money It slips over your line and it slides down the line to the lure. The key is that the ring is much larger than the store bought ones. I will go over the lip of most all the big crank baits I use. Paid about $25 for it but this plug knocker is the best I have ever used It works awesome on jigs or anything that I hang up

wild bill
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 07:18 PM

Obies lure retriever. I have tried several and this one is the best trust me.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/19/18 07:22 PM

This is another good reason to take your son fishing with you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum