Texas Fishing Forum

Water temp over 90.........opinions?

Posted By: reeltexan

Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 06:02 PM

Water temps where I fished Saturday started at 85 and went to 90 during the day.
There was a thermocline starting at about 10 ft. deep.

What is your opinion about how it effects the bite and location of the green fish?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 07:42 PM

If you don't have some thick grass nearby you better start looking deeper
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Water temps where I fished Saturday started at 85 and went to 90 during the day.
There was a thermocline starting at about 10 ft. deep.

What is your opinion about how it effects the bite and location of the green fish?

I think it has to do with currents, dissolved oxygen content, and other factors. I've heard that the fish stage up above the thermocline. I believe it's because of the low dissolved oxygen level below the thermocline. It makes sense, but I still have to think more about the science behind it...
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 09:17 PM

10' is really shallow for a thermocline this early in the summer for most lakes around here.
when surface temps are 90, go about 4-6' down and the temp drops significantly.
if the thermocline is really 10' then i would fish 4-10' OR in shade.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 09:23 PM

Since I can't control the water temps I just go fishing. I try to keep moving till I get some bites and try and put something together. I've caught them both super shallow and in deeper water.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 09:49 PM

I've caught countless fish and some BIG ones in 1-4' of water with surface temps in the 90's. But they all had something common that Ken A mentioned...grass and pads. There are fish in every depth of water year round, its just more of them tend to be in the optimal area for whatever it going on. Just do the standard stuff....if you have grass fish it and if you don't then look for bait. You find the bait you will find the fish. And lastly don't ever let surface temps dictate everything because like Ted said, it will be a lot different just a few feet down in the water.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 10:11 PM

I caught fish at Fayette last weekend in 108deg water at the outlet. What a hottub.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 11:46 PM

I have bait fish along the rocks of my retaining wall most of the day , crazy , temps are 87 degrees plus , all bass not always deep .
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/18/18 11:56 PM

My biggest fish (4-1/2lb) Sunday came from a foot of water along a bank...in the shade. At around 11:30. Water temp was around 89 degrees. On a buzz bait. My second biggest Sunday was almost 4 pounds. It came in 15 ft on a rock at the edge of the dam. At around 7am. Using a jig. Water temp then was 84.

Just go fishing .... don't overthink it.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Water temp over 90.........opinions? - 06/19/18 12:23 AM

10’ is a shallow thermocline. Fish 9.5’ and up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum