Texas Fishing Forum

Buzz Baits

Posted By: GTrigg

Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 01:06 AM

Looking for the best buzz bait that includes a "trailer keeper".
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 01:37 AM

I build a good one:
- Patterned off the old Hydrilla Gorilla made for Lake Amistad.
- Blade ticks the flat lead head for a sound Bass can't stand.
- Minnow Scented Living Rubber Old School Flat Rubber.
- Extended hook shank. You can still uses the trailer; but not necessary.

I also build the long arm off set shank for the better hook up, keeping the hook just under the surface. I have them in Black triple wing plastic blades and double wing Alum. blades.

Both have the trailer spur.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 02:17 AM

I'd forget the trailer and just throw a Cavitron. There's something about it that gets bit when other buzzbaits get ignored.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 02:46 AM

Cavitron
Posted By: Barn

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: GTrigg
Looking for the best buzz bait that includes a "trailer keeper".

What kind of trailer? War Eagle makes a good Buzz Toad buzzbait. It really holds a toad. It's doesn't have a skirt. I am sure it would hold other trailers too.

Hard to beat the Cavitron for a straight up buzzbait.

Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 02:07 PM

Damiki ... don't need a trailer hook.

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 02:16 PM

"trailer keeper" = A spur behind the skirt keeper, to hold rubber trailers.

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 03:36 PM

Google - Reaction Innovations Squeeky Dolphin. I believe that thing physically goes and grabs fish out of the water and puts them in your livewell for you.
Posted By: BrettsNetMan

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 03:40 PM

Where can I get one. Do u sell them?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BrettsNetMan
Where can I get one. Do u sell them?

There was one on Ebay but the bidding ended @ $70.00
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 03:50 PM

Lunker Lure
Cavitron
WarEagle
Booyah with a clacker

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 04:14 PM

Some guy was trying to sell 4 on the BBC a few weeks ago, maybe they are still avaialble - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=906744&highlight=dolphin

This one may still be available too - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=804859&highlight=dolphin

I cant really knock the idea of it, I have paid ridiculous prices for Wiggle Warts too, honestly I may end up owning a dolphin soon just to see if it is really worth the money like the pre-rap warts are.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/15/18 04:44 PM

Worst case scenario, get you some real small rubber bands like what girls use in their hair and half hitch behind the bait on the hook.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/16/18 12:18 AM

Hydrilla Gorilla
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/19/18 12:55 AM

If you're worried about a trailer keeper, cut a plastic milk bottle into 1/8 inch wide strips. Put on your trailer hook and poke the main hook through one of the strips and cut to size. You'll need a pliers or scissors to get it off.

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/19/18 01:12 AM

I believe the OP is worried about a trailer keeper to hold the soft plastic trailer on so it does not slide down. Thus a spur on the lead shank before the hook. A buzz bait worth it's salt does not need a trailer hook.
Posted By: sll

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/19/18 11:17 AM

I still prefer the old Billy Phillips Buzz Jewel's over new baits available today. Just a confidence thing I guess.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/19/18 09:15 PM

I realize this thread is about trailer keepers on a buzzbait, but why in the world would everyone NOT use a trailer hook on a buzzbait? I have been throwing a buzzbait for 40 some years, there is at least one on the deck from Feb. to early Dec. and they never get put in the rod box until the day is over. I would not ever, under any circumstances, let one get wet without a trailer hook. I don't care if it's $3 or $30 dollars or more valuable than a salt mining operation, it's going to have the stickiest, sharpest trailer hook on the planet hanging on it and catching more fish than it would without it.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Buzz Baits - 06/19/18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955
I realize this thread is about trailer keepers on a buzzbait, but why in the world would everyone NOT use a trailer hook on a buzzbait? I have been throwing a buzzbait for 40 some years, there is at least one on the deck from Feb. to early Dec. and they never get put in the rod box until the day is over. I would not ever, under any circumstances, let one get wet without a trailer hook. I don't care if it's $3 or $30 dollars or more valuable than a salt mining operation, it's going to have the stickiest, sharpest trailer hook on the planet hanging on it and catching more fish than it would without it.

Agreed. Doesn't hurt the action and puts more fish in the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum