Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Bastrop

Posted By: tm33

Lake Bastrop - 06/11/18 02:53 PM

Anyone tried Lake Bastrop lately?
I'm camping with the kids there midweek.
Never been on the lake.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Lake Bastrop - 06/11/18 03:53 PM

Lots of small fish, should be schooling now.

Re: Lake Bastrop - 06/11/18 05:47 PM

Lots of small fish is perfect for my kiddos.
Do they school heavily or just a few here and there?
Is there still a shallow bite when they start schooling?
I know at Fayette it seems like the shallow bite disappears when the schooling starts.
Posted By: WackySenko

Re: Lake Bastrop - 06/11/18 05:58 PM

Was there two weeks or so ago. Didn't see any schoolers. But I just went to throw frogs. Water was 86-88. They could have turned on since. I don't like to fool with them because I'm stubborn but beware the baitfish they're after are tiny. Little George's, small slabs, float and fly and the like. You can throw a topwater til your arm falls off and not catch one of em (alright maybe I tried catching them once or twice).

Re: Lake Bastrop - 06/11/18 09:02 PM

a little George will be perfect for my boys.
They are still zebco kids.
Maybe a beetle spin with split shot to help them cast.
Did you have any luck with the frog?

Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: WackySenko

Re: Lake Bastrop - 06/13/18 12:32 AM

Yeah picked up four or so and a couple extras on a sammy fishing my way back out towards the main lake. You can catch topwater fish just the schooling fish that are commonly chased on the main lake and over toward the outlet are on much smaller bait. Bastrop has some size if you fish it like it does (maybe when you're without the kids). Not giants but 5+

Re: Lake Bastrop - 06/13/18 05:22 AM

WackySenko, I appreciate the information. I will let you know how it goes.

Re: Lake Bastrop - 06/19/18 06:27 PM

I fished with my the family last Wednesday and Thursday. Found some hit or miss schoolies. They would absolutely choke a small pop-r.
I actually quit fishing it because they were taking it too deep to get it out without injuring it. Went to a small swimbait. It didn't work as well, but good enough to keep my boys interested. Also had some luck fishing the grass edges with a ned rig.
Didn't get a good count since the kids were with me. Probably 20-30 each day. It was dang hot, so didn't fish the middle of the day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum