Texas Fishing Forum

Hackney trimming a frog

Posted By: Bill Durham

Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 02:57 AM

Did any of you guys see Hackney trimming the "legs" of a frog so that it would walk the dog? He would cut single strands from each leg until the frog would walk back and forth.. I've never seen anybody do that before.

BD
Posted By: WackySenko

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 04:35 AM

Old trick cutting one leg shorter but I have not seen single strands cut. I'd assume anything that creates less drag on one side would make it walk. Wonder what the advantage is as to just having a peg leg. Obviously the profile remains more similar I guess that could matter. Pretty cool idea.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 04:20 PM

This frog walks really really well, you can basically flip it back and forth in the same spot darn near forever on slack 65 lb braid.... I just tried it for the first time the other day I havent got bit yet to see how the hook up is the body is a little more firm than I prefer but it may still be just fine.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Deps_Buster_K_Hollow_Body_Popping_Frog/descpage-DBK.html
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 05:14 PM

Cutting the legs works well, make sure you leave one at least 3/8 longer than the other and use a high speed reel and not a Revo winch. There is a big difference in 5.4 to 6.3 ratio yawn . peep
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 05:32 PM

Interesting - may have to give that a try on one of my frogs.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 05:39 PM

Was this a hollow body or plastic floater?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: retdbasser
Was this a hollow body or plastic floater?

Works on any hollow body but some work better than others. Spro spittin shad walks great right out of the box. I've heard strike king has a couple new ones being introduced this year also...
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 06:25 PM

This Sproh I bought last week "walks" great right outta the box.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 06:35 PM

That ain't a spro. It's a booyah
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

popcorn
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 06:49 PM

popcorn frkazoid
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 06:53 PM

You're probably right.....I lose track sometimes.

It works nicely.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222

It works nicely.

Definitely a booyah
Posted By: Matt Wilson

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/11/18 11:36 PM

he wasn't removing strands to help it walk he said he was trying to get it to "sit right" in the water
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/12/18 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt Wilson
he wasn't removing strands to help it walk he said he was trying to get it to "sit right" in the water

game changer
Posted By: Neches

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/12/18 02:18 AM

But he has a Spro sticker on his boat
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/12/18 02:48 AM

I shined a flash light all over that picture and it's still to dark to see a sticker. roflmao
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/12/18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
I shined a flash light all over that picture and it's still to dark to see a sticker. roflmao

Spro has distinct eyes.

Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/12/18 12:37 PM

Frogs are designed to walk. Don't have to trim the legs to do that. Just give it little short choppy jerks on slack line.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/12/18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222

It works nicely.

They do work good. And softer out of the package than a spro
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/12/18 10:56 PM

I hold the frog upside down and trim the legs to the nose of the frog. Most of them will walk just fine with short twitches. I use an 8-1 gear ratio Lews Super Duty reel.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
Frogs are designed to walk. Don't have to trim the legs to do that. Just give it little short choppy jerks on slack line.

Yes that is true but just like tuning a crankbait that doesn't run 100% right out of the package, sometimes a frog needs some help.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 01:18 PM

Any hard bait I buy first thing I do is take my wood rasp and mark it up. Make it look different , injuryed also on soft plastic take off a craw etc . Been doing that for years .
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 02:03 PM

Posted By: sll

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 03:15 PM

They will all walk a lot easier if you tie a loop knot and not cinch tie directly to the head.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: sll
They will all walk a lot easier if you tie a loop knot and not cinch tie directly to the head.

Im not gonna trust a loop knot when I hammer crack a 5lber in grass with 65lb braid a big rod.
Posted By: sll

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Originally Posted By: sll

Im not gonna trust a loop knot when I hammer crack a 5lber in grass with 65lb braid a big rod.
Don't bother me a bit and I use mono mostly. Faith in the right knot means a lot. The loop knot I use I have taught to many people over the last 2 decades. I have proven to them many times that you will not break the line below the knot.....if the line does break it will most always be 3-6 inches above it.

I don't take credit for coming up with it as Paul Elias showed me how to tie it in 1982 after his Classic victory. coolio

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 05:45 PM

I'm not the most experienced fisherman when it comes to frogs, but the frogs I have tend to hop when I twitch them and not walk side to side.. I think they are Spro frogs. I haven't tried trimming the legs different lengths, will try that. But Hackney was trimming individual legs off of the skirt.. which was a serious fine tune. I've never seen a frog walk back and forth like he was fishing it.

BD
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: InTheClear

The head shape on that one he is holding sure doesn't look like the "Hack Attack Select" like he said.

Posted By: buda13

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/13/18 07:42 PM

Most work good right out of the box no matter the brand... but those subtle tweeks to the bait can make all the difference in the world, especially on lakes where the fish see a ton of frogs with basically the same action.

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/14/18 02:20 AM

The frog on his buzz bait isn't what I was referring too.. it was a stand alone frog he was fishing. When the Bassmaster Live archive pops up, check it out.

BD

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/14/18 02:27 AM

He was throwing a sexy frog supposedly and the hack attack buzz frog. Looked more like a boogerman to me
Posted By: ScottSecs

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/14/18 11:34 AM

Strike King makes 2 different buzzbaits as a part of the Hack Attack line at Academy - the bait pictured sure looks like the skirted bait they sell - it has the same head as others mentioned as looks different than the model they sell that comes with the 3 toads. He just removed the skirt from that buzzer and added a toad...
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/14/18 12:31 PM

If you have to trim the legs on a frog to get it to walk, you aren’t working it right. Short pops of slack line should make any decent frog walk, legs trimmed or not.

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/14/18 07:54 PM

This is the frog I was referring to.. one side trimmed shorter, but also he removed individual strands on the long side to make it walk side to side.

Re: Hackney trimming a frog - 06/14/18 08:40 PM

As mentioned before, that's a kvd sexy frog
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum