Texas Fishing Forum

Best braid to flouro knot?

Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/10/18 10:20 PM

What is the best? I have been having endless knots break.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/10/18 11:03 PM

Uni to uni works for me. I flip with braid and a 20lb flouro leader. You still need to back off the
drag to keep from breaking line on hooksets.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/10/18 11:37 PM

Thinnest, strongest hands down FG knot.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/10/18 11:46 PM

I’ve had same problem. I backed off drag and that solved a bunch but not enough. Last week I did some very non scientific test in my backyard. I used 20lb braid and 15 mono and some dumbbells. From my experiment, the FG knot had a slightly higher break point but only when tied right. That was my weakness though. I only could tie a good one about 50%. The double uni and Alberto tied. I can tie at least 3 Alberto knots in the time of 1 double uni so for me Alberto wins. If I did 10 wraps up and 10 back, I could hang 14 lbs before any breaks and sometimes it was after several seconds and a few times the line would break first. IMO the Alberto is very fast and easy to tie a quality knot. I will add there was about a 2lb better break difference when increasing wraps from 6 or 7 up to 10 going and coming.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 12:47 AM

I like the Albright knot using 50-65 braid to 20-25 Flo. Works well for me. Hung up a jig in the rocks and pulled the heck out of it until the knot broke down at my jig. thumb
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 01:42 AM

Flouro sucks......go braid 100%
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Thinnest, strongest hands down FG knot.

^^^^^^^
yep....
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 02:11 AM

Easy & strong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDxGy3Nld2g
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 02:18 AM

Based on your username I would have thought this would be something you would have "mastered."

FG knot is the best but harder to tie on the water in waves/wind so I rig that one pre-tournament.

If I break off and need something fast on the water, Alberto.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 03:04 AM

Alberto for me.. I have been using 7 wraps but I will up to 10.. that is good info. I'm using 20lb braid and 12lb flouro now but have used the Alberto on bigger braid and leaders.

BD
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: stringwise
Based on your username I would have thought this would be something you would have "mastered."

FG knot is the best but harder to tie on the water in waves/wind so I rig that one pre-tournament.

If I break off and need something fast on the water, Alberto.

I fish 8lb flouro but wanting to try braid and flouro because people have been telling me that Im missing out lol
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill Durham
Alberto for me.. I have been using 7 wraps but I will up to 10.. that is good info. I'm using 20lb braid and 12lb flouro now but have used the Alberto on bigger braid and leaders.

BD

Ditto.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 05:00 AM

I use Alberto. Never had knot break. I use anywhere from 10lb braid to 30lb and 8lb to 12lb floro leader.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 10:26 AM

I did the FG knot but it is hard to tie on the water and you always seem to need one more hand for it. Nothing would make me angrier than sitting and fighting to tie it then after it was all over pull it tight and it slid apart because I did something wrong. I started using the Alberto knot and found that it is pretty easy to tie in rough water and wind and using it for about a year, it has never failed me yet.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 10:37 AM

Palomar with small Spro swivel.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 10:59 AM

The FG Knot is hard to beat. A few rods of mine have micro guides, and the Alberto, double uni, and blood knots all caught on the guides.

It took a long time, with lots of repetition to learn, but now it's as easy to tie, correctly, as any other knot.

For me, it was worth the effort.

I once used 40lb braid to 25lb co-poly, and every time I needed to break off, it always broke at the lure.

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
Originally Posted By: Bill Durham

BD

Ditto.

Yep. 7-up, 7-down. Lucky number of wraps. Works on my 20lb to 6lb like a good luck charm.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 01:10 PM

Alberto for me
Posted By: RBO

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 02:12 PM

8 wrap Alberto for me. Typically run 20# braid to 6' of 10# flouro for drop shot around brushpiles, and unfortunately, I hang up a bunch. When I have to break off, very seldom does it break at the connection. Usually it's at the palamor knot at the hook.

I tried the FG and found it's a pain to tie in the boat.
Posted By: 20lberorbust

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 03:24 PM

Alberto for me and NEVER had an issue with the braid to flouro knot. My flouro to hook on the other hand...
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: 20lberorbust
Alberto for me and NEVER had an issue with the braid to flouro knot. My flouro to hook on the other hand...

A subject for another thread maybe? FWIW, for my hook-to-leader I use the single Uni (also called Uni slip-knot) for almost everything except drop shot; then I use the Palomar
Posted By: 20lberorbust

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info, Jim!

I started tying the Kreh knot on my flouro to leader and have done MUCH better. I will look at the single Uni as well.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 05:44 PM

Double uni knot, but for a leader I use a copolymer line with an outer coating of fluorocarbon, not straight fluorocarbon.(P-line CX Premium)
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 06:09 PM

Albright has always worked fine for me. I straightened two hooks yesterday without it failing.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 11:30 PM

double uni know for me
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best braid to flouro knot? - 06/11/18 11:33 PM

The FG knot is the best but I use the Alberto because it is easy to tie and it has never failed me. I don't ever try and use a braid to leader with any rod that has micro guides. I don't see any need to.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum