Texas Fishing Forum

Line...again

Posted By: JavelinJ

Line...again - 05/29/18 09:13 PM

So, I had a post about re-tying your knots and how often you did it.

I was breaking off pretty regular. Using the same knots that I have been using for the last 25 years. Never had any trouble before.

But, I had just switched everything to flourocarbon. I always fished mono before. I just started to assume my knot wasn't that good with flouro.

Anyhow yesterday I had a couple more break offs. I started feeling my line every 3-4 cast and was noticing it to be frayed/rough about 3" above the knot for about a 6" length. Then, i broke off again. This time the lure floated up and confirmed it is not my knot.

It broke off about 4" above the knot. I had to start cutting out a section of line every 10 cast or so.

I thought I had Seaguar on this reel but I now remember it being Berkley Vanish Flouro in 17lb.

Does that line stink that much or what?? All the eyes on the rod are in good shape.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 09:16 PM

Vanish is excellent line. Come fish a few of our tournaments we need your money.
Actually it sucks for bass fishing. It has zero abrasion resistance. But I understand the ice fishermen up north love it.

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 09:24 PM

So what line is good other than Seaguar?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 09:29 PM

I have avoided the break off problems for the past 18 years by using McCoys Mean Green copolymer. GREAT line and really strong for what it is. It actually has a smaller line diameter than like weighted monos. Sorry about yoru break offs. I had break offs when I tried Pline CXX2, so I took it off and replaced it with McCoys Mean Green. It is VERY low in memory, very strong and has a lot of stretch. I use it for everything except C-rigs, then I use it for my leader material. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Barn

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: txfour
So, I had a post about re-tying your knots and how often you did it.

I was breaking off pretty regular. Using the same knots that I have been using for the last 25 years. Never had any trouble before...

I thought I had Seaguar on this reel but I now remember it being Berkley Vanish Flouro in 17lb.

Does that line stink that much or what??

Probably worst fishing line ever made. I can't believe they still peddle that junk.
Posted By: kent52

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 09:52 PM

There is a good chance that its not your line or your knot if your finding abrasion on the line where the sinker is rubbing. If you are using tungsten it very well could be the weight. Next time you go fishing when you notice the abrasion on the line switch to a lead sinker and see if it does the same thing. If not then you know its the tungsten weight. You can go to youtube and watch how to put inserts into the tungsten weights and that will take care of that. Some of the tungsten is rough or sharp or when they paint them with the power paint, some will get in the hole and wear on the line.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 09:58 PM

Are you fishing a lake with Zebra mussels? 17 pound line shouldn't break or even fray that easy no matter who makes it. I've never had issues with Seaguar flouro unless it was on a lake with Zebra mussels.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 10:10 PM

I'm liking McCoy co polymer.

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MagFluker
Are you fishing a lake with Zebra mussels?

Yes

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 10:45 PM

Yes

The line isn't the problem.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 10:58 PM

Check the tip for cracks. Sounds like every cast you make it's rubbing on a chip or crack and eventually breaks it.

And take that vanish and throw it all away. Can't go wrong with seagur invisx or even red label.

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 11:00 PM

Yes

So no line is going to work?
Posted By: leebayou

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 11:07 PM

I tried Vanish for one trip. Into the garbage when I returned home. I would not even give it to a friend who wanted it--as its performance was as you described. I have had no problems with any of Seaquars line of products.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 11:11 PM

Yes

yes it is.....he said "Vanish". That's all that is needed to know. Nothing makes a hooked bass or tied lure vanish faster than Vanish. The line is the worst [censored] ever sold.

To the OP....If you don't like paying premium prices, buy Seaguar Red Label. It is prone to memory, but it's strong and doesn't break unless you cause it to break.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 11:40 PM

Seagaur Invizix

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 11:42 PM

It's your rod tip eyelet. Probably has a chip in it. Run a qtip through it to see if it catches
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Line...again - 05/29/18 11:57 PM

I'd rather use Spiderwire or Vicious fluorocarbon than Berkley Vanish. Seaguar or Sunline is the way to go.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 12:01 AM

Check the tip of the rod or the weights you are using. The line is fine most likely.

Line doesn’t break around the area of the tip when you cast for no reason.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 03:59 AM

Stop being cheap and get sunline or Tatsu
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
It's your rod tip eyelet. Probably has a chip in it. Run a qtip through it to see if it catches

This ......

You know for everyone of you guys that says the Berkley Vanish is trash ,,,,,, there is someone that thinks it is good. I have been fishing the Berkley Vanish Transoptic for the past 3 years and have not had any issues whatsoever. Great feel, no break-offs and cast extremely good.
The cost of the line has nothing to do with whether or not it is what I use .......
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 11:34 AM

....just use what YOU like......
breakoffs have to do with frays and nicks plus poor knots.....
even the best line will get nicked up --- check it often
Maybe the biggest culprit is age and sunlight/heat. Line will weaken due to heat
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 11:40 AM

Berkley Vanish has a bad reputation. Other brands listed about are good but I use Berkley 100% flouro with good results on 8 and 10 pound line.
You have to keep checking your line and retying whenever you feel rough spots. Thats with any line when the line gets damaged.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
....just use what YOU like......
breakoffs have to do with frays and nicks plus poor knots.....
even the best line will get nicked up --- check it often
Maybe the biggest culprit is age and sunlight/heat. Line will weaken due to heat

Haven't had issues with unusual break offs; but, I think I'm going to start storing my fishing line in the house instead of in the garage.

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Yes

yes it is.....he said "Vanish". That's all that is needed to know. Nothing makes a hooked bass or tied lure vanish faster than Vanish. The line is the worst [censored] ever sold.

To the OP....If you don't like paying premium prices, buy Seaguar Red Label. It is prone to memory, but it's strong and doesn't break unless you cause it to break.

I meant the Zebra Mussels are the problem, I've never used vanish, but he mentioned Seaguar, and Seaguar isn't the problem.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 03:47 PM

For those saying it is his rod tip, do you reel your line in to the eyelet that often? He said it is fraying and breaking 4-6" from the lure, I almost never reel my bait in that close to the tip. The closest my bait might get to my rod tip is 12" so my rod tip would never rub the 4-6" area above my lure.

This seems like a Vanish problem, I used Tatsu or Invisix until recently and loved them (tatsu for dragging because the line is rubbing against everything, Invisx for moving baits). I did use P-Line 100% flouro for years as well and had no issues with it, cant even really say now why I switched to Seaguar but it must have been on sale at some point and no I have 6 bulk spools of different weights.

I actually have a spool of P-Line 100% Flouro 17# on my desk that should have a reels worth on it, PM me your address and I will send it to you to try out.

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 04:17 PM

Hey, I appreciate it Shallow Waters.

I do not think it is the rod tip. Just put a brand new one on last Saturday.

The line would feel fine after re-tying. However, after on a handful of cast, it would be really rough and frayed 4-6" above the know.

Now, I was chunking a 14' diver in 8' of water with rocks, some brush and zebra muscles...so may that was it.

But this is the only rod with Vanish on it and the only one causing problems so I am going to say it is that.

Going to try some Seaguar Abasix or whatever it is.

I had a pro fisherman buddy that told me this morning that he runs nothing but Mono on divers. Anyone else?
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 06:19 PM

I run Flouro on divers because of the extra depth (however minimal) and the slightly less stretch because I use a real soft tipped rod for divers. I dont think I currently have mono on any reels for any application. I used to try to keep one for top waters but I just switched that braid anyways because it can be used for more applications and I dont fish top water that often anyways.

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 06:21 PM

Buy some 12lb big game and try that. It's good line for the price
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 06:24 PM

There are some remaining zebra mussels in Bridgeport and you will get in an area occasionally that has a few. You just gotta deal with it. They are not as widespread as they were. Personally I think they helped the fishing on the lake.

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
There are some remaining zebra mussels in Bridgeport and you will get in an area occasionally that has a few. You just gotta deal with it. They are not as widespread as they were. Personally I think they helped the fishing on the lake.

I was talking with Keith the other day and he said there was a big shad/zebra mussel kill a week or so ago.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Line...again - 05/30/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
Seagaur Invizix

Yes plus a thousand. Hands down my go to line.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Line...again - 05/31/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I was talking with Keith the other day and he said there was a big shad/zebra mussel kill a week or so ago.

Keith is good people. If he tells you anything about that lake you can take it as the gospel. When I lived out there and fished it 3-4 days a weel almost year round it was rare that I did not see him out there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum