Texas Fishing Forum

My Line Screams!!!!

Posted By: JavelinJ

My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 01:17 PM

So, running 17lb Seaguar line. I playing around with an XD8 yesterday and as I crank it in I can hear my line making a real high pitched sound. That sound has to transfer through the water I would think.

Is there another line that wont do this or is that just the nature of the beast with heavy line and deep divers?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 01:59 PM

Shouldn't be using more than 12# on deep divers.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 02:04 PM

Are you fishing out of an aluminum boat by chance?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 02:11 PM

Sunline crank 14lb for an 8xd for me. No problems. What rod you using?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 02:17 PM

Yep, change line. Something is not right; like it may not be totally round for some reason. Do not drop below that 17#. You will break off another big fish on those short strikes at the boat. Big fish are too hard to come by without taking that chance. Even at that size line it can happen; so retie often. Never had any trouble getting the Crank down to 15+ with heaver Flor. line. No problem with XPS Floro. singing a tune. roflmao

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Sunline crank 14lb for an 8xd for me. No problems. What rod you using?

Kinda a cheapo Abu Vendetta rod combo I bought from Wally World a few years ago. It's the only rod I have heavy enough not to double over while dragging that XD8.

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 02:53 PM

My guess is you have a guide, probably the tip, with a tiny crack in it causing the line to sing (and fray) as you reel it back with resistance against it. You wouldn't notice it if you were worming due to not as much resistance against the guides as when reeling in a big crank.
Posted By: Sooner Claus

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
My guess is you have a guide, probably the tip, with a tiny crack in it causing the line to sing (and fray) as you reel it back with resistance against it. You wouldn't notice it if you were worming due to not as much resistance against the guides as when reeling in a big crank.

Yep, stick a Q-Tip in your guides and see if any of them snag it.

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/27/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Yup, it was the tip eyelet.

I was wondering why this high dollar SeaGuar was breaking off so easy. I was blaming my knots. I'm betting it was the eyelet fraying the line.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/28/18 12:17 AM

Guarantee that was the problem. Easy fix and you should be good to go.
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/28/18 01:45 AM

I'm intrigued to hear about screaming line and aluminum boats...
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/28/18 02:09 AM

All my nrx rods make the noise realing in big fish
Posted By: stringwise

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/28/18 02:28 AM

Sounds like a guide issue. However, I fish my deep cranks on braid and the fish don't care, even in clear water. The majority of my 6 and 7 lb tournament fish this year were on a 10 or 8xd running straight braid and no leader. Many caught on clear highland reservoirs.

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/29/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitdad
I'm intrigued to hear about screaming line and aluminum boats...

Alum boats magnify any sound from the bait or line in the water. Crank a lipless rattler back to an Alum boat and you'll see what I'm talkin about.
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/31/18 01:44 AM

Thanks - I learn something everyday on this site.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: My Line Screams!!!! - 05/31/18 02:49 AM

Turn the rod around and reel reverse with your left hand.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum