Texas Fishing Forum

Bass behavior today versus a month ago

Posted By: ChristopherWayne

Bass behavior today versus a month ago - 05/27/18 07:28 AM

It was a hot one today in Gonzales County.

A month ago one pound bass were the only bass biting. (Farm tank).

Today at 4pm you could see bass eating along the bank and literally see the prey fish being beached.

Throwing a spinnerbait along the bank and caught several bass in the 2.5 pound range.
3 times while reeling one in you would see another bass roughly the same size trying to get the lure.

Switched over to a 7.5" AC plug and the bass started hitting it as well.

Given that the spawning season is mainly over, are the bass now in a more aggressive feeding mode?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Bass behavior today versus a month ago - 05/27/18 12:45 PM

Glad to hear your tank has enough bait for the Bass to Wolf Pack and drive them up on the shoreline. Most tanks do not; therefore you do not see this action often in tanks. I have not had much luck getting bit when they are chasing. Bass seem to be zeroed in on the species and not the artificial baits. Sounds like they ARE in an aggressive feeding mode and you have them cornered. Have you thrown the Chatter Bait parallel to the shoreline and can you get off shore a little to work it parallel?
Posted By: ChristopherWayne

Re: Bass behavior today versus a month ago - 05/28/18 03:18 AM

The tank has plenty of bluegill, tilapia, and some channel catfish.

I have not thrown a chatter bait yet as I have one still in the wrapper.

From what i could tell this morning, the bass are hitting 2 inch long bluegill and tilapia.
Not exactly sure if its both or one of the other.

I am curious if this is post spawn behavior for bass.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Bass behavior today versus a month ago - 05/28/18 04:16 AM

I don't believe it is Post Spawn behavior. I believe the Blue Gill or Tilapia are up there eating Bass fry and getting hammered. Also maybe the Blue Gill are bedding now in that area and the Bass are moving in there on them.

Make sure the Chatter Bait has a Blue Gill colored skirt on it and see what the Bass thank.
Skirt Color:
- Basic Pumpkin Seed with Purple Flake
- Very few strands of Orange, Chartreuse and Hologram.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum