Texas Fishing Forum

The dead fish post

Posted By: The Searchers

The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:15 AM

Most probably won’t answer honestly or even consider this as the same but I have a thought about the guy that was roasted on the meat bass post.
I am pretty sure all of us that tourney fish or fish for fun shake our heads when we see what he saw. I will say I do for sure. Do you go confront someone? Maybe not, I get the mind your own business part. But what if you just asked, “hey bud, instead of eating that 10lber would you consider letting her go and letting me bring you 5 better tasting 2lbers? The part of him maybe needing that fish to feed a family is BS and you all know that. He11 you can buy a 5 lb bag of ready to grill tilapia from Walmart for $11.00 and they most likely had that much in gas to get to the lake.

Point is this. If I kill a deer legally and cut his antlers off with a sawzall and throw the rest of the sob in the bar ditch would you big trophy deer hunters have a problem?
I would be within my legal rights no?
Just curious
The answer he got was “they were not doing anything illegal so it was none of anyone’s business
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:19 AM

"Point is this. If I kill a deer legally and cut his antlers off with a sawzall and throw the rest of the sob in the bar ditch would you big trophy deer hunters have a problem?
I would be within my legal rights no?"

No sir, you would not. Waste of game is an offense and will get you a ticket and no, I am not a big trophy deer hunter.

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:23 AM

That I was not aware of. What do they consider waste? I honestly don’t know.

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:26 AM

If it is illegal to waste game, as it should be, then there is no comparison
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:36 AM

This post would be considered waste. flush
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: The Searchers
That I was not aware of. What do they consider waste? I honestly don’t know.

Waste of Game
It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit. It is an offense if a person intentionally takes or possesses a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. It is a Class A misdemeanor to fail to retrieve or to keep in an edible condition a whitetail or mule deer, pronghorn antelope, or desert bighorn sheep hunted without landowner consent; from a vehicle, boat, or aircraft (including unmanned aerial vehicles); on a public road; at night; or with the aid of a light.

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:44 AM

Thank you chu chu. Hate to see a deer or fish wasted never knew it was a law. Wonder how they get away with stuffing bears or other game without eating the meat?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:53 AM

I catch and release all my trophy deer.
Posted By: GROD

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 12:55 AM

It’s against the law to throw a dead fish back in a public body of water. Suppose to dispose
of fish elsewhere.
Posted By: mhall1986

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: GROD
It’s against the law to throw a dead fish back in a public body of water. Suppose to dispose
of fish elsewhere.

What happens when that fish is not a legal sized fish to keep? Isn't it illegal to possess a fish that is not the proper length?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 02:31 AM

Thank you chu chu. Hate to see a deer or fish wasted never knew it was a law. Wonder how they get away with stuffing bears or other game without eating the meat?

They do take the meat. It's illegal not to.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 02:46 AM

Bear makes a fine meal
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 02:48 AM

A better analogy would be if a guy killed a 170 inch deer legally on public land. Then he stopped and gave deer, horns and all to a group of rednecks in the wal mart parking lot that don't even hunt deer. If you spent your whole life hunting a 170 inch deer, wouldn't that chap your behind a little bit.
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 04:45 AM

Y’all ditch pickle fishermen are a temperamental bunch. Getting your feelings hurt for the fact that it wasn’t you who caught the fish. I’ve seen it with the speckle trout elite as well.
If you legally catch the fish then you get to do what you want with it.
I was at Lewisville on a tournament day and I seen two guys loose their $#!+ cause they cut each other off. One of them made a huge wake hit my boat also. Start cussing each other out.
I’ll tell you this much I’ve fished Party boats shoulder to shoulder and outfished the guy next to me and I’ve fished with my dad and have him limit out and get skunked myself.
Any way long story short mind your business and report poaching. 800-792 GAME(4263)
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 05:06 AM

Most probably won’t answer honestly or even consider this as the same but I have a thought about the guy that was roasted on the meat bass post.
I am pretty sure all of us that tourney fish or fish for fun shake our heads when we see what he saw. I will say I do for sure. Do you go confront someone? Maybe not, I get the mind your own business part. But what if you just asked, “hey bud, instead of eating that 10lber would you consider letting her go and letting me bring you 5 better tasting 2lbers? The part of him maybe needing that fish to feed a family is BS and you all know that. He11 you can buy a 5 lb bag of ready to grill tilapia from Walmart for $11.00 and they most likely had that much in gas to get to the lake.

Point is this. If I kill a deer legally and cut his antlers off with a sawzall and throw the rest of the sob in the bar ditch would you big trophy deer hunters have a problem?
I would be within my legal rights no?
Just curious
The answer he got was “they were not doing anything illegal so it was none of anyone’s business

Taking the antlers and dumping the rest is illegal every place as far as I know. Its a judgment call if you take the quarters and leave the rest even etc.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: The dead fish post - 05/25/18 01:44 PM

First I would like to say that I highly doubt the fish given to the "ruff looking group" in the pontoon boat was a legit DD. My guess is it was another 7-8 pounder that the guy "weighed" in his boat and called it a DD.

I would have released the fish but that is personal preference. However, giving the fish to someone after he catches it is his business and his alone. That's my 2 cents worth.

Here is the law in Texas

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...ies-restitution
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum