Texas Fishing Forum

Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake?

Posted By: ChristopherWayne

Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/23/18 11:57 PM

When fishing a muddy bottom lake will the slow stitching worm technique work on a muddy bottom?

Or a would drop shot technique work better?

I am trying to cast over a creek bottom and bring the lure back across into the shallows.

Regards,
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 12:09 AM

If the water is stained; I am going to be putting the thump to them with a single spin deep cup Colo. blade spinner bait.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 12:10 AM

Drop shot
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: ChristopherWayne
When fishing a muddy bottom lake will the slow stitching worm technique work on a muddy bottom?

Or a would drop shot technique work better?

I am trying to cast over a creek bottom and bring the lure back across into the shallows.

Regards,

Being a ex - west coaster, stitching is more of a light line clear water presentation normally with a split shot, light wire hook and deep water

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 12:50 AM

If you use a drop shot, how far do you have the weight from the hook?

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 01:11 AM

With regards to the dropshot technique, has anyone tried it with 10 to 12 inch worms?

If you to use this method on large worms could you use a 3 way swivel?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 02:44 AM

A drop shot is good for silted in lakes and lakes with short grass. It keeps the bait from being in the mud and lost in the grass. I've had times where the only difference in fish and no fish was having the bait 5-10" OFF the bottom. The fish just wouldn't suck in the bait with a gob of mud with it.

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: ChristopherWayne
With regards to the dropshot technique, has anyone tried it with 10 to 12 inch worms?

If you to use this method on large worms could you use a 3 way swivel?

Some call that power shotting... large worms or creature baits with large weights and heavy line. I used to do a lot of that at Falcon
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 03:35 AM

I’ve never heard of stitching and now I’m dying to know what it is but I can’t seem to find no good videos on it
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Lil joe
I’ve never heard of stitching and now I’m dying to know what it is but I can’t seem to find no good videos on it

You and me both. Didn’t look for videos, but found an explanation: videos of the technique would be extremely boring! Looks like it is weightless tx rig with BIG worms and working it like a fly rod with your reel hand.

http://www.mikelongoutdoors.com/stitching-big-worms-for-big-bass/

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Originally Posted By: Lil joe

You and me both. Didn’t look for videos, but found an explanation: videos of the technique would be extremely boring! Looks like it is weightless tx rig with BIG worms and working it like a fly rod with your reel hand.

http://www.mikelongoutdoors.com/stitching-big-worms-for-big-bass/

A lot of guys on the west coast, use it with live crawfish and finesse fishing (reapers and small worms), it is very very boring like watching paint dry.

Re: Stitching worm technique for muddy bottom lake? - 05/24/18 10:34 PM

I really appreciate the responses to the post.

The reason I am curious about stitching as well as drop shot is that I am trying to just focus on the biggest bass in a specific body of water.

I do have a copy of Bill Murphy’s “In Pusuit of Giant Bass” which I bought roughly 20 years ago.
Recently I got back into fishing pulled out the book.
The body of water I am fishing has areas in the 15 to 26ft foot range particularly where creek meets the main body of water as the tank was built on a creek.

I have never taken the time or had the patience to fish for bass in deeper water however but is a trait/habit I will try to acquire.

Still not sure if you can drop shot a 12 inch worm.
Anyone ever try that?

Regards,

While I realize that stitching technique is avery slow method
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum