Texas Fishing Forum

grass on Bob Sandlin...

Posted By: coachmatt

grass on Bob Sandlin... - 05/23/18 08:23 PM

I have heard there is not very much grass this year. Have a heard correct? I really hope not.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 05/23/18 08:54 PM

I think the floods killed it all, lot of grass at Fork though...
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 05/23/18 09:34 PM

Went Sunday, found a ton of it.
Posted By: DJB

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 05/24/18 12:35 AM

And people are giving away 10lbers to eat.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 05/24/18 02:58 AM

Bunch of grass back in the coves. It's coming back!
Posted By: coachmatt

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 05/24/18 02:00 PM

does grass grow deep out there or just up shallow? I've heard it grows out deeper on humps, but i have never found any?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 05/24/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: coachmatt
does grass grow deep out there or just up shallow? I've heard it grows out deeper on humps, but i have never found any?

I have seen it out to 10 foot of water, but only in a handful of areas...
...then again, I didn’t drive around specifically looking for it.
Posted By: 2Pacalypse

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 06/29/18 07:34 PM

Where it at?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 06/29/18 07:57 PM

In the water RAMPHARMD, in the water. LOL. Probably on the points that it normally grows on. Good luck finding it. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 06/30/18 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: RAMPHARMD
Where it at?

Do you want waypoints or just general areas?

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 06/30/18 03:18 PM

General areas smile
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 06/30/18 03:23 PM

Mark found a ton ( that's 2000 lbs. ) Sunday, maybe he would share with his fellow TFF'ers. Maybe, maybe not.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 06/30/18 04:24 PM

Monticello Cove
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 06/30/18 09:46 PM

I haven’t been on Bob Sandlin in many years but if I were going to hit the water and start looking the first places I would look would be the shorelines that the south wind blew into

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/01/18 02:56 AM

The thickest/deepest stuff I usually find is on the south side of the 1520 bridge near Barefoot Bay. On the north side, the area behind the Monticello Bypass Canal dyke. Not been there in several months, though.

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/06/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
Monticello Cove

Confirmed.
Posted By: Smash-Tech Custom Baits

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/06/18 11:03 PM

I guess I have a different meaning of tons of grass. I haven’t seen any good grass beds on the main lake. I haven’t looked in the backs of creeks much though. And when I say grass I’m referring to Hydrilla, and I sure haven’t seen tons of it. The lake is kicking out giant stringers out deep right now though. Took 30 lbs Saturday to win and 22 on a 3 fish Tuesday night tournament this week. There’s been 4-5 stringers over 27 this summer in tournaments.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/06/18 11:16 PM

I guess it's allrelative....I have only been on Sandlin twice my entire life so I have no baseline to judge the grass. My bad. I know in May when I launched at same park you launch at for Monticello that entire cove/creek is one giant grass bed as were some of the creeks/coves in that area. Acres Anderson acres of all types of grass with mats etc.
Really struggled in the grass to get bit it h.g e than some small fish on frogs. Went to docks in same area and caught a lot of fish. No huge ones but some 2-4lbers that were fun. Have not been back but had a great time and to me saw a lot of grass. Some of the guys on this post know a ton more about it than I do and it may not be a lot of grass to them. For me it seemed like a lot though.
Posted By: Smash-Tech Custom Baits

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/07/18 12:00 AM

You’re right Mark, shoreline grass has been abundant, but good Hydrilla like back in the day isn’t. I guess that’s what came to mind when I hear lots of grass. Used to be Hydrilla everywhere. Mostly what I’ve seen the last few years is just alligator weed, coontail, etc.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/07/18 03:28 AM

That coontail is up in Monticello and state park coves. 90 degree water doesn’t really equate to good fish being in it, though.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/09/18 01:19 PM

Is it true that there are gates open between Monticello and Sandin now? Can a boat pass thru them or just fish?

When I was there I was catching yellow bass or some stupid yellow garbage fish in Monticello which I was told came thru the gate?

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/09/18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa
Is it true that there are gates open between Monticello and Sandin now? Can a boat pass thru them or just fish?

When I was there I was catching yellow bass or some stupid yellow garbage fish in Monticello which I was told came thru the gate?

The gates on the dam are below the surface of the water. Yes they are open, no a boat can’t get between lakes through them but fish at 10-20 FOW can freely swim...
Posted By: Gilly62

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/09/18 03:46 PM

I found some deeper in Monticello cove like mentioned above. A few years ago, there were a decent amount of shallow grass and lily pads. What happened to it all? The pads I'm talking about were in the cypress dam cove and just on the other side of 21 bridge from the state park. Anyone know? Maybe with the home development on the lake, they have begun to spray the vegetation? Only a guess. And no, you cannot boat from BS to Monti like mentioned above.

Re: grass on Bob Sandlin... - 07/09/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Gilly62
I found some deeper in Monticello cove like mentioned above. A few years ago, there were a decent amount of shallow grass and lily pads. What happened to it all? The pads I'm talking about were in the cypress dam cove and just on the other side of 21 bridge from the state park. Anyone know? Maybe with the home development on the lake, they have begun to spray the vegetation? Only a guess. And no, you cannot boat from BS to Monti like mentioned above.

Down there they would be subject to the flood waters from CS and a ton of current when the lakes were high. Probably flushed some out, betting it will be back, but I’ve never travelled down there on the lake to see if maybe it got silted in some, too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum