Texas Fishing Forum

tungsten with insterts

Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 11:58 AM

Anyone know of a good place to get tungsten with inserts?

Also maybe a source for some insert tubing to put into some I have? I tried the heat shrink method and it wont go thru for me.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 12:48 PM

Just curious, why do you need tungsten with inserts? Lots of good weights on the market now with polished edges that don't need inserts.

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Just curious, why do you need tungsten with inserts? Lots of good weights on the market now with polished edges that don't need inserts.

Because that is bs and they break your line if your using 3/8 or heavier unless its pegged.

65 lb maxquatro and tatsu 15-20 have all broke and been worn with polished inside tungsten
Posted By: Taylored

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

This pretty much sums it up.
Posted By: Taylored

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 01:04 PM

I have a ton of tungsten with no inserts and throw up to 1 ounce and have never had it cut my line.
Posted By: wyatt c

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 01:18 PM

ive had it happen once. I pretty much punch grass with 3/4 to 1.5 oz weights all summer long and fish a t rig flipping brush the rest of the year. theres no need for inserts juggle
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 01:21 PM

Buy tungsten from RiverAtackle and you won't need inserts anymore....
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 01:24 PM

Inserts are unnecessary but Tacklewarehouse has several options if you want them.
Posted By: Barn

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 01:24 PM

Plenty on Tackle Warehouse. Not a fan of inserts. I have had way more of them cause line breaks than without.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bullet_Weights_Tungsten_Bullet_Weights/descpage-BWTBW.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Reins_TG_Tungsten_Heavy_Weight_Slip_Sinker/descpage-RTGSS.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/TD_Tungsten_Colored_Insert_Bullet_Weights/descpage-TDTCIBL.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/TD_Tungsten_Colored_Insert_Flippin_Weights_/descpage-TDTCLFL.html

fish
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 02:20 PM

hmmm
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 02:48 PM

One or maybe two bobber stops ahead of the weight will keep it from sliding. Then the weight won't tend to fray the line as much.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 02:50 PM

You're using the wrong tungsten if you need inserts
Posted By: june-bug

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 03:03 PM

Inserts??? You don't need no stinking inserts!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
You're using the wrong tungsten if you need inserts

+1

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 05:34 PM

Ill try some different ones but Ive got them from several sources with the same results.

I bought some picaso with inserts but Im guessing theyll lose sensitivity.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 05:55 PM

Tie a snell knot. Then the only thing getting beat up by the weight is the hook eye. ....and it adds a bit of noise(the good kind).
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/21/18 11:27 PM

I threw away all my Tungsten weights with inserts about 8 years ago. They WILL fray your line and cause you lots of heartache!
I guarantee you your line is breaking for some other reason than the tungsten weight.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/22/18 12:19 AM

Check the Aaron Martin YouTube tip with the shrink tubing. Heat and stretch. Works pretty good. I won't use tungsten without inserts. AND I HAVE TRIED many different brands and on different lines. (The Strike King are the Worst!) I have found a few that are not too bad but you have to check your line frequently. I just get tired of hearing how Wonderful and Polished all these CHEAP ones are and how much better they are, but it's not always true. I guess there are probably a couple Hundred OTHER Brands that I haven't tried yet though!
(How can RUBBER Shrink Tubing fray your line????noidea noidea Factory Plastic Inserts maybe will.) Works for me. The old Tru Tungsten was pretty good, but most are cheap made now so that the customers buy them. BUT you often get what you pay for!

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/22/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Check the Aaron Martin YouTube tip with the shrink tubing. Heat and stretch. Works pretty good. I won't use tungsten without inserts. AND I HAVE TRIED many different brands and on different lines. (The Strike King are the Worst!) I have found a few that are not too bad but you have to check your line frequently. I just get tired of hearing how Wonderful and Polished all these CHEAP ones are and how much better they are, but it's not always true. I guess there are probably a couple Hundred OTHER Brands that I haven't tried yet though!
(How can RUBBER Shrink Tubing fray your line????noidea noidea Factory Plastic Inserts maybe will.) Works for me. The old Tru Tungsten was pretty good, but most are cheap made now so that the customers buy them. BUT you often get what you pay for!

I tried the shrink wrap thing it wont go thru my tungsten.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/26/18 02:01 AM

Did you heat it and stretch it? Some tungsten and the smaller ones you have to have the smaller size shrink tubing, but even then some of the smaller than 1/4 oz it still might not fit. Bummer!
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/26/18 03:28 AM

You may have a problem with your knots or you are trying to make your line last too long. Modern tungsten really won't fray your line.
Posted By: MikeW62

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/26/18 08:46 AM

Check out wicked weights. 97% tungsten 3% nickel diamond bored without all the pretentious filler metals that a lot of tungsten companies use. Never given me a problem on any of my set ups
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/26/18 12:38 PM

I like the 98% tungsten
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/26/18 01:16 PM

In 20 years or so of using tungsten i guess i have been epically lucky. I gave never had any issues with or without inserts. I jusy buy weights when I need them. I have not seen one model be better than the other for my fishing.

I now usually buy from same couple of places out of convenience more than anything else.

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/28/18 03:26 AM

Did you heat it and stretch it? Some tungsten and the smaller ones you have to have the smaller size shrink tubing, but even then some of the smaller than 1/4 oz it still might not fit. Bummer!

yes heat with a torch and stretch
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/28/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
In 20 years or so of using tungsten i guess i have been epically lucky. I gave never had any issues with or without inserts. I jusy buy weights when I need them. I have not seen one model be better than the other for my fishing.

I now usually buy from same couple of places out of convenience more than anything else.

That’s been my experience as well.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/29/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

yes heat with a torch and stretch

What size weight are you using that doesn't take heat shrink? I've used this on a ton of different weights and never had any issues. Step down in in size if it won't stretch and pull through. Or stretch it more and use a small steel rod to widen it back out.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/29/18 02:47 PM

Swagger tackle and you are done.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: tungsten with insterts - 05/29/18 02:59 PM

No inserts , check your line more often , One of the things I do all the time is check and re-check my line .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum