Texas Fishing Forum

Non-Resident Fishing License Question

Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Non-Resident Fishing License Question - 05/16/18 09:58 PM

Would like to hear from fishermen regarding the state laws regarding non-resident fishing licenses.

In Texas, the law is:
Required of all non-residents who fish in the public waters of Texas.

Licenses/Packages are not required if you are a:
• non-resident under 17 years of age;
• Louisiana resident 65 years of age or older who possesses a valid Louisiana Recreational Fishing License (includes Senior Fish/Hunt License);
or
• Oklahoma resident 65 years of age or older.

Do any other states not require a non-resident license under similar or other circumstances?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Non-Resident Fishing License Question - 05/17/18 01:06 AM

As far as I know, no. When I fish opens, I always have to get a 7day license for that particular state. Some discount their licenses, but I haven't fished a state that didn't require me to pay for something. .....most charge significantly MORE for a non-resident license. I know Mississippi was kinda expensive.

Other than that.....not much help.

On a positive, all of the states I've fished except for Texas, ( 34 and counting) have the ability to sell a license over the Internet and you can then download the license into your smartphone and it is legit. Texas is archaic in the way it's government offices are managed. Most still don't even accept debit cards! Lol.
Posted By: LaBones

Re: Non-Resident Fishing License Question - 05/17/18 03:51 AM

Louisiana honors Texas senior licenses for fishing. Louisiana sells their Senior license starting at age 60, that is why Texas specifies 65 or older Louisiana senior license holder.
Posted By: basshc

Re: Non-Resident Fishing License Question - 05/17/18 10:20 AM

Nephew was here from Denver last. week bought one in the boat with iPad.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Non-Resident Fishing License Question - 05/17/18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
On a positive, all of the states I've fished except for Texas, ( 34 and counting) have the ability to sell a license over the Internet and you can then download the license into your smartphone and it is legit. Texas is archaic in the way it's government offices are managed. Most still don't even accept debit cards! Lol.

You can buy Texas licenses online now and they will be mailed... Had to do it on the road to the lake at 5:00am last year. Forgot I wasn’t on a “normal” schedule yet. One day off...
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Non-Resident Fishing License Question - 05/17/18 03:54 PM

Oklahoma does.

License Exemptions
The following persons are exempt from the res­i­dent or non­res­i­dent fishing license:

Residents under 16 years old.
Nonresidents under 14 years old.
Nonresidents under 16 years old who reside in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Texas or Wisconsin.
Resident owners or tenants, their spouses, par­ents, grandparents, children and their spouses, grand­chil­dren and their spouses who fish in pri­vate ponds on land owned or leased by such own­er or tenant.
Nonresidents 65 and older who are residents of Texas. (Valid ID required.)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum