Texas Fishing Forum

Shad Spawn

Posted By: chickenfried76

Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 01:55 AM

I got into a shad spawn yesterday. Once I figured out that they wanted a white spinner bait, I caught some good fish. What are some other baits y’all like in this scenario? For me, they would not hit a white swimming fluke or bone yellow magic.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 02:03 AM

SB in white. Deadly. White spinner is my #2. Shouldn’t need a third unless they are just going crazy on a white top water bait.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 02:06 AM

wopics
A chrome trap
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 02:27 AM

Square bill in a natural shad color. White spinner. White chatterbait.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 04:58 AM

Fluke and Spook.
Wake Bait.
Seen others using Buzz Baits.
Posted By: Derick Maschmeier

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 11:08 AM

What is your favorite color?
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: MaschinBass
What is an LC .7 SB?

eeks
Posted By: toledo puma

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 11:34 AM

1/4 oz swim bait head with a zoom swimming super fluke jr. in white ice or smoking shad
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 03:21 PM

Underspin, small swimbait, chatterbait, just to name a few of my favorites.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 03:27 PM

Underspin and spook
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 03:31 PM

Topwater
Posted By: DaveTV

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 03:42 PM

I caught them on the Yellow Magic in "White Shad"
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 07:05 PM

Nailed em on a Chart Swinging Sugar Buzz.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 07:09 PM

White 1/4 oz. Beatle spin, 3/8 oz. Rocket shad in natural color.. You'll hook up every cast while the shad are active....
Posted By: coachmatt

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 07:58 PM

do they mostly spawn on points,against retaining walls, or in back of pockets? Or yes to all 3?
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/15/18 09:24 PM

Yes to all 3 they really love those retaining walls though
Posted By: coachmatt

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/16/18 08:32 PM

how long does the shad spawn usually last?
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/16/18 10:08 PM

1st and last 30 - 45 minutes of the day, can extend longer with decent cloud cover.

Its my understanding that once the water hits 70 degree's they will start spawning, and can spawn for several months if the conditions are right.

Someone feel free to correct me if i'm giving out bad information.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/16/18 10:23 PM

67 degrees they start and they usually spawn for 1-2 months. Once temps consitantly get over 70 in morning or night they will quit. Gizzards its seems to be 64-70 .. Anytime during the spawn they are going to hold close to the bank.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/16/18 11:00 PM

I’ve always heard 75-80 degree water. It depends on the conditions on a given lake.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/16/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
I’ve always heard 75-80 degree water. It depends on the conditions on a given lake.

Gizzards and sometimes threads will go shallow as water gets warmer and throughout the day. I've found while catching bait if I want threads early morning in warmer months 15-20ft. If I want gizzards heat of the day and back of creeks and coves 5ft or less. Gizzards handle the hot water better
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/16/18 11:24 PM

I don't even know how the shad spawn works but ran into 3 or 4 schools of shad flickering on the surface, Monday on Fork. They stayed on top in the middle of the cove I was in but would try to make it close to the bank and vegetation every now and then. Never got bit throwing all kinds of stuff under them in open water in 6/7 feet of water but as soon as they tried to get close to shoreline cover in two feet of water, there would be action and I would paddle over and usually get bit. Reminded me of fishing schools of mullet in the salt. Looks like they would be easy to spot all over the lake if that is how they act during the spawn. These shad never went down but stayed visible on the surface all afternoon.

Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/17/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: chickenfried76
I got into a shad spawn yesterday. Once I figured out that they wanted a white spinner bait, I caught some good fish. What are some other baits y’all like in this scenario? For me, they would not hit a white swimming fluke or bone yellow magic.

Heck I never caught a shad on a bait , throw net yes
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Shad Spawn - 05/17/18 01:15 AM

I went through a lot of hollow belly swimbaits Monday. I remember someone mentioning the other day on here that they had to dye the tails chartreuse on flukes or whatever they were using or they didn't get bit. I always dip my tails and it didn't seem to matter what color baits I used Monday. Tried fishing one without dying just to see if that was what was key and sure enough I never got bit for the next half hour of throwing it. Dipped it, and soon started getting bit again.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum