Texas Fishing Forum

Palestine Fish Kill

Posted By: hookedon

Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 05:37 PM

Hope it's nothing too serious

http://www.kltv.com/story/38184599/dozens-of-dead-fish-wash-up-on-lake-palestine-shores
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 06:38 PM

We saw a ton of them floating Saturday. Based on what others who were out there told me they saw there were thousands all over the lake, north to south.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 07:48 PM

What kind of fish are floating?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 07:50 PM

Looks to be crappie, perch, bass and sandies in the picture from the article.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 07:52 PM

Mostly sand bass but I saw a lot of largemouth as well. Saw a few catfish, bream and crappie. It ain't good whatever is going on.
Posted By: Stikslinger

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 07:52 PM

Must have just happened. Was there for 4 days weekend before last and didn’t see any dead fish.
North of the Marina they had the baracads up for Great Sullvania. Wounded if that had anything to do with it.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 07:54 PM

And it's more like thousands than dozens.

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 07:54 PM

Doesn't sound good...
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 08:30 PM

If it's mostly white bass that's not a bad thing. Those things eat tons of bass fry and fingerlings
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 08:57 PM

I was fishing in Highsaw once and saw some soapy water running into the lake from a pipe that went up to a house. Looked like someone's washing machine draining into the lake. Seen the same thing at Tawakoni once. Appears something in the water caused this too.

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
If it's mostly white bass that's not a bad thing. Those things eat tons of bass fry and fingerlings

I like white bass more than bass
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 09:12 PM

I remember seeing the same thing in Cooper 15 or so years ago. Let's hope fishing at Palestine doesn't go the way of Cooper. Something is obviously going on there to make all those fish die.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

I like white bass more than bass

You're in luck. Those nasty things are thick still.
Posted By: wild bill

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 10:46 PM

Several years ago maybe longer than that... Same thing happened As I remember it is a natural happening occurrence When the cold water is trapped by the sudden warm up the fish are caught in the 'Thermocline" of oxygen deprived water. This may not be what happened but It is a better explanation than one 'washing machine water'

Wild Bill

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: wild bill
Several years ago maybe longer than that... Same thing happened As I remember it is a natural happening occurrence When the cold water is trapped by the sudden warm up the fish are caught in the 'Thermocline" of oxygen deprived water. This may not be what happened but It is a better explanation than one 'washing machine water'

Wild Bill

This was one of the pictures that was in the post of the OP Bill which made me think of the soapy water I saw. In a couple of the other pictures you can see a substance floating on the water. It was just a thought not a cause of the situation.

Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/14/18 11:10 PM

....you guys ever heard of MOTHER NATURE ....
not everything that happens is because of mankind or the ozone or gamma rays
sometimes Mother Nature just corrects something that is not quite right.
it is NOT THE END of the WORLD !!!!
Posted By: hookedon

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/15/18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
....you guys ever heard of MOTHER NATURE ....
not everything that happens is because of mankind or the ozone or gamma rays
sometimes Mother Nature just corrects something that is not quite right.
it is NOT THE END of the WORLD !!!!

May be not the end of the world but it's not normal either
Posted By: DJB

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/15/18 12:26 AM

I'm thinking all the Ultrex are spinning the oxygen out of the water.

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/15/18 12:28 AM

There was a thing on the Local news about the fish kill I did not catch it but it was the local game and fish people talking about the 'kill' will try to copy and paste the article..
wild bill
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/15/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: DJB
I'm thinking all the Ultrex are spinning the oxygen out of the water.
....see, and I was thinking 2-strokes have finally polluted the water enough to kill em.

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/15/18 12:55 AM

the spill and Kills guy (Conley) for parks and wildlife said on the KLTV 7 news that the kill was a species specific (sand bass) disease that the sand bass had contacted some thing to do with spawning. Read it on the KLTV tv web site. The soapy water is always in there in Palestine when water is stirred up or during the turn over, Next year Palestine will be up to putting the anglers out to pasture as usual. And we will be talking about the 'big' fish kill of 2018.

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/15/18 12:56 AM

There was a thing on the Local news about the fish kill I did not catch it but it was the local game and fish people talking about the 'kill' will try to copy and paste the article..
wild bill

Bill, I think what you are referring to is in the OP's link. Click on it and see.

Re: Palestine Fish Kill - 05/15/18 01:50 AM

the spill and Kills guy (Conley) for parks and wildlife said on the KLTV 7 news that the kill was a species specific (sand bass) disease that the sand bass had contacted some thing to do with spawning. Read it on the KLTV tv web site. The soapy water is always in there in Palestine when water is stirred up or during the turn over, Next year Palestine will be up to putting the anglers out to pasture as usual. And we will be talking about the 'big' fish kill of 2018.

some thing to do with spawning

Post spawn mortality event.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum