Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare?

Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 02:08 PM

Just for fun, I entered myself in the Bassmaster Elite tournament next week at Lake Travis, and fished it yesterday. Curious to know if I can place in the top half of the Elite field. Don't really think so with my 12lb 4oz bag. Let me know what you think? What would it take to finish in the top half on day1 of the tournament? Free SPF 30 SkunkedAgain shirt on the video, just subscribe and comment.

Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 04:05 PM

12 will get you top 50 I would think for sure

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 04:16 PM

Chance:
That would be cool. But to be fair, I should come out on Thursday and fish under the same conditions as them, as well as follow the rules (2 poles & trolling are not allowed).

That would be a true test.....
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 04:36 PM

Good luck! 12 usually not a terrible # on Travis.....usually. Lots of smaller fish.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 05:48 PM

With conditions that will be. Im thinking top 50% cut will be 14#'s. Its better than it used to be in the late 80's early 90's where 12-14 would win MOST times. Back then ANYTHING over 14 was a HUGE stringer.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 05:59 PM

Yep fishing might get tougher after they’ve been pounded for a few days.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 06:28 PM

It's also different having the lake to yourself vs all the competitors fighting for spots.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 07:02 PM

We have already had a TFF member win and Elite Series Tournament.............
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
Just for fun, I entered myself in the Bassmaster Elite tournament next week at Lake Travis, and fished it yesterday. Curious to know if I can place in the top half of the Elite field. Don't really think so with my 12lb 4oz bag. Let me know what you think? What would it take to finish in the top half on day1 of the tournament? Free SPF 30 SkunkedAgain shirt on the video, just subscribe and comment.

I didn't know you could sign up for something like that and fish with the pros.good to know

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by northdallasfisherman
Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing

I didn't know you could sign up for something like that and fish with the pros.good to know

It didn't enter anything, it was a virtual competition I made up on my own, just to see how I'd fare. I always wanted to see how an average fisherman would do against the field. Of course they're going after 5 big fish; sometimes striking out. I'm going for quantity and sometimes getting lucky. It's still exciting to "fish" with the big boys.

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
With conditions that will be. Im thinking top 50% cut will be 14#'s. Its better than it used to be in the late 80's early 90's where 12-14 would win MOST times. Back then ANYTHING over 14 was a HUGE stringer.

Travis is Dink country to me. Often, you can go out there, catch 25 and barely break 12 lbs all together...

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
It's also different having the lake to yourself vs all the competitors fighting for spots.

Yep, the fishing pressure makes for a big difference. Maybe... maybe I'll take off Thursday and fish it. I drop in on the far north end of the lake (away from Jonestown); so I wonder if there will be many boats there on tournament day.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 07:34 PM

You can bank on quite a few being above the Pedernales/Colorado junction at least in the morning half.,
Posted By: CowboyVet

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 09:08 PM

There will be several 20+ pound bags. It will just be hard to be consistent.

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 09:29 PM

You can bank on quite a few being above the Pedernales/Colorado junction at least in the morning half.,

I drop in up that way to get away from the crowd; so that even if I get SkunkedAgain, I'll still enjoy the peace and tranquility. However, as you noted, that area consistent produces for me.

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 09:30 PM

Yep. These guys go for 5 big bites, knowing that 30 dinks don't win them anything. I'm thinking 4 days of 18 average would be in contention
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/12/18 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing
Originally Posted By: leethefishking

Yep, the fishing pressure makes for a big difference. Maybe... maybe I'll take off Thursday and fish it. I drop in on the far north end of the lake (away from Jonestown); so I wonder if there will be many boats there on tournament day.

My question is... why?

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/13/18 09:47 AM

In the case of the way they're doing this tournament (catch, weigh, and release on the spot), it may be less of a factor. They will keep one large fish over 21" for the weigh-in. But unlike other tournaments, the field will not take 5 fish back to the marina.

But in general, when there are many fishermen hitting the same spots over and over, fishing would naturally be tougher. But I've never asked the fish, so it may not be a factor at all.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/13/18 02:18 PM

wrong wrong..it is the Texas BASS Fest with judges in the boat so they will no restrictions on fish size. Catch, weigh and release on the spot.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/13/18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
wrong wrong..it is the Texas BASS Fest with judges in the boat so they will no restrictions on fish size. Catch, weigh and release on the spot.

So they don't have to be 14" to weigh?
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/13/18 08:13 PM

Now this thread beats all I have ever seen..... whatever keeps you entertained man
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/13/18 09:29 PM

Maybe... maybe I'll take off Thursday and fish it. I drop in on the far north end of the lake (away from Jonestown); so I wonder if there will be many boats there on tournament day.

There might be numerous Elite boats way up lake above the Perdnales/Colorado split - at least the first 2 days Thur/Fri. Depends on how their practice goes up there if they decide to make the run up there on T-days.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/13/18 10:51 PM

Jaret you are right and I was wrong. Got it mixed up with the Toyota Bass Fest.

Congrats on placing at Bass Champs.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 12:17 AM

It's a 14" minimum to be weighed and counted in the boat. Best 5 make up the daily weight. You can bring in one over 21" per day.

4 days. Full field the first two days. Cut to 52 for Saturday. 12 Fish on Sunday.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 03:19 AM

Travis is Dink country to me. Often, you can go out there, catch 25 and barely break 12 lbs all together...

I fish it dang near every weekend and if you are only catching 12 lbs you aren't on the X.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 03:30 AM

Jaret I don't know what the bottom is but if they decide it is 10" then that is what it will be because they keep no fish. Well they may be advised to bring in "overs" like they did at Fork. I don't know what a big fish is at Travis.

A lot of 7's and 8's will be caught. I would be surprised by a DD but they are in there for sure. The weekend is going to be hard on them. Upper 90's will bring out all of the boats. It will be packed and choppy and getting from the North end back to weigh-in will take longer than they will expect and it will make fishing the main lake points dicey after about 10:30 both days.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 04:13 AM

Lakes in good shape. Lots of 13-16lbs bags. Some 20's will be caught. As stated, the trip back each day will be the deal. Luckily they don't have to go all the way to the dam.

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: stringwise

I fish it dang near every weekend and if you are only catching 12 lbs you aren't on the X.

I'd have to agree, that if they can't beat a Skunker like me, being "Elite" wouldn't mean much. Maybe the 12'4 will beat somebody, like a disqualified or someone with boat trouble.

I think it would be fun to get others out on the water this week and do the same challenge. To me, it's like getting to play golf at Augusta National (The Masters) to compare my score to the pros. OK, not exactly the same, but it's every bit as exciting to me.

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 12:14 PM

Jaret I don't know what the bottom is but if they decide it is 10" then that is what it will be because they keep no fish. Well they may be advised to bring in "overs" like they did at Fork. I don't know what a big fish is at Travis.

A lot of 7's and 8's will be caught. I would be surprised by a DD but they are in there for sure. The weekend is going to be hard on them. Upper 90's will bring out all of the boats. It will be packed and choppy and getting from the North end back to weigh-in will take longer than they will expect and it will make fishing the main lake points dicey after about 10:30 both days.

Where do you all think the winners will be caught, North, South, central?

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 12:26 PM

I hope there are big bags next weekend. It would be encouraging to see Travis make a strong showing.

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Now this thread beats all I have ever seen..... whatever keeps you entertained man

I'd have to admit, it's a pretty goofy idea. I'd really like to see someone fish it on Thursday under the same rules and conditions to see how they'd fare. In hardly any other sport does one get to do this. Wait, you can do this with bowling.....If there is a TBF (for bowling), I'd do the same. But me breaking triple digits on a good day may not place in the top half of professional bowlers. And the same is probably true of 12lb 4oz in fishing.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Lake Travis, fishing against Bassmaster Elites, How would I fare? - 05/14/18 04:16 PM

Local scuttlebutt this morning is many Elites making run up lake this morning likely in search of off-colored water for 1st practice day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum