Texas Fishing Forum

rv’s pros and cons

Posted By: dimitri

rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 01:39 PM

looking to buy first rv and have watched tons of youtube vids and have been on a few forums also seeking wisdom on the subject. my question is what are the pros and cons of a bumper pull vs fifth wheel vs park models? and why do you happen to like one better than the others? please share any post purchase regrets you might have had and anything to look out for as a first time buyer.

thx in advance
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 01:49 PM

Ive had all of them on Fork. You need to decide what you want it for. If you are wanting a "LAke House" type deal, where you don't ever move it. Get a 5th wheel or park model. If it is something you will move, get a bumper pull. We have a 5th wheel on Fork, and it never moves. It's basically a lake house for us.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 01:52 PM

that’s exactly what we want and don’t ever plan on moving it once its setup.
Posted By: Brutaldudeski

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 01:55 PM

The fifth wheels generally are a little bigger. I would rather pull the fifth wheel as well, much safer load distribution
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
Ive had all of them on Fork. You need to decide what you want it for. If you are wanting a "LAke House" type deal, where you don't ever move it. Get a 5th wheel or park model. If it is something you will move, get a bumper pull. We have a 5th wheel on Fork, and it never moves. It's basically a lake house for us.

I'll be kick'n some tail right there in Domino's Saturday night.... nuts
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 02:01 PM

You wish! Im sure Kay and Shanda will be whoopin our a$$e$!!!! roflmao
Posted By: RO519

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 02:10 PM

This is my parents 36’ outback bunkhouse bumper pull that they keep at Lakeview at Rayburn. They are nice enough to let my wife and I have a set of keys to use it.

One thing to take into consideration is the number of beds. The bunkhouse option has more sleeping space than the living room layouts. The bunkhouse was the best option for my parents cause we usually have a lot of people up there on big weekends.
Posted By: John Vogt

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 03:12 PM

I own an RV park and rent camper trailers. If you don't plan on moving it or traveling, I'd definitely get a park model. If it has grey and black water tanks, cut them out and plumb it directly to the sewer line. If not, you will always have to deal with the tanks clogging, draining the tanks and then stinking!
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 07:29 PM

I have a 43.5 ft fifth wheel at Bridgeview at lot #69. It has a full covered walkway down the length of the RV to a 25'x25' covered deck with all of the "stuff "on it
The RV has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, electronic fireplace, very nice with regular residential refrigerator, stove etc. 2 TV's One master bed room and another bedroom has three bunks for the grandkids. We bought it because there was a lot more useable room than a Park model. It works great for us. The Pqrk models are very nice, but they are small.
When we are at the lake, we are outside most of the time anyway.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. As you can see at BV, all residences have similar setups with the decks. Bruce just put in a new 100' fishing pier, and a covered boat slip. BV also has a covered pavillion for parties with a big BAR B Q smoker.
I think its fair to say that the owner is very attentive to the needs of his customers, and stays out of the way when we go up to spend time.

I never plan to move our RV unless we move for good and I don't see that happening

Your move!
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 08:05 PM

I started with a pop up style w/roof air. Great little unit for a young couple just starting out and traveling. My next was a 24’ bumper pull Prowler. Nice unit took my family all over south and southeast U.S. my next unit was a 31’ Jayco Designer series 5th wheel and learned real quick that the 5th wheel is the easiest to tow, as said earlier weight distribution and they follow your tow vehicle better. Traveled the whole U.S. with this unit and eventually ended up being my deer camp cabin. I currently have a 31’ Monte Vista at an annual lease at Lake Fork. This unit has stayed there since it was purchased. If I were to purchase another unit it would be either be a 5th wheel or park model. 5th wheels are more roomy then bumper pulls. If this is your 1st ever unit, the first thing you do when looking is sit on the pot and make sure you have room, nothing worse then doing your business and being all scrunched up. Mine is at West Fork Landing. Slide outs make a ton of difference in today’s RV’s.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 08:30 PM

We looked at this option, realized when its all said and done for a little bit more we could buy decent house for the costs of an 5th wheel RV and Monthly rental space.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
We looked at this option, realized when its all said and done for a little bit more we could buy decent house for the costs of an 5th wheel RV and Monthly rental space.

Same here, we had a trailer at Bridgeview and Pelican Point at Fork and both were very pleasant but we have decided to have a weekend place there again and we are buying a house on the water.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/10/18 10:38 PM

I got a trailer house because of the larger amount of room in it. I don't like being cramped up. Even a park model is limited to 600 sq.ft. and they are expensive.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/11/18 12:06 AM

One thing everyone failed to mention is the maintenance.
Just cause it is new means nothing they still have issues.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/13/18 02:03 PM

Have had about every type of fifth wheel, always something..... get you a park model, and forget the worries.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/13/18 02:24 PM

I think the reason you might have more problems with 5th wheels is that people drive them around and things like electrical and plumbing loosen up. When mine was set up, I had to call and get a small leak on the water line to the ice maker fixed. I don't plan to ever move it around. I don't think you could do that with a park model either.
Anyway, after two years, my wife and I really like being at Fork in a secure area with our own place to stay and fix up the way we want.
You can't go wrong either way. Park model or 5th wheel.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/13/18 05:25 PM

If you can get a park model that’s what I would do. At sometime the others will start leaking water. The toilets and showers are considerably better. That’s just my opinion based on what I have seen.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/13/18 07:07 PM

We have a Breckenridge park model and love it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/13/18 07:23 PM

No bash to the RV owners cus I'm one but: Park Model if you are never wanting to to drag it around camping. Like the difference between a Tiny House and a camper. While movable when necessary they will not depreciate(and dilapidate) like a camper.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/15/18 01:37 AM

Plus don’t have to worry about slide outs leaking, electric boards going out on water heater,and fridge going out. All in all,park model less problems. And roofs won’t have to be redone,and sides won’t delaminate.
Posted By: JBellZX250

Re: rv’s pros and cons - 05/15/18 01:50 AM

I will throw my advice in as well and vote for Park Model. We have had a bumper pull and 5th wheel and both have required yearly repair expenses. We did buy used both time to avoid the initial depreciation.

Now that we have the waterfront spot if I was positive we were going to keep our place at the lake I would buy a Park model with the loft space and actual stairs up to the loft. From my experience campers work well but are just not built for the every weekend type use as they age. As others mentioned the water heater, inverter/converter, roof damage due to tree limbs after a storm, etc.are all problems you will encounter.

I like with a park model you have better insulation, better windows, real siding, real roofs, home quality electrical system, and a much more efficient hvac. Sure you loose a little space from no slides and the configuration but the true lock and leave function is worth it I believe now. The initial cost will be a little more but in the long run I think it will save you money overall and resale will be much better if you ever decide to move on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum