Texas Fishing Forum

Desperate at Fork....updated results page 2

Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Desperate at Fork....updated results page 2 - 05/10/18 01:31 AM

Heading to Fork again this Saturday morning. I've hardly had any luck at this lake, but the thoughts of a monster keep drawing me back. Could someone please give me some solid information. You can PM me if you want to keep it private, but don't worry I go there maybe once a month so you won't have to worry about me hammering a spot everyday. Oh yea it's my birthday on Saturday and I want to catch some fish! Thanks family
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 11:31 AM

My advice: don't get your expectations up. That lake is extremely tough unless you fish it a ton. I've been 3 times this year and caught one fish. She just so happened to be 8 and a half lbs, but there was a lot of sitting around not catching fish during those trips. That's just Fork. You can luck into a bite occasionally and it might be the best fishing you've ever had. But much more often than not, you would have caught more fish going to your local lake and throwing a spinnerbait, worm, or crankbait around good structure.

For the guys who fish it all the time, it really is an awesome lake. The plethora of slot fish make it unlike almost anything else around. But it just gets beat up too hard to be an easy lake to fish for the occasional visitor.

Happy birthday though! Good luck!
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 11:40 AM

It's just a super tough lake. If you aren't mentally in a spot where you can go out there with the expectation of a tough day it might not be the right lake for you right now. The spawn is now wrapping up as well. That lake has had ENORMOUS pressure the past two months. I've been skunked with big name guides out there before. As we move into summer the offshore spots should offer a little more consistency. Break out your 6XD and cast your arm off on offshore humps/points and you'll get bit.
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 11:41 AM

There is a shad spawn going on early in the mornings. Most clay points on the main lake have some fish chasing. Throw a top water or square bill and you'll get bit. Later in the day you can throw a weightless fluke up to the edge of the alligator grass and fish it very slow back to the boat. Hope this helps.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 12:25 PM

I would start out early in Dale Creek or Williams throwing a frog up to the bank. Good Luck.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
It's just a super tough lake. If you aren't mentally in a spot where you can go out there with the expectation of a tough day it might not be the right lake for you right now. The spawn is now wrapping up as well. That lake has had ENORMOUS pressure the past two months. I've been skunked with big name guides out there before. As we move into summer the offshore spots should offer a little more consistency. Break out your 6XD and cast your arm off on offshore humps/points and you'll get bit.

+1

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 01:33 PM

Sent you a PM.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service
There is a shad spawn going on early in the mornings. Most clay points on the main lake have some fish chasing. Throw a top water or square bill and you'll get bit. Later in the day you can throw a weightless fluke up to the edge of the alligator grass and fish it very slow back to the boat. Hope this helps.

If I were you, better listen to this man. He's right on the money, that shad spawn in the mornings don't last very long. Like he said look for points with activity, bridge rip rap, concrete ret walls. If you have 2 days to fish the second day can be laid out better in the mornings if you figure it out the first day. The gator grass is better up north than down south imo.

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 01:51 PM

Thank you everyone for the information.
Posted By: heb-bass

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 02:49 PM

Last Sunday was phenomenal. I was fishing alone and caught 32 bass. 2 were over 7lbs and a few more in the 5-6lb range. Over half of them were over 3.5lbs. It was just a great day for numbers!

PM sent
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 03:33 PM

sent you a PM
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 04:55 PM

Along with all the other advice throw a finesse worm on a drop shot. You might need to experiment with colors to see which they want. Last weekend a Zoom finesse worm in green pumpkin/gold was working well. I was fishing it in 4-8ft of water.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 05:40 PM

All of the above mentioned will get you bit right now!
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 07:31 PM

Are there gators in gator grass?? hmmm
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 09:17 PM

Pm sent
Posted By: buda13

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 09:32 PM

If your super desperate, just head up to East Fork about 2 hours before close. eeks
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
If your super desperate, just head up to East Fork about 2 hours before close. eeks

Yep, that will get you bit.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 09:37 PM

Fishing on the weekends is twice as tough as during the week and I feel for those who can only fish the weekends. The spawn is still going on mainly south so fishing shallow will still work but I feel points and humps will produce the biggest and numbers of fish. I launched at 154 this morning around
6:30 and caught 2 right off the ramp. Shad were everywhere. All the fish I caught today were in 3 FOW or less. Hope you have a great day on your birthday but go with the idea of enjoying the day and treat yourself to one of those fabulous chicken fried dinners at Oak Ridge. thumb
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/10/18 09:57 PM

Go flip/pitch docks..... cheers
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/11/18 02:23 AM

Can't remember the name of the cove but find "Bass Haven at Lake Fork" RV park. East side of the lake below the 515 bridge.

From that end of the cove (may be called "Possum something" on a topo map) and all the way to the main lake is a great spot. Leaving the RV park area towards the main lake you will find a big open area on the right (south side area). Work the grass lines. Don't just fish them once and leave. Come back again and again. About halfway from the RV park and the open area is a good crappie spot. One lake guide was by himself and caught a lot of crappie on minnows.

Found that the most effective bait in this area is a green pumpkinseed or watermelon red super fluke. Dip the tip of the tail in chartreuse garlic dye. You can fish it without a weight or add a small lead weight clipped about 12 inches from the lure. The key is fish it slow - slow - slow. If that doesn't work, fish it slower.

Might also want to try a black or watermelon red lizard rigged the same way.
Posted By: Forkin fool

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/11/18 12:13 PM

Throw an underpin around main lake points and secondary points early!!! Top water is on fire too! I've been doing pretty good on a 1/2 oz blakemore underpin with a keitech trailer (4.8") or a spook, yella magic, or a Sammie on top. Later in the day just get out on points and Start graphing! You will find something... if you find a wad of whites just remember the big girls will be close to them somewhere... good luck maybe I'll see ya out there!

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/11/18 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampyMan
Thank you everyone for the information.

Sent you a screenshot of a map

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/12/18 08:05 PM

Tried everything everyone said and caught one bass. One. So disappointed. Idk why I can never do well at Fork. Drives me nuts
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/12/18 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
Originally Posted By: buda13

Yep, that will get you bit.

roflmao
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/12/18 10:28 PM

Don't try to fish the way other folks fish. Stick with what you have the most confidence in.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/12/18 10:37 PM

Might be swim bait time. Just sayin
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/13/18 01:52 AM

Fished a tournament out there today. Weighed 5 good unders. Caught them on square bill crankbaits on a shallow point with shad spawning. Then hit the back of a couple pockets and caught more on a frog. Fished deeper mainlake points with a Carolina rig and caught about 20 slot fish, biggest 5 were over 35 pounds. They are there, you just have to keep looking. Fork is usually feast or famine!!

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/13/18 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service
Fished a tournament out there today. Weighed 5 good unders. Caught them on square bill crankbaits on a shallow point with shad spawning. Then hit the back of a couple pockets and caught more on a frog. Fished deeper mainlake points with a Carolina rig and caught about 20 slot fish, biggest 5 were over 35 pounds. They are there, you just have to keep looking. Fork is usually feast or famine!!

Tell me where we went wrong because I thought we were set up perfect. Launched at West side 515 ramp at 515am. Got set up on the main point in glade and when the sun came up there were multiple heron type birds munching shad on the shore. Could watch them eat shad over and over. I thought we were perfect. Hit this spot for an hour with not a bite. Finally went south to long branch point and picked up our one fish on a swim bait. We fished everything we could think of. Square bills, carolina rigs, spinner bait, swim bait, jig, frog, etc. I would get a guide if I could afford it, but hell may be about time.

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/13/18 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service
Might be swim bait time. Just sayin

Fished mainly with a swim bait and that's what I caught the 13.5 incher on
Posted By: Tiltedtitan

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/13/18 05:09 AM

If you are fishing tomorrow again. Pm me.

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/13/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Tiltedtitan
If you are fishing tomorrow again. Pm me.

Just yesterday unfortunately. I don't have trouble catching fish at any other lake, then I drive 2 hours to fork and can barely land a single fish.

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/13/18 01:55 PM

Hopefully you were at the 515 East ramp. Its a long way from 515 West to Swampyman

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/13/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Hopefully you were at the 515 East ramp. Its a long way from 515 West to Swampyman

Yes West side of the east arm
Posted By: PTGfish

Re: Desperate at Fork - 05/14/18 01:23 AM

I haven't fished Fork in over a year so I am probably not the one to give advice but here goes. Fish fork the way you like to fish. Once I stopped trying to do what I was reading I started catching fish out there way more consistently. You can catch them flipping, cranking, or how ever you want. Good luck, I hope you figure them out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum