Texas Fishing Forum

Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer?

Posted By: texasAUtiger

Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 08:07 PM

I may have the opportunity next month to hit the road a couple of times to fish some lakes that I've never laid eyes on, much less fished. I'm out of Waco, so I'm working outward from there.

These are all within about 3 hours (one way). What would your top ones be and why?

Stillhouse
Limestone
Fairfield
Naconiche
Cedar Creek
Athens
Somerville
Bastrop
Granbury
Possum Kingdom
Any of the metroplex lakes

If there is a good lake reasonably close to these (I'm coming from Waco) that I'm overlooking, feel free to suggest it. Thanks.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 08:25 PM

I have only fished 5 of those lakes, but they have been good to me, for the most part. On that list, I like PK the best, with Cedar Creek running 2nd. I would also add Lake Lewisville, as I used to guide on that lake. If you decide to go there, PM me and I can make your time more enjoyable on the lake by giving you some areas that consistently have fish on them. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 08:37 PM

Without a doubt PK. Beautiful lake, clear water, great ramps and the lake is loaded with baitfish and the fish show it. I prefer to fish rocky banks near deeper water but there are boat docks and brush piles to fish also. And, you'll catch stripers schooling with the bass early morning.

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 08:50 PM

Also, in case it matters, my primary techniques (meaning what I have confidence in or feel like I'm most productive with) are shallow cranking, pitching/flipping soft plastics (weightless or TX rigged). Of course I love anything topwater if the bite is on.

It'd be interesting to hit some that allowed me to "do my thing" but also good for me if some forced me to do something different in order to be successful.
Posted By: jcombsiv

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 08:59 PM

With the way Buchanan is fishing right now, I would include it on your list.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
I have only fished 5 of those lakes, but they have been good to me, for the most part. On that list, I like PK the best, with Cedar Creek running 2nd. I would also add Lake Lewisville, as I used to guide on that lake. If you decide to go there, PM me and I can make your time more enjoyable on the lake by giving you some areas that consistently have fish on them. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

I agree with Lewisville, on a weekday! OH WAIT, NO....There are no fish in Lewisville! hammer
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 11:02 PM

Naconiche. I want to head down there for 3 or 4 days, plus you have lake nacogdoches
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/09/18 11:27 PM

Stillhouse would be a good one. It's one of my favorite lakes even though it's a haul for me. Really clear water, so it's an awesome topwater lake. The river portion is great too. If you wanna go catch dinks all day, Bastrop is your best choice.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 12:58 AM

Bastrop is a dink fest lake!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 01:46 AM

Out of all of those listed...I'd pick to stay at Waco. ......maybe stillbouse.

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Ha! Any other suggestions within say 3 hours of Waco?

Obvious ones that come to mind are Fork (been there) and Falcon (just too far). On the other hand, Toledo Bend and Rayburn are a little far, but more importantly, are big water for my 17' g3 especially by myself in unfamiliar water. (Maybe I'm just a chicken.) But maybe there is a gem tucked away somewhere that I should try. Feel free to suggest!
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 02:26 AM

1. PK mid lake.
2. Squaw Creek upper end.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Ha! Any other suggestions within say 3 hours of Waco?

Obvious ones that come to mind are Fork (been there) and Falcon (just too far). On the other hand, Toledo Bend and Rayburn are a little far, but more importantly, are big water for my 17' g3 especially by myself in unfamiliar water. (Maybe I'm just a chicken.) But maybe there is a gem tucked away somewhere that I should try. Feel free to suggest!

Athens. That lake has been kickin' out the ShareLunkers lately...only thing is, they're the 8 lb. kind, not the 13's. Seriously though, lots of 5-8 pound fish being caught, with an occasional 8+. Slot lake, 14-21 inch slot. It's a small lake, so not much risk of getting lost. My 17' tin Ranger handles it fine. And it's only 2 1/2 hours (max) from Waco.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 02:36 AM

East TX. Plenty of options. Houston co.,Nacogdoches, Kurth, And Pinkston would be lakes id look af.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 02:36 AM

East TX. Plenty of options. Houston co.,Nacogdoches, Kurth, And Pinkston would be lakes id look af.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 02:38 AM

PK mid week and still bring sit down seat with seat belt, curious as to when the state will ban wake boats. fish
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: NickHasty
East TX. Plenty of options. Houston co.,Nacogdoches, Kurth, And Pinkston would be lakes id look at.

THIS!!!
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/10/18 12:32 PM

Stillhouse is a fun lake and an easy day trip from Waco. The water is super clear, lots of grass to have fun with and also plenty of timber and rock ledges to pitch/flip to like Waco. As mentioned, its a great topwater lake.

Don't forget about Belton or Whitney too.

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 03:15 PM

Bumpity bump. Just in case.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 03:53 PM

does stillhouse get crazy with jet flies and such?
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 04:24 PM

Get a handful of top waters and hit Whitney.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 05:45 PM

Athens and PK for me. And add Pines!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 06:12 PM

You camping? Sleeping on your boat/in your vehicle? Staying in hotels? Cabins?

Some lakes have better accommodations than others

It’s getting hot, so you may want to narrow your search to lakes with AC cabins/kitchenette/motel

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
You camping? Sleeping on your boat/in your vehicle? Staying in hotels? Cabins?

Some lakes have better accommodations than others

It’s getting hot, so you may want to narrow your search to lakes with AC cabins/kitchenette/motel

I would need accommodations. They could be very simple, so long as they have A/C and place to plug my boat up overnight. On the lake I'm fishing is best, but not absolutely necessary.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 07:31 PM

PK & Joe Pool
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/27/18 08:26 PM

Out of your list I would do Naconiche and Athens. Lake Naconice and lake Nacogdoches are both good lakes and very close to each other. You could fish both over a weekend. Bring some $1.00's to Naconiche because there is a ramp fee.
Posted By: JDJ01

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/28/18 02:42 AM

Whitney is in your backyard
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/28/18 02:44 AM

Depends on if you are trophy hunting or fun fishing. Also depends on if you are fishing weekends or weekdays. Hard to beat Travis during the week for numbers and plenty of size out there too but I wouldn't fish it on the weekends until Labor Day if you have the choice.

For an easier drive:
1. Buchanan is hot
2. Stillhouse is just fun to fish
3. Cedar Creek
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/28/18 07:43 PM

Houston County Lake right outside of Crocket! One of my favorites for sure
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/28/18 08:50 PM

I would recommend Lake Buchanan. The largemouth record has been beaten twice so far in 2018. There's also been quite a few 10 pounders caught this year, and it doesn't get the crazy boat traffic that other central texas lakes get.
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/29/18 08:41 PM

Get on TPWD website and look at the stocking history for each of the lakes. The lakes they stocked with the most fish 1 or 2 years ago should produce the best fish right now.
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/29/18 08:53 PM

Need to go to caddo and get on the frog bite.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/30/18 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca
does stillhouse get crazy with jet flies and such?

Not at all. The pleasure boaters around that area prefer Travis and/or Belton.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Road trip: which of these lakes do you prefer? - 05/30/18 05:05 PM

Good to have you in the neighborhood. You have many lakes to choose from.
But for numbers of bass and good solid fish, I would probably go to Possum Kingdom or Hubbard Creek.
The reason is simple.
These lakes were very low for several years, which allowed the shoreline brush to grow thick and healthy, then the rains came and there have been several years now of great spawns.
Both are fishing excellent, with a lot of 2-4# bass. Some big ones too.
Check them out
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum