Texas Fishing Forum

Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake?

Posted By: dandeeks

Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 01:45 PM

I've been fishing the Lew for the last couple of years. Fun fishing, not tournament fishing. I go every week pretty much.
Both years, I've had incredible difficulty actually visually spotting beds. I know where the areas are ands should be, yet I can never actually see any. For the first time I saw what looked like beds, but not where I expected (rip rap area) and there were no bass there...carp were at the bank doing there thing.

You don't need to give up your secrets on where, I just want to see if I can get some confirmation from others that you can not see the beds. Am I crazy or am I just blind?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 02:23 PM

My totally uneducated guess is that Lewisville has several things going against it for seeing beds.
1.) Lakes without much grass are typically harder to see them
2.) Lakes without that brown sandy bottom are harder to see them
3.) Lakes with significant rocky/gravel areas will allow the bass to spawn on rocks = harder to see
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 03:38 PM

Thanks, I appreciate all the insight I can get.
I've fished the lake for 4 years, but only started frequently the last couple and both years I have never found the beds, nor caught any spawning fish (that I was aware of).

For the most part the lake has been really muddy due to the storms, so I figure that was most of it. But dang, I'm out often, you would think I'd bump into some eventually. I guess I am just wondering if this is the case for all parties out on the lake?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 03:51 PM

Most folks cannot see them even in fairly clear water. I have been on Lew one time in my life. It was not during the spring. It looks like most metroplex lakes, i.e. Not too clear.

I have fished with several hundred folks over the years at Fork when grass was plentiful and the water clarity was really good. I would be looking right at the fish and even with good polarized glasses, most of the folks with me could not see the fish.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 04:37 PM

I have caught or been hit by several bedding bass and haven’t seen one bed this year. Dirty water does that.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 05:05 PM

When I guided out there and fished out there, the water never cleared up much, so I just learned where fish spawned and fished in those areas. Not successful all the time, but caught enough fish to cash several checks. Wish I could tell you more, but if you think there is a bedding bass somewhere, fish it. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 05:24 PM

Tower bay or pecan creek are the only areas is seen several over the years.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Lewisville - Are the spawning beds actually visible on this lake? - 05/07/18 11:25 PM

watched bedding bass yesterday on lewisville. did not see them but saw a bed today.
easier to find after you spook them, not so much easier to catch though. water clarity today with no wind was between 2 and 3 foot, that is about as clean as Lewisville gets when the water is not very cold. I wear strike king S11 in amber for Lewisville. Seems to be the best of the cheap eyewear.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum