Texas Fishing Forum

Caddo Lake

Posted By: Gramps60

Caddo Lake - 05/03/18 04:20 PM

Going to Caddo Lake for first time next weekend. Where do we find the Bass (preferably large ones)? Are any areas of lake better than others?
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/03/18 05:34 PM

I heard the catfish are good.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/03/18 08:44 PM

The bass fishing can be good all over the lake. The salvania has really cleared out so you can go anywhere. Stay in the boat lanes! I don't know where you are launching from but there are some big islands in the middle of lake(big green break and little green break) that always seem to hold fish. Start out around shallower lily pads and work your way back towards deeper water as the day goes on. Keep in mind "deep" on Caddo is like 5' with the exception of the channels/river/under the bridges. June bug brushhogs/white chatterbaits/black frogs or whatever you are confident in.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/03/18 09:14 PM

Good to hear the salvinia is dying back
Posted By: mudd

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/03/18 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
The bass fishing can be good all over the lake. The salvania has really cleared out so you can go anywhere. Stay in the boat lanes! I don't know where you are launching from but there are some big islands in the middle of lake(big green break and little green break) that always seem to hold fish. Start out around shallower lily pads and work your way back towards deeper water as the day goes on. Keep in mind "deep" on Caddo is like 5' with the exception of the channels/river/under the bridges. June bug brushhogs/white chatterbaits/black frogs or whatever you are confident in.

Spot on. My same advice. Make sure u have good line on ur frog also. Then big girls and eating it
Posted By: KeithBurns

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/04/18 01:49 AM

Make sure to fish the isolated duck blinds . They can be absolutely nasty.
Posted By: Yankee Fool

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/04/18 10:26 AM

There are 5-6 great hours of video (MLF) of the pros breaking down Caddo a couple years ago. myoutdoortv.com. $10 a month for access to pretty much every fishing and hunting show in existence. Surprising number were bouncing square bills off the cypress trees. Obviously KVD did great with the jerk bait. Frog fishing and flipping was harder than expected. Of course I think they filmed that in the fall so....
Posted By: hairball

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/04/18 11:33 AM

If you are looking specifically for bigger fish then the trees and duck blinds on the main part of the lake would be the best option. This can be very slow until you run across the right group of trees.

If you get bored with that head up into Big Cypress. To me, the fish are easier to catch up there because they are easier to pattern. I've never caught anything over 5 up there, but it is alot of fun once you figure out what they are doing.

I haven't fished it this year yet so the current is the unknown factor. If it is too high you would probably do better in one of the creeks feeding the bayou.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/04/18 11:51 AM

There is some current on Big Cypress but it’s not bad. Could go to Clinton Lake just off the river and fish it with anything u want. Punch the hydrilla around trees in it and hold on
Posted By: BASS COACH

Re: Caddo Lake - 05/04/18 01:05 PM

Give me a call and I'll be glad to help steer you in the right direction as well. Also you can check out my website for a short fishing report.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum