Texas Fishing Forum

Whats the trick for skipping

Posted By: JavelinJ

Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 01:38 AM

Say you are using a baitcaster and trying to skip docks. How do you keep from getting a back lash when the bait first hits the water?
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 01:41 AM

Good damn question.
I hate fishing docks....but I REALLY hate skipping.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 01:46 AM

Cast harder, no brakes, and use your thumb and a low trajectory.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 01:55 AM

Practice, practice, practice at home on the concrete drive way with just a old jig. A swimming pool is another good place. If it has a diving board get on it to practice your underhand sidearm presentation. Start out with half of a spool of line in 25# test which is more forgiving on back lashes. Then work your way down to smaller line then a little more line on the spool until you have the technique down.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 01:56 AM

Use the right type of bait to learn with. Something that is flat kind of like when you picked out rocks to skip. Make a cast and put some tape on reel then wind it in. Will give yourself less line to be able to backlash. Watch some youtube videos of the pros explaining how. You'll find they'll each have their own way but you'll be able to identify what you aren't doing correctly.
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Watch some youtube videos of the pros explaining how.

I've done some of that. I can't see how this will end well crazy
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 02:15 AM

While you are learning put some scotch tape across you line a good cast down the spool. Thank me later!!!
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 02:51 AM

Additional tip: need fairly calm water to skip. If the waves are rolling, you're gonna struggle.
Posted By: M. Massoletti

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 06:07 AM

Depending on what it is your throwing would probably be better off with a spinning rod.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 11:54 AM

the trick is, get a spinning reel with a short rod.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Yup don’t tighten everything up. Just keep your thumb in the game. And you will have overruns.. it’s part of it
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 12:42 PM

alot of it is the rod. if it is to stiff it wont load up.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 02:28 PM

I would suggest you use a spinning rod. I don't care how good you are at skipping your bait, you will eventually bird nest with a bait caster. Skipping is one of my primary skills. I couldn't find a fish in deep water if you gave me coordinates. (Something I plan to change this year.) So because of that, I primarily fish boat docks.

Other than practice, there is no real way for you to get better. I can tell you that I practiced a lot by trying to skip baits under my truck. Stand a few feet away, get low and practice skipping it under the truck and out the other side. Practice from the side of the truck, and then try length wise. If you can get good at getting it under, across the pavement and out the other side, then you can translate that to the lake. I know many on here will say time on the water, and that is correct, but it can also be very aggravating with lost baits, hooking boats, and patio furniture and all kinds of things until your accuracy improves.

If I had to explain the technique, it is always side arm, so boat positioning is important. Sometimes it is forearm, sometimes it is back hand, but always parallel to the water. Think of it as a golf putt but with a little more force. It's just like when you used to skip rocks when you were a kid.. you had to lean to one side to get down close to the water, remember? (sometimes I even kneel on my bow to get low enough) If done right, the bait will skip across the water, or in some cases just glide over the water to the target.

Also, Your bait should be just a few inches from the tip of the rod, you don't want to have a foot or two of line hanging. Bring the rod back, snap it forward and release the bait. You will have to use a little more force with lower or deeper docks.

And last, I would stay away from skipping baits (at first) where the weight and bait are separated, like a Carolina rig. They tend to tangle. And just remember that there is a ton of [censored] under most docks, so use something with a weed guard or bury your hook.

Wordy, but I hope it helps.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 02:52 PM

Lots of good tips here. It's not a skill that just happens, you gotta work on it. Don't bother if there is any more than a ripple on the water and try the tips mentioned here. Even those who are proficient at it booger a cast up here and there.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 02:58 PM

Lots of practice and patience. But it definitely helps to have a bait that skips easily and the right rod & reel.
Posted By: speedboat

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 03:11 PM

it's a funny thing what resonates with certain people. My lady friend was having a hard time figuring out how to skip under docks and i was having no luck trying to teach her. Then one day we are watching Zona and he had about a 2 minute segment on skipping docks and his basic advise was to use the exact same motion as skipping rocks. Somehow that clicked with her and she immediately was much better at skipping docks. Similar thing happened to me many years ago when i was learning to fly fish. I was having a hard time getting the casting motion down until someone suggested i just mirror the motion of throwing a dart and just like that, i had it down.

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
... booger a cast up here and there...

Never heard booger used that way before but I love it lol...
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 03:34 PM

Remember that skipping is not only for small compact baits. Here is my buddy Justin skipping good sized swimbaits.

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 03:35 PM

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 03:36 PM

Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 03:48 PM

You guys make me laugh , get a six pack of cold long necks , watch Bull Durham , every body is thinking too much ! Just throw it .
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Posted By: Ryno

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 04:16 PM

following along.....what kind of rod?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 04:20 PM

I like a medium heavy with an extra fast tip. 7'-7'6" long depending on what I'm skipping. Typically a jig or swimbait.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 04:57 PM

superglue a biffle bug on a 3/8oz arkie head to start with.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
You guys make me laugh , get a six pack of cold long necks , watch Bull Durham , every body is thinking too much ! Just throw it .

Pretty much.

Being able to skip different baits with different rods is the key here. If you're wanting to get into it like that, just practice skipping with all of your rods that you'd normally fish docks with. Sometimes I want to skip jigs, sometimes chatterbaits, sometimes frogs, sometimes weightless baits, etc. Those are all different rods....
Posted By: buda13

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 06:58 PM

Roll cast, roll cast, and roll cast some more. Once you have mastered the roll cast skipping just about any bait is a breeze. Dont hold back, let her rip!
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 08:32 PM

One dude said not to try skipping a Carolina rig roflmao

I skip Texas rigged worms a lot. I also use a couple of methods to do it. I can do it while pitching or a roll cast or side arm. I like the idea of practicing using your truck to pretend like its a dock, but I don't want to use my truck.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey♂

I skip Texas rigged worms a lot. I also use a couple of methods to do it. I can do it while pitching or a roll cast or side arm. I like the idea of practicing using your truck to pretend like its a dock, but I don't want to use my truck.

I would recommend the OP stay away from a TX rig until you have it down with other baits. One of the hardest things to skip well, IMO.
Posted By: rbspots

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 09:33 PM

This is how we do it in NC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Ukf_vVqTA
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/02/18 09:37 PM

Very good reels

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/08/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey♂

I do recommend that if you are new to skipping, you don't start with a Carolina rig... it will tangle more. Once you get it down I think you can probably throw anything under there...

And you can use my truck lol..
Posted By: BAllen91

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/08/18 03:22 PM

Constant light pressure on the spool with you thumb and practice.
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/08/18 05:01 PM

Swindle has some good youtube videos for this. He's amazing at this.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/08/18 05:01 PM

i find the easiest bait is a frog. i've heard others mention jigs and swimbaits. would those be your top 3 choices for us beginners?
Posted By: Yeagerbombs

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/08/18 10:52 PM

Jigs, chatter baits, and frogs are good starting points. the best tip I was given is don't completely fill your spool, I don't know why it works but it does.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Whats the trick for skipping - 05/09/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: txfour
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Watch some youtube videos of the pros explaining how.

I've done some of that. I can't see how this will end well crazy

Just bought a daiwa goldcast 120 spincast works great so far .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum