Texas Fishing Forum

Joe Pool Questions

Posted By: Rhino68W

Joe Pool Questions - 04/27/18 01:00 PM

Any info on Joe Pool? Heading out there tomorrow morning with a good friend in the kayak for the first time. Targeting largemouth, and not looking to have to paddle too far from whatever ramp/put in spot we use.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/27/18 01:41 PM

I've been catching shallow off points, or shallow off rocks at damn. You can't get to damn, but maybe the rocks off bridges is working, but I haven't tried.
Posted By: aquaholic1822

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/27/18 03:57 PM

If you launch at the state park you can get pretty close to the dam. Wouldnt be a bad paddle
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/27/18 04:24 PM

Submerged timber will get you bit

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/27/18 04:54 PM

I caught this guy down at the damn on Tues in about 3 feet of water. Kind of skinny but long and he fought like heck. He caught it at full cast so he jumped 5-6 times bringing him in.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/27/18 05:23 PM

Be careful of the pleasure boaters.. that place is a madhouse in warmer weather.
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/27/18 07:17 PM

This was the biggest and only one I caught out there last weekend. My partner caught a handful. His biggest was about 4.5.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/28/18 06:34 PM

caught this 6.3 on a weightless fluke in about 3'

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/28/18 08:49 PM

Just won the Saturday tourney there today.

Culled 3 overs .....all were caught on the gravil pits about 200 yards in front of the dam. Watermelon red zoom lizards on a 4 ' leader Carolina rig with a 2ounce tungsten. Very deep. 35-40 ft.

My dinks came from the same rig and a few culled on a whacky rigged 4" senko using a Gama G-Finesse 1/0 hook. Caught my unders on the banks along the cedar hill state park side.

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/28/18 08:57 PM

It was slow last night. Caught 1, missed 1 because the wife called right when it hit, and missed another good one because I suck. I like the Carolina, but sometimes you can get hit and it's hard to tell whether you're just up against a tree branch, or you really get hit until you get it back and see the brush hog blasted. Great presentation for the fish though.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/28/18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg W
It was slow last night. Caught 1, missed 1 because the wife called right when it hit, and missed another good one because I suck. I like the Carolina, but sometimes you can get hit and it's hard to tell whether you're just up against a tree branch, or you really get hit until you get it back and see the brush hog blasted. Great presentation for the fish though.

"Hook sets are free!" They say....lol. But c rigs with $10 weights aren't! Lol. I get nervous when I can't tell if it's a fish, or $10+ going down the drain.

I started using 65lb braid on my c rigs. And a 20lb InvisX leader. This way, I usually only lose 4-5ft of line and a Trokar. The braid is way more sensitive, so it helps you feel the bottom a discern if it's a rock, tree stump, or big girl.

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/28/18 09:16 PM

Yea, I've been using 15lb test on the reel and 10lb floro leader so the leader will break off. I lost 4 hooks last night on tree stumps as I did a lot of sets after missing one. I've been buying the weight parts though for $3 not $10. $10 sounds too high for a weight and some spacers.
Posted By: RPD

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/28/18 10:51 PM

I c-rig at JP 90% of the time, been having good success out there.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/29/18 10:19 AM

We always have a couple of C-rigs ready when fishing Joe Pool. It is a must.

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/29/18 05:53 PM

Other go to for me at Pool is drop shotting. Not now, but once the weather heats up they'll be deeper around structure and drop shot is a must. Either that or C-rig off the points in 20 ft of water. I got a 6.5 lber in March drop shotting on 8lb test. Fun fish.

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/29/18 05:53 PM

Other go to for me at Pool is drop shotting. Not now, but once the weather heats up they'll be deeper around structure and drop shot is a must. Either that or C-rig off the points in 20 ft of water. I got a 6.5 lber in March drop shotting on 8lb test. Fun fish.
Posted By: RPD

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/29/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg W

+1

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/29/18 08:34 PM

I have a 20ft center console at Lynn Creek. My work is pretty hectic so I tend to grab 2 hours when I can get them. If anyone wants to fish sometime, the wife is in Europe the next 2 weeks so I'll have evenings free. Just PM me. Not a bass boat, but pretty easy to fish out of as you get older and still will hit 50 on a still day.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/29/18 11:14 PM

got out there this morning.. fished out of Loyd Park.. I like the point at the mouth of that creek.. downstream side.. first bite on a chatterbait.. 5lber jumped off.. *&@#!@ swung around and fished it again with a DT10.. got an nice 3lber.. I had a decent day but would have liked to have that first one. Shad Spawn is going on early.. lots of herons along the bank.

tight lines
BD
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Joe Pool Questions - 04/29/18 11:40 PM

They stocked bass on the Oasis side a couple of years ago.
The bass hung around that area
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum