Texas Fishing Forum

Skipping docks

Posted By: npl_texas

Skipping docks - 04/26/18 01:21 AM

Anyone ever make a cast and put some electrical tape on the line when skipping? I’m working on it but fluoro is expensive and I’m going through it getting bird nests.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 01:58 AM

If you are learning, definitely use the tape trick. Better to learn where there aren't any waves and a lot of clearance.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 02:01 AM

Change to a rod with braid while you learn

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

Is it easier to skip with braid?
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 02:43 AM

20lb mono on a Heavy Fast or MH Fast and 3/8ths or 1/2oz jig and when you have that down switch to fluoro

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: npl_texas
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

Is it easier to skip with braid?

I think it's easier.
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 03:54 AM

A calm day and try to go to a boat dock lake when the water is down a foot or two.. gives you more clearance and room to practice then when the water comes up you got it down
Posted By: LunkerXpress

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 07:48 AM

Practice at home too. Get a jig you don't care if it takes a beating and skip it down the driveway. It's not a whole lot unlike the water. That's how I got proficient enough to skip under the docks around Conroe.
Posted By: n_texas_basser

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 11:19 AM

Don't use flouo, at least when learning, I find co-polymer is more friendly. Also, don't fill your spool all the way to the top. It still takes me some time to get the knack for it every time I want to skip, just because I don't do it enough.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 11:52 AM

Practice and Patience
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 01:02 PM

I got the opportunity once to fish an Open with Todd Castledine on Lew. It was absolutely amazing how that dude could skip docks. I just sat there in awe and watched. He was using a spinning reel with light braid. I still wake up with hot flashes thinking about that day.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 01:44 PM

Posted By: CowboyVet

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 02:03 PM

It also helps to ill the spool only half way until you get the habg of it. The main thing that helped me was using a rod with a good tip.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
If you are learning, definitely use the tape trick. Better to learn where there aren't any waves and a lot of clearance.

Can you explain this tape trick?

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
Originally Posted By: Brent S

Can you explain this tape trick?

Make a cast, take a small piece of tape, tape down the string in your spool. That way if you mess up and backlash it won't go beyond the tape.

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: CowboyVet
It also helps to ill the spool only half way until you get the habg of it. The main thing that helped me was using a rod with a good tip.

I have been using a GLX 853 but I had a Tatula (I think it was made for drop shots or shakey heads) that had a crazy good tip but I sold it. That was perfect. Aldebaran is the reel.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 07:44 PM

Best practice I've found is from the diving board at a swimming pool. It's basically like the deck of a boat.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Skipping docks - 04/26/18 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
I got the opportunity once to fish an Open with Todd Castledine on Lew. It was absolutely amazing how that dude could skip docks. I just sat there in awe and watched. He was using a spinning reel with light braid. I still wake up with hot flashes thinking about that day.

I fished with him on Rayburn and NAC, man that dude can skip anything under docks.
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: Skipping docks - 04/27/18 12:29 AM

Good info
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum