Texas Fishing Forum

Outboard safety chain

Posted By: slim 285

Outboard safety chain - 04/25/18 11:42 PM

I think if you was to ever need it would be worth thousands . I have heard of a few motors being knocked off and end up in the boat with you. Is anybody using a motor safety chain ? And what does everybody think of these.
https://theleash.net/
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/25/18 11:59 PM

There is no way to know if it really works. I think it's a gimmick
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 12:39 AM

over the years,I've known of two anglers that were badly injured when a motor flipped into the boat...I ' don't know if it's a gimmick or not but am pretty sure anything you stretched across the rear of the boat would help keep the engine from flipping up into the boat...
also believe you could make one of these out of a piece of cable and attach it to the tie downs on either side of the engine....
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 02:18 AM

Plenty of talk about it in BBC.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 03:11 AM

I have one. Not sure if it's a gimmick or not but better than nothing. Hopefully I will never find out. It's like insurance.....you hope you never need it and you hope it's there when you do need it.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 12:45 PM

I have one it came on my boat from Rex Chambers, he hit a stump and the motor flipped up on the deck and was wide open spinning around on there taking a chunk out of his leg and hitting his partner in the head. google it...

haha I followed the link to the leash and watched the video and theres a pic of my boat behind my rv when I picked it up..
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 01:58 PM

Seems like a good idea.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 03:01 PM

Wow I had no ideas those things were tree-fiddy a piece. No way.
Posted By: Starkfishes

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 03:04 PM

I just ordered one. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea these things existed. Seems like a cheap insurance policy to me.

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Wow I had no ideas those things were tree-fiddy a piece. No way.

Originally Posted By: Starkfishes
I just ordered one. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea these things existed. Seems like a cheap insurance policy to me.

Interesting how far opposite opinions can go.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 05:23 PM

I dont want a 250hp engine running 10k rpms possibly flopping around on back of my boat or on my back deck. I would rather it just go down and I file my insurance claim.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 05:59 PM

Think I'm gonna order one as well.
Posted By: daman

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man
I dont want a 250hp engine running 10k rpms possibly flopping around on back of my boat or on my back deck. I would rather it just go down and I file my insurance claim.
The idea is if it's attached to boat or jack plate it stays in one place...if it comes off without cable it can end up on deck or your lap running
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 06:53 PM

I like the idea...my lil motor and jackplate is not on the list.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: daman
The idea is if it's attached to boat or jack plate it stays in one place...if it comes off without cable it can end up on deck or your lap running

Ok.....just so I'll know....

If you hit something hard enough to rip the HUGE bolts off the transom, or the jackplate, a cable is gonna save it?

I thought was what the "other" cables going to the motor were for. Ha!

I don't buy into it. I figure my Skeeter has an aluminum reinforced transom that runs up through the hull....if I tear something up that bad..it's simply a really bad day.

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 07:20 PM

Um well thats exactly where your engine will end up... on your deck the tether keeps it much further back/likely forcing it to fall off the back.

We all have insurance, you cant insure your life or the damage the spinning prop will do to you. When it is pulled out away from the boat it goes to wide open throttle not off throttle.

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: daman

Ok.....just so I'll know....

If you hit something hard enough to rip the HUGE bolts off the transom, or the jackplate, a cable is gonna save it?

I thought was what the "other" cables going to the motor were for. Ha!

I don't buy into it. I figure my Skeeter has an aluminum reinforced transom that runs up through the hull....if I tear something up that bad..it's simply a really bad day.

The leash is not cable it is synthetic rope like winch rope doubled over, which should exceed 20,000 lbs.

Have any of you clicked on the linky and seen where motors break?

Rex's broke at the casting of the mount, bolts were tight and it broke and ended up on the deck running and going around and around. So if the casting breaks it has zero to do with your boat.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 07:59 PM

I just bought one myself. I have a 10 year old son that fishes with me a lot. Small price to pay for his added safety. I would like to see these boat builders install a kill switch on the motor that would trip if the motor is elevated to a certain degree. I might see if I could make one myself. Can’t be that difficult.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
I just bought one myself. I have a 10 year old son that fishes with me a lot. Small price to pay for his added safety. I would like to see these boat builders install a kill switch on the motor that would trip if the motor is elevated to a certain degree. I might see if I could make one myself. Can’t be that difficult.

I would think a Mercury switch like they have on some of the mud motors would work with a little tweaking. My motor won't start in a down position so I would think there would be a way to make it work the opposite but I'm sure no engineer.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 09:25 PM

What motor you got running 10k RPMs?
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

A Blown one
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 10:25 PM

I realize this could happen to anyone, but, how often are we driving big fiberglass boats around, and not know what your running over?

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Jumpin J
I realize this could happen to anyone, but, how often are we driving big fiberglass boats around, and not know what your running over?

All the time. By the time you see it on sonar it’s too late.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/26/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jumpin J

You don't want to see the places i run

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/27/18 01:28 PM

I went over a telephone pole at 60 within my first 3 outings as a new boat owner back in the day. On the calif delta.. luckily I am a quick thinker, I saw it and let off then realized that would for sure be a hole in my boat so floored it again over the top, thats when I learned the motors can flop up hit the deck and go back down. I was looking back expecting to watch the motor go trailing off behind us.

Not sure Id buy the leash but I have one and can see the benefits it would have had in the 10-12 known at speed stump incidents etc.
Posted By: stapler101

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/27/18 01:52 PM

I love to see any product endorsed by any athlete, actor, or, in the case of TheLeash, pro fisherman.
Of course they run and endorse the product they are using! They are paid big bucks to tell us how great the product is.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/27/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service

A Blown one

Pretty sure he meant a motor running wide open throttle laying on the back deck,,,, 10,000 rpm out of the water is probably pretty close to what you would have, for a little while. Plenty long enough to get ahold of the passengers. It's a great concept, probably grossly overpriced but what isn't nowadays. I saw the results of an outboard flopping around on a back deck, a nice guy missing an arm.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Outboard safety chain - 04/27/18 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service

A Blown one
If one comes out of the water at wide open throttle I promise you it will sound like 10k rpm.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum