Texas Fishing Forum

Spring 2018

Posted By: DNewt

Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 03:52 AM

Well,my horrible spring just keeps getting better. Holbrook,unload the boat and decide I'll just use the trolling motor to get to dock, I pull string and it breaks, I fall and land on passenger windshield, which broke into approximately 4-18 pieces some of which go in the lake. Big motor not even started yet, 5 minutes in everything's looking real good. Go fishing, well that whole trolling motor string breaking issue came up real quick. Was able to use pliers and make it work but, but severe pain in the rear. Mess around for couple hours then decide to load up and head to Fork. Fork, I unload, which thanks to the gentleman that backed me in and brought me the keys as well,now the big motor wont stay running?? Mess with it for a while and fuel bubble is not holding pressure so figure I'll just stay close to ramp and fish. Do that for next couple hours, it is getting late so i head back in and the switch on trolling motor sticks, only runs in high gear now and wont turn off unless I kill power switch. In between all this?? NOT A BITE! I may have some stuff for sale soon because between problems and apparently forgetting how to fish this year has been one for the ages let me tell you!! eek2
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 04:11 AM

Man I feel for you. I've had that kind of day a time or three...
Posted By: basshc

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 10:40 AM

Well shoot.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 11:50 AM

Good news: can only get better after that! thumb
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 12:09 PM

well let me know what you got for sale... I am looking for a cranking rod breakdance
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 12:21 PM

Never give up. I believe we have heard that before. Ha... You have the passion to get past the problems of the day. Take those problems one at a time for the fix. All things shall pass.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V

I've had more days like that than I'd like to admit. 361V is right! Keep your head up!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 12:34 PM

I feel your pain , I continue to have days like that , but it’s all good when you do have a good day .
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 12:48 PM

Sorry Fella!!! B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand. It's oh so true. Makes you want to quit fishing for about 24 hours, then you are ready to hit it again. :-)
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 12:57 PM

I know the feeling.. expect all of my stuff is house, vehicle, or family related...
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 02:22 PM

My wife and I were talking about our dreams the other day...Mine was a home, cars and boat with Nothing To Fix and no projects with plenty of time to fish and hunt and spend time with my family. I feel your pain brother, something to fix after just about every trip on my old boat. BTW if you want a cheap way to fix that trolling motor cord, Home Depot sells the coated cable by the foot and crimps to go with it. You can make one of those fancy cable pulls people spend $40 on for about $7.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 07:29 PM

I’ve been catching fish in a place where I can just fish from the bank so I haven’t even put the boat in the water lately and probably won’t until that spot dies.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXfisher91
well let me know what you got for sale... I am looking for a cranking rod breakdance
roflmao

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/17/18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXfisher91
Apparently they don't work so buyer beware
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 12:07 AM

Kinda makes you want to go in debt for a new rig doesn't it. realmad
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 12:18 AM

I remember a long time ago someone saying - “... if bass fishing was fun everyone would want to do it”. crazy
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 01:23 AM

I use a ski rope for the trolling motor pull string. It has worked for 3 seasons. I need to change it now that I talked about it. It was free, or at least I already had it . I had a similar experience the day it broke. Paid my tournament fee and went to ramp, boat won't start. Pull off ramp and yank on cord, snap. What a pain. I did not cash a check.
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 02:02 AM

In my experience when you get to the lake and everything bad happens, it's just time to load up and head home. I never catch fish when bad things happen!
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 02:13 AM

Ah, boat ownership...
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 02:32 AM

Those that know me know what I have to say:
"In Order to Catch Big Fish.. Sometimes you Gotta Suffer"
I'll give you some examples...
Boat Issues
Relationships
Finances
Sleep
Comfort
there are more.
Hang in There DNewt.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 03:34 AM

Hang in there DNewt. Next time will be better!

Come to lunch on May 4th and I'll buy you a cheeseburger.
Posted By: Ranger Ed

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 02:07 PM

Any day fishing is still better than a day behind the desk !
And, I hear that any day you fish doesn't count against your total number of days here !!!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Spring 2018 - 04/18/18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger Ed
Any day fishing is still better than a day behind the desk !
And, I hear that any day you fish doesn't count against your total number of days here !!!

Spring sucks this year for me also

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/13/18 08:29 PM

Back up and running as of 6/9 just in time for that good summer bite LOL. New fuel lines, rebuilt fuel pump and spark plugs did the trick on the Mercury. Picked up a used trolling motor off of Facebook marketplace for $200, guy got desperate I guess.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/13/18 08:53 PM

I feel for you. My boat has been dry docked since February 8th. Hit a stump on Welsh and broke the motor mounts (hydraulic steering also started leaking but I don't think was from the "accident") and put a few holes in the hull. Fixed the motor mounts but decided I wanted a "gorilla" hull put on by Toledo Fiberglass. Waiting list was a mile long. Just got the boat in a week ago. Won't get it back for a few more weeks.

Was my decision to wait for the "gorilla" hull. Lifetime (life of the boat) guarantee it will not leak.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/13/18 11:19 PM

We've all had those days or at least I have. More than a few. Fishing still beats work by a long shot.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/14/18 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V

+1
Posted By: redraider4life

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/14/18 01:23 PM

Well at least you did not break any bones when you fell into the windshield..I'm on day #18 of broken ribs and bruised lung from a fall out there on the same lake...it's hard to set the hook! You will go out and smash on em soon.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/14/18 02:07 PM

This pain is real.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/14/18 02:23 PM

I had a few days like that, and other days where it seems I can't catch a fish to save my life and I start pondering selling everything. Just this year was moving between two spots and got on plane and the motor decelerated to stay under 1000 RPMs. Had to idle a long way back to ramp. Took boat in, 1500 dollars and a month later and finally got back on the water. Constant fight with marine place to get status on repairs.

All in all, gotta go thru tough times to get to the good times. Ups and down, part of life. Hang in there.
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: Spring 2018 - 06/15/18 05:58 PM

I know your pain. I went out friday morning to prefish Fork before the SOT. I had a good friend with me from college and we were going to fish together for the day and just hang out. I pulled up to the spot I was going to start, came off plain, and my motor stalled out. I tried to crank it again but the fly wheel wouldn't turn. I used the trolling motor to cut across the boat lane, I just knew that we would be ran over, to some people who were also prefishing and thankfully they towed me back in. I took it to the Yamaha tent to find out that my lower unit had seized and it was an after market part and they wouldn't/couldn't fix it. SO, I was unable to fish in my own boat for this tourney. I did fish with my BIL in his boat though.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum