Texas Fishing Forum

cold front

Posted By: coachmatt

cold front - 04/09/18 02:01 PM

With the cold front pushing in this weekend, how do you think it will affect the bass? will they push out to deep water, hold around docks, or stay up shallow if they are spawning?
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: cold front - 04/09/18 03:58 PM

Its hard to say, and it seems like it varies lake to lake. But I think if fish are up spawning shallow, they aren't going to run out deep because of a day or two of colder weather. I think it makes it tougher but you can still catch em. I was impressed with some of the fish I saw caught this past weekend despite a much worse cold front thank it looks like will be this weekend. If I could fish this weekend, I would.

Re: cold front - 04/09/18 05:17 PM

would using a lighter weight and downsizing baits be the best way to go?
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: cold front - 04/09/18 06:17 PM

Yea downsizing and slowing down is probably what I would do

Re: cold front - 04/10/18 12:05 PM

I am also assuming it would kill any topwater bite?
Posted By: 361V

Re: cold front - 04/10/18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: coachmatt
Maybe but thinking outside the box often will surprise you! wink
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: cold front - 04/10/18 03:12 PM

The water temps did not fall drastically. They should be right back at it by today or tommorrow. They will be feeding like nothing happened.

Re: cold front - 04/11/18 08:38 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but with another cold front coming in on Friday, that should drop the temp again correct? Just curious if I should spend anytime throwing a topwater? Thoughts?
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: cold front - 04/11/18 09:09 PM

Why not?
I'll have one tied on and will throw it to see if it will get a bite or two this weekend.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: cold front - 04/12/18 02:51 AM

We caught a ton today up shallow. Stopped counting at mid day.cauvht fish from time we launched till we loaded. Aggressive bite and lots of fun.

Re: cold front - 04/12/18 08:24 PM

speaking of cold fronts the wind looks crazy! Bass club classic this weekend should be fun
Posted By: catslayer

Re: cold front - 04/12/18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: coachmatt

Doubt it...
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: cold front - 04/13/18 03:47 PM

I seem to have great luck in Spring when a cold front moves in. Last weekend temps dropped 35 degrees here in OK, but still managed to get a 7lber on a square bill along a rocky bank. Caught 14 for the day. When I fished Ray Roberts regularly, day after a cold front produced a big fish on several occasions. Caught an 8lber one year right after it went from 70 to 45 degrees flipping a brush hog at the stumps in a spawning flat. It is going from 80 to 40 here tonight, so will see what it does to them over the next 2 days provided it is not too windy to get out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum