Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN

Posted By: BUbass903

Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 01:21 PM

Later this month I will be in Memphis TN for a few days. I have a free day so I am trying to figure out a good place to go fishing? Preferably with a guide because I won't have a boat or any of my equipment with me. Is anybody familiar with the Memphis area? Any recommendations on places to fish? I have done some internet scouting and I can't find anything that tempting within an hour or so. I am considering Pickwick Lake about 2 hours away. It looks like they are crushing the smallmouth there currently. Jordan Lee posted a picture yesterday of some nice smallmouth from fishing with a guide on Pickwick.

I will also take recommendations on BBQ joints!

Thanks for the help!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 01:34 PM

I was going to recommend Pickwick. Worth the drive and you'll quickly realize it's not a Texas lake like we are used to fishing.
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 01:57 PM

Go to Pickwick but get a guide. Unlike anything in Texas.

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 02:34 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. Do you have a guide you would recommend?
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 02:48 PM

No sir.
We carried our boat when we went last summer. Had a ball, fished with a style and technique (Deep ledges) that we never had or would have done and managed close to 100 fish in 4 days. You could catch as many as you wanted in the "shallow" water but keepers were hard to come by.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 04:12 PM

Born and raised in Memphis! I highly suggest you make the trip to Pickwick. It's about a 1 hr 45 minute drive, but it's worth it. It's your best bet for the area. Pickwick is a very underrated lake and often overshadowed by Kentucky Lake, Chickamauga Lake, and Guntersville Lake. Good fishing all over the lake but the best is near the Wilson Dam. If you're an offshore enthusiast, Pickwick is for you. Roger Stegall is a great guide for the lake if you're interested. Also, if you get a chance, go eat some BBQ! Memphis is the pork BBQ capital of the world. Corky's, Rendezvous, and Central BBQ are the best places.

PM me for more info about Memphis if you want.

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 06:55 PM

Thanks for the tips. It confirms what I had been thinking both on the fishing side and the BBQ side. We will be staying at the Peabody so Rendezvous if right there.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BUbass903
Thanks for the tips. It confirms what I had been thinking both on the fishing side and the BBQ side. We will be staying at the Peabody so Rendezvous if right there.

The Peabody is a nice hotel. And yes, you might as well go to the Rendezvous. Enjoy your trip!
Posted By: texasangler07

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/06/18 10:51 PM

Man I love Memphis. Grew up going there every summer for a couple weeks at a time. You have to check out the Bass Pro Shop in the Pyramid. It is awesome!
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/07/18 12:44 AM

Rendezvous has gone way downhill in the last few years. Central’s food is good but the place is small and gets really crowded. My favorite is Corky’s, their ribs are exceptional along with the pulled pork and sausage. Can’t go wrong with Corky’s. Next favorite would be The Commisary, their smoked wings are awesome.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/07/18 01:44 AM

Grew up in Memphis also, Agree with Pickwick, Corky's, Rendezvous. Since your staying at the Peabody, make your pants go crazy by watching the ducks go up and come down out of the elevator! banana Be in by dark! duel

P.S Bass Pro is Ok, kinda different, but nothing special unless you go to the top.
If you see Elvis, take a pic!
Posted By: zenmic

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/07/18 04:16 AM

Rendezvous is my favorite for ribs. It has been over 10 years since I was there. For a batch of muddy ribs, then I like Pig-N-Whistle. I say Central over Corky's.
Posted By: boeing driver

Re: Bass Fishing Near Memphis TN - 04/07/18 01:40 PM

Born and raised in Memphis. I fish nearly every day. Feel free to pm. You’re more than welcome to tag along. Got a 21 acre lake at my home, 2 good lakes within an hour, or we can drag the Queen Mary to Pickwick for ??? days.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum