Texas Fishing Forum

Shad spawn

Posted By: coachmatt

Shad spawn - 04/06/18 03:26 AM

At what water temp does the shad spawn usually occur? Isn't it usually around 75 degrees?
Posted By: ML56

Re: Shad spawn - 04/06/18 03:41 AM

My experience has been it starts when water temps get to about 70 degrees at daylight. should be going on about now all over in Texas. Not seeing much on Somerville , I think due to 3' rise and algae they like to spawn in, is 3' under surface water.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Shad spawn - 04/06/18 11:32 AM

^^^disagree

Last year the shad spawn started around late April, at least in my area, in DFW. If the shad spawn is water temp related then it is likely to be later than it was last year. Main lake temps in the low 60’s still.
Posted By: Taylored

Re: Shad spawn - 04/06/18 12:49 PM

Shad were spawning at a small local lake last Saturday. The highest water temp I found was 68 degrees.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Shad spawn - 04/06/18 12:57 PM

I think it's started just wasn't full bloom yet as of last weekend. I haven't been anywhere this week to see the progress and with the forecast may not get to this weekend. It should hit just right for spawning fish and then have the bream spawn right behind it.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Shad spawn - 04/06/18 01:46 PM

I always thought a good way to predict the shad spawn is the first full moon after the bass spawn.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Shad spawn - 04/06/18 02:33 PM

Its happening
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Shad spawn - 04/06/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DEFMP
I always thought a good way to predict the shad spawn is the first full moon after the bass spawn.

I think this last moon pulled a bunch up. Lots of gizzard shad flipping in creeks at Fork last weekend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum