Texas Fishing Forum

winn grip vs cork vs foam

Posted By: dimitri

winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 03:19 PM

been looking to replace a bunch of ducketts and am noticing quite a few rods with the winn grips in that price range. i don’t play golf so i have never come into contact with the grips themselves except at academy sports when i held one minus a reel. in theory i could see where you would benefit if they were wet but i would think with rubber being denser than cork or foam you would be losing some of the sensitivity of the later two. anybody fishing with the winn grips and if so how are you liking them? pros and cons ? do you feel you give up anything by using them?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 03:36 PM

I haven't fished with any of the golf grip rods but I have a mix of foam and cork. I'm indifferent. As long as it's not slippery...
Posted By: stratos caster

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 04:31 PM

I like them. I think most of your feel is with your hand on the reel seat.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 04:52 PM

Cork
Posted By: Brent S

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 04:55 PM

I like the winn grips
Posted By: SAKS

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 05:07 PM

I would switch all my rods to Winn grips if I could.
Posted By: Chet

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 05:11 PM

If you're after Pork stick with cork............
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 08:08 PM

The winn grips are great, I prefer them hands down over cork..... BUT there is for sure more feel with cork. Cork bites feel like hammers if you have good dense cork handles. So I have cork on most of my non moving rods.

I use fx customs rods their angler line... super light rods and pretty nice.

https://www.fxcustomrods.com/
Posted By: Gingerbread Man

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 08:16 PM

I have Winn grips on all my golf clubs and love them because they provide good grip and reduce vibrations in the club handle.
I tried one of my buddies fishing rods with the Winn grips and my experience was that the rod lost a great deal of sensitivity when compared to cork or even foam. I would actually use no grip at all on my fishing rods to increase the sensitivity if I could...so no Winn grips on fishing rods for me as I want the most sensitivity I can get on my fishing rod. If you're not concerned with sensitivity on your rods than the Winn grips are probably fine.
Posted By: daddystog

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 08:41 PM

Winn Grips on my Heavy Flipping Rod and a 6' 10" MH I use for lighter soft plastic fishing and I haven't noticed any lost of sensitivity, might be the way I hold a baitcaster
I've always fished with my index finger touching the line in front of the reel and the second finger touching the blank in front of the reel set
I'm loving the Winn Grips because of the grip even when my hands are wet
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/04/18 09:38 PM

Cork, cork and more cork. All I've ever known.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 01:43 AM

I only have three fingers on my left hand that work so rod handle grips are important to me. I own a lot of the Cashion John Crew models, and the Reel Time rods from the rod builder at Pope's Landing. I really like these rods, and I can't tell any difference in sensitivity.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 01:46 AM

It pains me to see cork handles slowly fading away, I can’t stand eva foam.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 02:21 AM

Cork
EVA
Winn

In that order. I have zero use for Winn Grip handles on a fishing rod.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 02:29 AM

I have all 3 of those grips on different rods.. One of my Sarge Custom rods has cork, my Billystix custom has Winn (just got it a few weeks ago), and a few of my Waterloo rods have EVA.

1- Cork
2- Winn
3- EVA

I don't dislike any of them.. I could fish with either all day. However, I just prefer a good ole split grip cork handle. The Winn grips are VERY nice though! Took a little getting used to, but I love them now. The EVA is good too, just dirt/grime/slime stick to it easier.

Cork handle for the "Winn"! (pun intended)
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
It pains me to see cork handles slowly fading away, I can’t stand eva foam.

Agreed, always prefer cork to all other grips.
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 03:24 AM

winn grips get really gross especially the white ones on lews rods.

Cork and foam are better imo
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 04:09 AM

The cork on my treasured All Star WR1's was getting bad. I watched Russ Lane's video on retro fitting Winn Grips. After doing it, I can't tell a difference in sensitivity & absolutely love them. They will get dirty so I clean them with a wet rag every 3 outings or so.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: winn grip vs cork vs foam - 04/05/18 06:34 AM

Cork on fishing poles, winn on golf clubs, eva to wipe on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum