Texas Fishing Forum

Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question.

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 04:59 PM

On lakes like Bachman or White Rock or even the Vine, ones with rowing clubs. You know those long boats filled with people who row those 20 foot long oars while a guy with a mega phone yells at them to "Push through with your legs!!", "Feel the water under while you stroke!!", "Ok girls almost there, feel that burn and bring it home strong!" etc.

If I am wanting to fish some open water anchored up in my kayak, do they have a lane or right of away that I need to stay out of? Or should they be able to make slight course adjustment and avoid my position?

Are there rules on this for WRL or Bachman?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 05:08 PM

Everybody knows that they (the rowers) own the water on those lakes
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 05:11 PM

Stand your ground.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 05:54 PM

Sorry I can't help you with your question but "wow" you have that chant down. My personal opinion is that you would have as much right to be there but there is probably some understanding on the lake that they row through that area so they are given right of way. Especially since they go in a straight line pretty fast.
Posted By: Stikslinger

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 06:29 PM

Call your local Parks and Wildlife or Game Warden and ask them about the lanes. Always best to go into a fight with a loaded gun.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Stikslinger
Call your local Parks and Wildlife or Game Warden and ask them about the lanes. Always best to go into a fight with a loaded gun.

What he said they don’t own the water.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 06:52 PM

Public water is just that PUBLIC. Your just as intended to be there as they are. Buy like stated, call GW and get verification from the ones enforcing the laws.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 07:22 PM

I believe a power boat has to give way to a rowed boat if underway. I don't think that you have to move if not under power or anchored up. Unless there is an official marked course and the lake patrol or game warden says that water is closed to all other boat traffic.
If that is not the cas tell them to take their little yankee boats back to Harvard and Yale and row there.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 07:43 PM

Or...since you are in a very mobile kayak you could just move for a second, let them pass, and go back to fishing.

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 07:55 PM

I believe he is thinking about anchoring on a spot

I experienced this on Bachman. Anchored off one of the two good points on the lake
The rowers row with their backs facing the direction they are heading
Blew my whistle loudly multiple times as they approached and they just barely adjusted their path in time, just grazed my kayak. Could have been a bad outcome (they don’t wear or carry floatation on board)
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 07:56 PM

wopics of the rowing girls. roflmao
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 09:11 PM

Just do like all the other BA's on here, when they get close chunk a football jig at them as a warning.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
Or...since you are in a very mobile kayak you could just move for a second, let them pass, and go back to fishing.

He said anchored up. In that case, if I was on fish, I probably wouldn't move.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 09:40 PM

Pretty sure the boat under power is the giveaway boat, but I would not trust that the other party knows this. If I were a yaker I would make sure I was out of the way.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 09:47 PM

Knowing that lake if you make an issue of it they will simply ban kayaks.
Posted By: SuperSpookJr

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 10:38 PM

I fish Ladybird Lake in downtown Austin out of my kayak. It's home to races, practices, and timed trials for rowing crews. It also gets a fair amount of kayak and bass boat (trolling motor only) pressure. Since the lake is long and narrow, it gets crowded. No one owns the water, but the way it should work is the fishermen get 10-15 yards of water toward each bank, and the rowing crews take the middle. There are some obvious things that shouldn't be done, like anchoring up in the middle of a bridge span. The rowing crews are quite vocal about alerting kayaks, canoes, and paddleboarders that they're underway and to stay clear of their (imaginary) lanes. The problem manifests itself mostly at dawn, in low light conditions when the recreational kayaks, canoes, and paddleboarders are off the water. The rowers like to go three and four wide at such times, and that makes the edges very crowded, especially as that's the best time for fishing and when you're focused on fish, it's hard to stay focused on not being broadsided by a rowing vessel. Somehow, it all works out. I've had lots of close calls and near misses. It helps to have your head on a swivel and a whistle handy. Sometimes they simply are so focused on their rhythm that they don't watch where they're going. I've seen some epic collisions - one that took a chunk out of a bassboat's polycoat and dumped several rowers. It wasn't a happy scene. Mostly, though, both sides watch out for each other. Kayaks are way more nimble and should endeavor to clear out of the rower's way, but the rowers also should be aware that they can't expect to take up the entire width of the BOW.

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: John175®

So how many times have you kayak fished the White Rock or Bachman?

I mean, you know it and all.

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/02/18 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SuperSpookJr
I fish Ladybird Lake in downtown Austin out of my kayak. It's home to races, practices, and timed trials for rowing crews. It also gets a fair amount of kayak and bass boat (trolling motor only) pressure. Since the lake is long and narrow, it gets crowded. No one owns the water, but the way it should work is the fishermen get 10-15 yards of water toward each bank, and the rowing crews take the middle. There are some obvious things that shouldn't be done, like anchoring up in the middle of a bridge span. The rowing crews are quite vocal about alerting kayaks, canoes, and paddleboarders that they're underway and to stay clear of their (imaginary) lanes. The problem manifests itself mostly at dawn, in low light conditions when the recreational kayaks, canoes, and paddleboarders are off the water. The rowers like to go three and four wide at such times, and that makes the edges very crowded, especially as that's the best time for fishing and when you're focused on fish, it's hard to stay focused on not being broadsided by a rowing vessel. Somehow, it all works out. I've had lots of close calls and near misses. It helps to have your head on a swivel and a whistle handy. Sometimes they simply are so focused on their rhythm that they don't watch where they're going. I've seen some epic collisions - one that took a chunk out of a bassboat's polycoat and dumped several rowers. It wasn't a happy scene. Mostly, though, both sides watch out for each other. Kayaks are way more nimble and should endeavor to clear out of the rower's way, but the rowers also should be aware that they can't expect to take up the entire width of the BOW.

Thanks thats good info.

Its hard to tell from distance their exact line or path. One time I tried to get out of their way and only moved into their path. One time I held steady and they came right into me.

And a Jackson Big Rig is not super nimble or fast ha ha.
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 02:39 AM

But they have 20 oars to a kayakers one oar, I would say the 20 oar boat is more under power than a single guy paddling
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I believe he is thinking about anchoring on a spot

I experienced this on Bachman. Anchored off one of the two good points on the lake
The rowers row with their backs facing the direction they are heading
Blew my whistle loudly multiple times as they approached and they just barely adjusted their path in time, just grazed my kayak. Could have been a bad outcome (they don’t wear or carry floatation on board)

you can walk across bachman lol
Posted By: Larry M

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 05:11 AM

I yaked for years and still have my Gen 1 Hobie Mirage Drive (ya thats how old I am) and if not for a bad back I would more. I boated more fish from my yak than a boat. But you have to play it safe. I never anchored close to a boat lane but make no mistake if some jack wagon tried treading my water in a yak I let it be known back off. And if he was acting crazing with my wife in her yak he better be ready to throw dowm.

One of my Modo's is this (iam surrounded by idiots) except when my wife is with me.

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 11:41 AM

Not anchoring in or near any boat lanes
They usually just go back and forth in the middle

With my experience, sometimes they decide to go around the perimeter (maybe if they have some beginners in the row boat ?)

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Not anchoring in or near any boat lanes
They usually just go back and forth in the middle

With my experience, sometimes they decide to go around the perimeter (maybe if they have some beginners in the row boat ?)

I went to the rowing clubs website they have maps of the "trails" they are to follow on WRL. The perimeter trail goes around the lake about 20 yards offshore in a counter clockwise direction.

Then there are 3 "straightaway" lanes for shorter bursts of speed or for racing.

You can see their map here http://www.whiterockrowing.org/water-safety Go to the bottom of the page and download the PDF.

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 12:29 PM

Epic fight; a skuller and a yakker

Posted By: boocat

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 12:38 PM

I didn't read all the responses, I'm sure somebody had the right answer. Since you asked the question, I will add that a Chapman's Manual is a great book.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 04/03/18 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

So how many times have you kayak fished the White Rock or Bachman?

I mean, you know it and all.

Aggressive today Dan?

That lake will make rules to defend the rowers and sailboats.

In both cases your are the more mobile craft on the water.

Don't think so? Push the issue. BTW...I own a boat. Don't need a kayak.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/03/18 05:24 PM

yep
Posted By: Mjaye

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/04/18 01:33 AM

general navigational rule state

Non-powered craft including sailboats, canoes, paddleboats, sailboards and racing shells generally have the right-of-way over power-driven pleasure craft.
An Emergency water craft - 1
a boat on anchor. 2
Non power boat Sail or paddle - 3
Power boat - (trolling motor is a powered boat). I asked GW.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/04/18 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1

^^^

i don't know the true legal answer, but don't be a jack-azz.
how much could rowers really interfere with fishing?
between mem day and labor day we all have to deal with rec boaters, its just part of it.

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/04/18 01:49 AM

Drop trou and helicopter them
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/04/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Drop trou and helicopter them

lol, always an option!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/04/18 03:17 AM

Just move
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/04/18 09:56 AM

Whoever is there, first, owns that water. Those long rowboats will need to adjust their course if they happen to come up on you. Keep 1oz sinkers handy just in case things get awry.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/05/18 02:56 PM

whoever is there first owns the water except at lake fork.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/05/18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
Stand your ground.

This. Texas is a stand your ground state.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Right of Way vs. Right to fish??? I have a question. - 05/05/18 07:53 PM

If you wouldn't wear that Dodgers hat people might not try to run over you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum