Texas Fishing Forum

State record mean mouth (DNA Results are in)

Posted By: adam_p

State record mean mouth (DNA Results are in) - 04/02/18 03:05 AM

Up to the biologist to determine but I think it is. 4.90 on certified scales. I took a fin clip in case DNA is needed to determine.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:06 AM

RR smallie for comparison

Posted By: crankn101

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:16 AM

Its a smallie...

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: crankn101
Its a smallie...

possibly, but it is the greenest smallie I've ever seen. It also looks very similar to the current state record meanmouth that was caught here as well. You can see it here http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12219512/Smallies_in_Ray_Roberts? Scroll down to jbcarrol3000's post.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:24 AM

Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:31 AM

Smallmouth
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:34 AM

Heck of a great catch no matter how it turns out!! thumb
Posted By: Barn

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:43 AM

I had a heck of a day last winter catching them on Roberts.

Posted By: RedRanger

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Smallmouth

Looks like a hybrid to me, but sure has a lot of smallmouth traits
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: adam_p
Up to the biologist to determine but I think it is. 4.90 on certified scales. I took a fin clip in case DNA is needed to determine.

Great fish no matter what she turns out to be.

Is that my old Bullet with a 300XS by chance?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 12:57 PM

Nice fish. I've given up trying to guess what these smallmouth/meanmouth crosses are on this lake. I caught a fish that looked like a spot but had the mouth, head and body shape of a smallmouth. May have been a lake record spot but I never weighed it.
Posted By: KsChampion198

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 02:31 PM

top pic is definitely a smallie.
Posted By: 361V

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 02:33 PM

Looks like a big smallie to me but the scientific evidence says otherwise. Congratulations! http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...ake_reco#UNREAD
Posted By: Barrett

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 02:41 PM

Def a mean mouth. Doesn't look like any of the smallies ive caught in that lake. Great job.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 02:42 PM

Its a smallie...

possibly, but it is the greenest smallie I've ever seen. It also looks very similar to the current state record meanmouth that was caught here as well. You can see it here http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12219512/Smallies_in_Ray_Roberts? Scroll down to jbcarrol3000's post.

looks identical

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Great fish no matter what she turns out to be.

Is that my old Bullet with a 300XS by chance?

It is Oldfield's old 21XD

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
Nice fish. I've given up trying to guess what these smallmouth/meanmouth crosses are on this lake. I caught a fish that looked like a spot but had the mouth, head and body shape of a smallmouth. May have been a lake record spot but I never weighed it.

What I have learned is spots on that lake looks like spots. They are light in color and look just like a spot. All those goofy ones that look in between are mean mouths and the ones that are really dark will great coloring are small mouth. They are weird fish though that are tough to tell.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:28 PM

Is that your lake record spot?
Posted By: Trickster

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:29 PM

Nice fish!

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B

Is that your lake record spot?

Lol I give up. That’s a strange looking fish. If I had to guess I would say yes that’s a spot.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 08:24 PM

Meeting the biologist Wednesday to give him the fin clip. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get the results.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 10:27 PM

Meeting the biologist Wednesday to give him the fin clip. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get the results.

Posted By: pop r

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 10:40 PM

thumb Smalley
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 11:26 PM

As the ugly guy holding the fish being used for comparison, all I can say, and only the genetic test will tell for sure, but I sure hope it's a mean mouth. Sure, being the current mean mouth record holder has had its perks--private jets, fast cars, groupies, heaps and heaps of cold hard cash...but in the end, it's really taken a toll on me and my family and I'm just not sure it's worth it anymore. The meet and greets. The baby kissing. The around the clock schedule of TV and radio interviews. The endless barrage of autograph hounds and flash bulbs that have interrupted family outing after family outing (we've started making my son wear a hood over his head every time he leaves the house just to keep his face out of the rag mags).

So, Adam P, if your fish should prove to be a legitimate mean mouth and should supplant my record, I will congratulate you and tip my hat to you. I cannot envy you though, for heavy is the head that wears the crown. Good luck my friend.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/02/18 11:45 PM

I thought all those babies were yours..... I figured you were big timing us and having fun babies everywhere..
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/03/18 12:03 AM

Maybe the offspring of a meanmouth and smallmouth? JK
Looks more smallmouth to me. Let us know. Nice fish either way!
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/03/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca
I thought all those babies were yours..... I figured you were big timing us and having fun babies everywhere..

The record has brought many opportunities and much temptation, but I've been able to resist to date. Besides, mean mouth bass emit a stronger than usual fish smell that I haven't been able to wash off since I caught the record, so this has kept many of the would-be baby momma's at bay...
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/03/18 12:37 AM

Just got through looking at pics of all the smallies I caught on Canyon last year, they all have a red/orange tint in the eyes. I don't see that in the first pic.
Look at the difference in the eye color of the first and second fish. Could very well be a meanmouth.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/03/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000
As the ugly guy holding the fish being used for comparison, all I can say, and only the genetic test will tell for sure, but I sure hope it's a mean mouth. Sure, being the current mean mouth record holder has had its perks--private jets, fast cars, groupies, heaps and heaps of cold hard cash...but in the end, it's really taken a toll on me and my family and I'm just not sure it's worth it anymore. The meet and greets. The baby kissing. The around the clock schedule of TV and radio interviews. The endless barrage of autograph hounds and flash bulbs that have interrupted family outing after family outing (we've started making my son wear a hood over his head every time he leaves the house just to keep his face out of the rag mags).

So, Adam P, if your fish should prove to be a legitimate mean mouth and should supplant my record, I will congratulate you and tip my hat to you. I cannot envy you though, for heavy is the head that wears the crown. Good luck my friend.

Not certain if I can handle all that attention might have to rethink submitting the paperwork.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/03/18 02:30 AM

Not certain if I can handle all that attention might have to rethink submitting the paperwork.

Dudes will be throwing their underwear on stage at your next weigh in. It will get crazy!

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/03/18 02:37 AM

Dudes will be throwing their underwear on stage at your next weigh in. It will get crazy!

Barrett is 9ft tall he can Dikembe Mutombo them for me

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 08:13 PM

Confirmed spotted bass/smallie hybrid

F1 cross

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 08:31 PM

F1 cross

Right on man, will you sign my whitey tighties?
Posted By: buda13

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 08:46 PM

Congrats man!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 09:28 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 10:02 PM

Congrats! Your gonna have some more guys gunnin for ya, now that we know what to look for.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 10:37 PM

F1 cross

Good to know. Now I'm starting to second guess a bunch of smallies I've caught on Texoma.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 11:31 PM

F1 cross

Congrats man! thumb
Posted By: pop r

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/19/18 11:50 PM

thumb
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/20/18 01:47 AM

Enough pictures of the fish... Post pictures of the boat... Dan roflmao
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/20/18 03:53 AM

Congrats! cheers
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/20/18 10:08 AM

F1 cross

thumb
Posted By: basshc

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/20/18 11:04 AM

Nice!
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/20/18 11:44 AM

Well done!
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/20/18 01:41 PM

thumb I always was told they didn't exist but I knew better, I have caught them on Broken Bow and Dequeen lakes. They are some bad azz fighters. Congrats.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: State record meanmouth - 04/20/18 08:02 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: bassin518

Re: State record meanmouth - 05/06/18 02:40 PM

hybrid
Posted By: MadFluker

Re: State record meanmouth - 05/06/18 03:06 PM

OF COURSE
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: State record meanmouth - 05/09/18 01:42 PM

Dam ugly Yellow Bullets!!! LOL