Texas Fishing Forum

Cheating at Anglers Quest?

Posted By: TxBassSniper

Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 02:14 AM

Just looking though some tournament results and saw where Anglers Quest has posted a warning about cheating that is rumored to possibly be going on in their tourneys. Hopefully this is just sour grapes, but like the old saying goes "sometimes truth is stranger than fiction"!

There are a few rumors going around and have been brought to my attention. Whether they are true or not, I’m not sure. But let me make a few things clear on Conroe (or any tournament that I hold). It is NOT OK to get out of your boat to locate fish. It is NOT OK to have someone else on the bank locating fish for you, telling you where to flip or when to jerk. It’s just NOT cool, it’s just NOT right. You will be disqualified. ( Refer to rule number 1 on the website).

Glad they are taking steps to solve the problem if that is going on. Nothing worse than a cheater.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 01:59 PM

There wasn't a rule that covers this specifically. It does say you can't get out of the boat to land a fish. Some tournaments have a specific rule to cover this including off limits period. Your average tournament angler knows this is not allowed. However without a specific rule or the Tournament Director covering it that's going to lead to someone pushing the rule envelope.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 02:43 PM

.... In today's world .....
One should never "ASSUME" anything.
Things have to be spelled out, stated in fact & gone over more than once.
The days of common sense are gone.
if the rules don't address it specifically then someone will do it AND get away with it.
pretty sad state of affairs,,,,, but that is where we are.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 03:49 PM

Gotta say in all my years of competitive bass fishing, and just fishing in general I never thought of getting out of the boat and walking up and down the shoreline to locate spawning fish for my partner. Damn shame what some people will do for money.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 04:08 PM

folks sometimes complain about rules but you cant let some fishermen police themselves because a few think if your not pushing the edge your not trying hard enough. as long as there is fame an money in most any kind of sport there will be some that the rules were not made for them.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 04:39 PM

I help write our rules for the THSBA and the reason there are some many rules is because people look for anyway possible to get around them. It is ridiculous to have to put every little item as a rule. Like mentioned most seasoned tournament anglers would never think of doing half of what some people try to do just because it isn’t spelled out word for word in the rules.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 04:44 PM

There is some blantant favoristim on that trail.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 06:12 PM

Same thing happened at a BLT Tournament on Texoma 5-6 years ago. I believe the angler in question was DQ'd. Sad what guys will do for a check

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 06:37 PM

Every trail I fished even 15+ years ago had a rule that you could not leave the boat for ANY reason. Haven't read AQ rules, but I think that pretty much covers this situation. The more negative attention we put on these few anglers the less likely is it to happen. Kinda like putting a spotlight on roaches.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 06:38 PM

sometimes there is thin line between cheating and bending the rules.....was big controversy in florida a few years ago over whether putting dog food in brushpiles was cheating or not....believe they finally put in a rule in one tournament trail that you couldn't do that...
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 06:41 PM

Getting help from non tournament competitors covers some of it as well. I know for a fact that leaving the boat while tournament is underway is allowed in some trails. I left my partner with my boat last year and bought a new coil for my motor when we were having engine problems. He continued fishing while I ran to the shop. I called the TD prior to doing so then. I also have seen other guys leave the boat to use bathroom etc in that trail and its one of the larger trails.
Posted By: Dean Coleman

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Kisndismis

All due respect...With 200 plus A/Q events fished since 1998, I've seen zero evidence of any kind of "favortism".
You really should explain yourself with that kind of statement...and putting your name behind it would give it any credibility its due.

Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Getting help from non tournament competitors covers some of it as well. I know for a fact that leaving the boat while tournament is underway is allowed in some trails. I left my partner with my boat last year and bought a new coil for my motor when we were having engine problems. He continued fishing while I ran to the shop. I called the TD prior to doing so then. I also have seen other guys leave the boat to use bathroom etc in that trail and its one of the larger trails.

I think they meant leaving the boat to spot bedding bass or to land a fish, surely you can leave the boat to go to restrooms etc in all tournies.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

I think they meant leaving the boat to spot bedding bass or to land a fish, surely you can leave the boat to go to restrooms etc in all tournies.

I was referring to Mr. Peebles where he posted this:

Every trail I fished even 15+ years ago had a rule that you could not leave the boat for ANY reason.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 07:13 PM

Nope I called the TD and in the trails I fished you could not get out of the boat PERIOD. Not if you had to go the the bathroom, not if you got stuck on a sandbar or stump, not to land a fish....NOT FOR ANY REASON other than an emergency. In which case you had to call the TD to inform what the emergency was. If I remember right you couldn't even use your cell phone during t hours except in an emergency.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: John Peebles
Gotta say in all my years of competitive bass fishing, and just fishing in general I never thought of getting out of the boat and walking up and down the shoreline to locate spawning fish for my partner. Damn shame what some people will do for money.

People do much worse for money

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: beartrap
sometimes there is thin line between cheating and bending the rules.....was big controversy in florida a few years ago over whether putting dog food in brushpiles was cheating or not....believe they finally put in a rule in one tournament trail that you couldn't do that...

What does dog food do?

Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 07:34 PM

I've left the boat in almost every tournament to use the bathroom only. Taken plenty of polygraphs in the same event and I've never even once thought it was an issue. If you personally think it's a violation, either don't do it, or simply bring it up during pre polygraph questions and explain yourself. That resolves any issues.

On another note, rumor is that winner of Poche benefit tournament had someone bring them more crankbaits while on a spot. Basically called and had someone go buy more cranks and bring them to the lake then to the spot. Was it against the rules? Not in that tournament. Was it unethical... probably but if it isn't clearly stated what you can do and what you can't...not much you can do but change the rules for the next event.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
Originally Posted By: beartrap
What does dog food do?
Dog food attracts bait fish and the circle of life goes on.
Not only were the brushpiles being baited with dogfood but the kissimmee grass edge, beds etc.as well.
Most trails here have a rule against both. Thankfully.

Posted By: 9094

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 08:04 PM

Wouldn’t it be hard to get on the bank at Conroe without trespassing?
I can’t imagine that this would not be considered cheating even if there wasn’t a rule about getting out of the boat.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I've left the boat in almost every tournament to use the bathroom only. Taken plenty of polygraphs in the same event and I've never even once thought it was an issue. If you personally think it's a violation, either don't do it, or simply bring it up during pre polygraph questions and explain yourself. That resolves any issues.

On another note, rumor is that winner of Poche benefit tournament had someone bring them more crankbaits while on a spot. Basically called and had someone go buy more cranks and bring them to the lake then to the spot. Was it against the rules? Not in that tournament. Was it unethical... probably but if it isn't clearly stated what you can do and what you can't...not much you can do but change the rules for the next event.

That’s probably actually true bout him. Guy has a nice wrap sheet but yet people still use him for guiding and what not. Seems he likes taking others money off the water illegally lol
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 08:52 PM

been fishing tournys and tourney trails since early 70's and don't recall ever fishing one that wouldn't let you get out of the boat for any reason....most tournys have a "no leave the boat except for emergency' rule but all of them that I'm aware of consider going to the bathroom an emergency whether it be a trip to an actual restroom or up on the bank behind a tree deal....
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
Wouldn’t it be hard to get on the bank at Conroe without trespassing?
I can’t imagine that this would not be considered cheating even if there wasn’t a rule about getting out of the boat.

I've seen people get out of their boat in the Walden Marina area & walk down the bulkhead, looking for bedding bass on multiple occasions. As recently as last week.I'm sure there are more areas to do it on the lake, but with the multiple condo's on the waterfront, it's a great place to look for the bed near the bulkheads. I don't think Evers seeing a biggun there on national TV helped the situation any.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 09:50 PM

Every trail I fished even 15+ years ago had a rule that you could not leave the boat for ANY reason.

Wow, that may be as dumb as the new NFL rule regaurding tackling while leading with the head.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 10:17 PM

Seen plenty of people go #1 and #2 either off the back of the boat or in a bucket. No emergency there.

Even heard of some sick S.O.B. #2 in his livewell. LOL!!!
Posted By: RKT

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Kisndismis

Please give us examples of direct evidence that you have observed of this. If you cannot, then please do not attack another's business without personal knowledge and proof.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 10:53 PM

Every trail I fished even 15+ years ago had a rule that you could not leave the boat for ANY reason. Haven't read AQ rules, but I think that pretty much covers this situation. The more negative attention we put on these few anglers the less likely is it to happen. Kinda like putting a spotlight on roaches.

I just looked at two trails. BassChamps and Media and they don't say you can't leave the boat. Only you can't leave the boat to look for fish, etc.

I don't see any trail saying you can't leave the boat for the restroom, that would be silly.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 10:58 PM

I've tried taking a dump off of the back of the boat several times. Not only were there some terrible consequences, the other contestants driving by didn't appreciate it very much.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/01/18 11:01 PM

Seen plenty of people go #1 and #2 either off the back of the boat or in a bucket. No emergency there.

bolt

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Finesse Master/ Dropshot king

bolt

You could line the livewell with a trash bag, buddy of mine told me it works pretty good.
Posted By: GODSDOZER

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 01:14 AM

Stay in the boat and purchase a good drone smile
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 01:34 AM

Are you [censored] out of luck if you have to drop a deuce? (pun intended)
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 01:39 AM

I wonder if hanging over the boat and crapping in the lake breaks some kind of law? I always beach the boat and find bushes before dumping in the lake.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 01:55 AM

I was fishing a tournament this weekend and had my dog with me and got out of the boat on the bank to let him [censored]... OOPS bolt Didn't want [censored] on my carpet lol

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:01 AM

Apparently most of the guys posting here saying you can't drop a deuce off the boat have never fished offshore. No bank or bushes when you're 10-20 miles out, and there's no going back to the dock for your personal problem.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:13 AM

This thread has really gone to [censored].

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: RKT
This thread has really gone to [censored].

Guess I should have worded it - This thread has really gone to fecal matter.
Posted By: GODSDOZER

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:27 AM

My Drone can see that too

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:33 AM

Soon there will be logs all over the lake that won’t sink your boat

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 03:00 AM

Fishing the brown log pattern?

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 03:35 AM

I'll get out anytime there is dry land and pass every polygraph given to me. Ridiculous for someone to think you cant get out to deuce
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 05:31 AM

Just looking though some tournament results and saw where Anglers Quest has posted a warning about cheating that is rumored to possibly be going on in their tourneys. Hopefully this is just sour grapes, but like the old saying goes "sometimes truth is stranger than fiction"!

There are a few rumors going around and have been brought to my attention. Whether they are true or not, I’m not sure. But let me make a few things clear on Conroe (or any tournament that I hold). It is NOT OK to get out of your boat to locate fish. It is NOT OK to have someone else on the bank locating fish for you, telling you where to flip or when to jerk. It’s just NOT cool, it’s just NOT right. You will be disqualified. ( Refer to rule number 1 on the website).

Glad they are taking steps to solve the problem if that is going on. Nothing worse than a cheater.
Hmmm, got another Ryan Lovlace, type incident?
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
Soon there will be logs all over the lake that won’t sink your boat

flush

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 01:08 PM

Apparently most of the guys posting here saying you can't drop a deuce off the boat have never fished offshore. No bank or bushes when you're 10-20 miles out, and there's no going back to the dock for your personal problem.

Most rigs that go 10-20 miles out have a pooper.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 01:51 PM

Nope I called the TD and in the trails I fished you could not get out of the boat PERIOD. Not if you had to go the the bathroom, not if you got stuck on a sandbar or stump, not to land a fish....NOT FOR ANY REASON other than an emergency. In which case you had to call the TD to inform what the emergency was. If I remember right you couldn't even use your cell phone during t hours except in an emergency.

Being stuck on a sandbar or stump and you cannot get the boat off is probably kind of an "emergency", unless you are so stupid you will stay there from the time you get stuck until the end of time...

Posted By: BMCD

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:09 PM

So I just read Texas Team Trail rules. Same exact verbage for Bass champs.

"At no time may a Contestant leave the boat to land a fish, or to make the boat more accessible to fishing waters."

Makes no mention of a partner leaving the boat to locate fish during the event. So I am guessing there needs to be a different language to prevent this. To me, technically it would be allowed, for this trail.

This whole thread seems like sour grapes to me. And based on assumptions.
Posted By: CrankNbait

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:19 PM

Since your partner is a contestant in the tournament, the rule applies to them also.
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD

"At no time may a Contestant leave the boat to land a fish, or to make the boat more accessible to fishing waters."

Makes no mention of a partner leaving the boat to locate fish during the event. So I am guessing there needs to be a different language to prevent this. To me, technically it would be allowed, for this trail.

Nope... if your partner (a contestant) leaves the boat to spot a bed fish, and you or your partner catch that bed fish... you've landed it. Thereby breaking the rule because you left the boat to land a fish.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Nope... if your partner (a contestant) leaves the boat to spot a bed fish, and you or your partner catch that bed fish... you've landed it. Thereby breaking the rule because you left the boat to land a fish.

That is implied interpretation. Partner did not leave the boat to land the fish, he left the boat to locate it.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:34 PM

So back to the original post, was this cheating within anglers quest or the deal Latta was talking about? Cheating has always been around but for them to put something up I would think they believe it's within their tournaments or they want to scare someone they think is doing it. I hardly think somebody bringing some guys some crankbaits is that big of a deal. Technically it's cheating in some events but I would think it wouldn't matter if someone else would have been on better fish. If these guys called to get cranks and came in with 15lbs would anybody really care?
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 02:57 PM

What trails do you fish that have that rule?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 03:22 PM

That is implied interpretation. Partner did not leave the boat to land the fish, he left the boat to locate it.

Your partner is a contestant. No implied interpretation needed. But if you think it's cool to have someone on the bank spotting bed fish for you in a tournament, you should learn how to locate and catch bedding bass on your own, because it isn't sportsmanlike any other way.
Posted By: COKEMAN

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: GODSDOZER
Stay in the boat and purchase a good drone smile

This will be the next thing if it is not already.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 04:18 PM

Most have a rule that cell phone use is prohibited unless an emergency. I think calling someone, having them bring you baits while on the water is definitely sketchy. Playing devil's advocate however many guys have went to get another boat, another trolling motor, another battery or have those things brought to them while in the water. So what's the real difference

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 05:12 PM

Most have a rule that cell phone use is prohibited unless an emergency. I think calling someone, having them bring you baits while on the water is definitely sketchy. Playing devil's advocate however many guys have went to get another boat, another trolling motor, another battery or have those things brought to them while in the water. So what's the real difference

Yea. That was kind of my point. I don't think it's that big of a deal. That's also why I question them putting it on anglers quest page. Seems like there may be a little more to it
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 05:26 PM

Perfect example of looking for loopholes in a rule. To me if your looking for loopholes in rules you already know what your doing is probably going against the integrity of the rule. These loopholes cause addendums which I think further confuses the rules. No rule should be up for interpretation. They should be very concise.
Posted By: KingChamp202

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 08:49 PM

Where on the website is that info, I didn't see any mention in the Results section. bolt
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955
I've tried taking a dump off of the back of the boat several times. Not only were there some terrible consequences, the other contestants driving by didn't appreciate it very much.

You're funny, bro.....
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 10:28 PM

It ends up in the splash well. It can get messy, then if you stop quick the water overruns back deck and it's in your lap
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/02/18 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
It ends up in the splash well. It can get messy, then if you stop quick the water overruns back deck and it's in your lap

Posted By: rj74955

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 02:47 AM

Exactly. Even if you manage to clear the splashwell it's bobbing around back there rubbing up against the boat, then you have to trim up, hammer the hot foot and try to drag it off with the front end sticking straight up in the air. So everyone around either sees your butt, your turd, or you driving like an idiot. It's a no win situation.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Your partner is a contestant. No implied interpretation needed. But if you think it's cool to have someone on the bank spotting bed fish for you in a tournament, you should learn how to locate and catch bedding bass on your own, because it isn't sportsmanlike any other way.

I think its BS, im not sure where I come into play on this though, just talking bout rules. Please show me where it says a contestant cannot get out of his boat in the rules I posted, to walk the bank. it has to be written, otherwise its implied and vague. And would be left to interpretation of the TD. I think if this is not allowed rules need to be modified.

Heck we fished a T on Waco, batteries died. Called the td he said one could go get batteries, the other could continue fishing. So should we have been DQ'd?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 01:09 PM

Exactly. Even if you manage to clear the splashwell it's bobbing around back there rubbing up against the boat, then you have to trim up, hammer the hot foot and try to drag it off with the front end sticking straight up in the air. So everyone around either sees your butt, your turd, or you driving like an idiot. It's a no win situation.

There are also issues with the clean up material. You either have to liter or spend the day with [censored] in the boat. The only other option is to go dirty and that causes issues at home when the wife does laundry.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 01:51 PM

There are also issues with the clean up material. You either have to liter or spend the day with [censored] in the boat. The only other option is to go dirty and that causes issues at home when the wife does laundry.

Just buy a box of depends and dude wipes! Problem solved!
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
.... In today's world .....
One should never "ASSUME" anything.
Things have to be spelled out, stated in fact & gone over more than once.
The days of common sense are gone.
if the rules don't address it specifically then someone will do it AND get away with it.
pretty sad state of affairs,,,,, but that is where we are.

So true.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 02:33 PM

I dont think it's about releasing mudsharks in the boat/water. Thats not what any of this is about. It's about one of the "contestants " leaving the boat to walk a bank, visually spotting bedding bass (higher angle of view/angle of light reflection/ anything) to GAIN AN ADVANTAGE over the rest of the "contestants". The purpose implied was to gain unfair advantage in locating & catching fish, NOT taking a dump,deuce,poop,morning constitutional, whatever. Good Lort...
A battery being replaced DOES'NT give an "unfair " advantage over the other contestants. In other words, the TD, must determine if the calling contestant IS at a disadvantage because of it. Most will allow it, because it actually takes away fishing time to do it. Its NOT additional help. Actually it a courtesy afforded to ALL contestants OR not allowed to ANY comtestant. TD's decision.
Love the different interpretations that come up in discussion, but, almost EVERY entry form I've ever signed states that " All decisions of TD will stand. Theres ALSO the one that says "ALL protests must be in writing within (time limit) of close of scales. Therefore, the TD's opinion IS the only one that matters at weigh ins. Stay safe out there & good luck.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 02:42 PM

Listed or not getting out of the boat to look at a bed fish during a tournament is cheating.
Posted By: JeffLStevens

it is concerning when there are so many responses on here defending the actions of someone leaving the boat to spot fish. I hope that I am not fishing against a lot of these guys that seem to be ok with this unless the tournament rules specifically state that you can't. This should be common sense by all tournament anglers.
Posted By: fouzman

Originally Posted By: Barrett
Listed or not getting out of the boat to look at a bed fish during a tournament is cheating.

And lame.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 04:03 PM

We can assume its against the rules, I know I would, but would the TD make the same assumption after reading the rules. I agree with y'all. And I think they exploited a loop hole in the written rule. Heck I would have never thought of this until it was mentioned by the OP.

I would submit there needs to be a modification to the rules in some cases.

Don't get mad at me, and I'm not defending there actions, in fact just pointing out there needs to be a rule change to prevent this.

I mean could the contestant, a team member, get out and spot the fish. Place a marker, then enter the boat again and proceed to try and land the fish... And as the rules are currently written. Is this also a loop hole? Reality it all falls on the TD shoulders.

Sorry, this is like my job, find the problems and don't assume anything.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 04:29 PM

From Bass Champs rules

At no time may a Contestant leave the boat to land a fish, make the boat more accessible to fishing waters, or locate bass.
Posted By: COKEMAN

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 04:32 PM

Basschamps has had this addressed in their rules for awhile and it is a simple addition to other trails.

"At no time may a Contestant leave the boat to land a fish, make the boat more accessible to fishing waters, or locate bass."

Just adding that "or locate bass" fixes this and handles the mudshark discussion too.

There's always going to be people looking for the loopholes. A few years ago, there were some anglers in Basschamps and a couple other tournaments walking the banks at night with spotlights looking for beds. Once found, they put landscape marker flags on the bank and returned during the tournament. They weren't technically "on the water during off-limits" so it was technically not against the rules. I thought Basschamps changed the rules to address that at one point to say something like "on the water specifically for locating bass including walking the banks (or within x feet of the bank or whatever)" or something like that, but I don't see that there now. The "specifically for locating bass" was to allow people that lived on a lake to be on their boat docks or run down the lake to the marina or whatever without violating a rule. That's gone now too, or maybe it was never really implemented and just proposed, but you get the gist of the idea.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TdRoss
From Bass Champs rules

At no time may a Contestant leave the boat to land a fish, make the boat more accessible to fishing waters, or locate bass.

...and that friends, is how it’s done. A simple statement that leaves no room for interpretation without getting into ad infinitim legalese!
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: JeffLStevens
it is concerning when there are so many responses on here defending the actions of someone leaving the boat to spot fish. I hope that I am not fishing against a lot of these guys that seem to be ok with this unless the tournament rules specifically state that you can't. This should be common sense by all tournament anglers.

This ^^^^. In MY opinion, Those DOING it already KNOW they are cheating & are trying to justify it by "claiming" its NOT in the rules specifically!!!
Mudsharks are under a different rule interpretation by TD's. Prolly NOT gonna give ANYONE an unfair advantage locating,catching, OR landing a fish. roflmao

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 06:33 PM

I agree, that works, and would prevent said situation.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JeffLStevens

I have no issues with someone leaving boat unless it's for a competitive advantage. What you say is dead on through.
Posted By: GoPokes

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 07:34 PM

To me, that's not really any different than refueling at a marina. He had the wherewithal to make a call and get resupplied. Good move IMO. As long as any other contestant had the same opportunity, then no problem.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

And lame.

Some would say fishing for bed fish at all is lame and unsportsmanlike. I remember back in the old days hearing about Rick Clunn hiring pilots to fly over lakes before tournaments to get a lay of the structure that just couldn't be done from a boat. No one considered that cheating or unsportsmanlike. How about an elevated pedestal?? Is that cheating, unethical, or just working harder than the other competitors? I think the some other posters nailed it, just add "or to locate bass" to the rule and it's fixed.
Posted By: JeffLStevens

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 07:53 PM

The only person that I know of that has done this was also DQ'd from a tournament years ago for failing a Poly and when given the opportunity to clear his name and take another Poly, he has never done so. He is not allowed to fish several trails at all because of this but unfortunately still fishes some tournaments. SO.....if you want to be lumped in with a guy like that and "bend" the rules because it doesn't state it word for word and then defend your actions or the actions of others......it's your integrity and name that is ruined when someone sees you.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 07:56 PM

Bed fishing unsportsmanlike? I guess guys don't realize practically every fish they catch in less than 8ft of water this time of year is a "bed" fish. Guys who refuse to bed fish catch more bed fish than the guys actually looking for them. That's a fact.

As far as unfair advantage, what about the guy with a bullet, 300hp and 4 solix 15's? Doesn't he have an unfair advantage over guys with 200hp and lesser electronics? Some of these arguments are laughable.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 08:12 PM

Bed fishing unsportsmanlike? I guess guys don't realize practically every fish they catch in less than 8ft of water this time of year is a "bed" fish. Guys who refuse to bed fish catch more bed fish than the guys actually looking for them. That's a fact.

As far as unfair advantage, what about the guy with a bullet, 300hp and 4 solix 15's? Doesn't he have an unfair advantage over guys with 200hp and lesser electronics? Some of these arguments are laughable.

Hard to tell if you're arguing with me or agreeing, but to the bed fishing statement, I can only speak for myself, but after catching a male bass off a bed on Fork that had practically no mouth left from being caught so many times, I felt very unsportsmanlike. That's different than catching a random bed fish in shallow water during the spring, even if your assertion is true. Not that any of that has anything to do with the topic at hand.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/03/18 10:56 PM

Lost in this is how Barbara Long handled it on her trail, immediately. She runs a great trail and just showed it. thumb

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/04/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
Lost in this is how Barbara Long handled it on her trail, immediately. She runs a great trail and just showed it. thumb

I'm still not sure this has anything to do with aq. I didn't see anything on their site and the only real thing I've seen posted is the crank baits getting brought to anglers in a different tournament
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/04/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

I'm still not sure this has anything to do with aq. I didn't see anything on their site and the only real thing I've seen posted is the crank baits getting brought to anglers in a different tournament

http://www.fishingworld.com/fishing-and-...-win-on-conroe-

I think she posted the same thing on Facebook

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/04/18 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: kellisag
Originally Posted By: the skipper

http://www.fishingworld.com/fishing-and-...-win-on-conroe-

I think she posted the same thing on Facebook

Thanks.

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/04/18 09:18 PM

It is good to see a tournament director address an issue head on instead of trying to hide issues.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/05/18 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
There wasn't a rule that covers this specifically. It does say you can't get out of the boat to land a fish. Some tournaments have a specific rule to cover this including off limits period. Your average tournament angler knows this is not allowed. However without a specific rule or the Tournament Director covering it that's going to lead to someone pushing the rule envelope.

Excuse my ignorance please, I've fished bass tournaments, but never heard of an "off limits period." What is that exactly?

Re: Cheating at Anglers Quest? - 04/05/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

Excuse my ignorance please, I've fished bass tournaments, but never heard of an "off limits period." What is that exactly?

The lake has an off limits period leading up to the tourney. Bass champs is from the Monday before the tournament until the tournament, you can't be on tournament waters during that time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum