Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Hubbard

Posted By: ChrisZ175

Ray Hubbard - 03/29/18 11:58 PM

Running from Chaha ramp to the river. Heard it's pretty hairy with all of the stumps. Is there a good route or is it just a slow ride.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 12:10 AM

Once you get to the golf course it's a slow ride if you've never been there before. The river is really muddy now and there is construction going on just before you get to the river opening with lots of large machinery. There was a public notice about this last December. Might want to let things get better before you make the trip.
Posted By: redskeeter1020

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 01:09 PM

What construction are they doing?

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeeter1020
What construction are they doing?

As I recall (which is a dangerous thing,lol) they were putting in a new transmission line. One guy said a new road. One or both of us is probably wrong. The notice did say there would be a lot of heavy machinery and I'm thinking it's a barge like contraption. The notice was in the form of a public awareness situation but did not say the area would be blocked off so you could access the river. With all the water being let out of Lavon the area is probably a mud hole.
Posted By: olemanfish

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 01:55 PM

went up before rain the barge is not in the way they put in new piles for the new lines where the two stumps were at power lines
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 02:01 PM

Until construction is done I'd be hesitant to make a run up river. It was hairy enough before the construction. If/when I do go I will idle in until I know if the run line changed.

It is not a straight line and impossible to describe how to get in.

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: John175®
Until construction is done I'd be hesitant to make a run up river. It was hairy enough before the construction. If/when I do go I will idle in until I know if the run line changed.

It is not a straight line and impossible to describe how to get in.

Smart man.
Posted By: grumpyoldman

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 08:46 PM

How far up can you run and still be reasonably safe? Also is the main lake say below hwy 66 safe to run? I've never been on hubbard. Just doing my google earth research and thought i'd ask. I moved to Wylie from out of state 6 months ago. Hubbard looks to be my best option for a weekday evening trip as I don't hear much good out of lavon.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: kyle31
How far up can you run and still be reasonably safe? Also is the main lake say below hwy 66 safe to run? I've never been on hubbard. Just doing my google earth research and thought i'd ask. I moved to Wylie from out of state 6 months ago. Hubbard looks to be my best option for a weekday evening trip as I don't hear much good out of lavon.

Tons of timber south of 66 and north of 30. With the lake being full you could find yourself in the middle of a submerged forest and not even realize it. South of 30 is much safer but there are still a handful of danger spots.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/30/18 11:08 PM

Don't sell Lavon short...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/31/18 02:16 AM

I’d also be concerned with my truck and/or trailer still being at J Paul Jones when I got back.

Also that short run from the ramp to 30 isn’t as clear as it looks with the lake full, be very careful.

The only place I’d say there isn’t a true clear path to run is north of 66 in Rockwall on the west side. I have run it and every time I’ve been blessed to not hit anything, but there isn’t a clear path.

As stated earlier getting to the river there isn’t really a path you can talk someone through. Lots of timber anywhere north of 30 on both sides of the lake. But, there are paths you can navigate most the lake once you learn them , especially at full pool.

To be honest the river is not what it was 8+ years ago. Very few tournaments are won up there anymore, though it’s still a neat area to explore.
Posted By: fishincontrol

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/31/18 02:47 AM

Lavon is the better lake. River is over rated. South Hubbard is ghetto.
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/31/18 03:19 AM

I don’t fish lavon, but Hubbard is fishing really good right now. I haven’t fished north of 66 all year due to excessive rain and muddy water. Plenty of good fish to be caught mid-lake and south end. Good luck
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Ray Hubbard - 03/31/18 02:09 PM

The river has never recovered from the low water a couple years ago. You may catch four or five small fish up there or spend 8 hours without a bite. Don't ask me how I know. You can really get away from all up there.......all fish! But you can't get away from the crowds up there. In addition, I have been going up there for many years and I still pucker up getting there. There are not only random stumps but there are laydowns that will move around with the wind and the current. Those are the ones that worry me most. Another thing that has happened recently is the sand bars have changed with all the high water and releases from Lavon. Where the water used to be 3 feet deep is now only a few inches in places. I saw a new Ranger coming in there last year hit one and came to an abrupt stop. Took him a while to get off. He was lucky. Someone a lot of us know[I won't name..lol] Had to leave his boat up there for a few weeks when he did the same thing. Maybe someone will post that pic.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum