Texas Fishing Forum

moving waypoints between units

Posted By: coachmatt

moving waypoints between units - 03/28/18 05:29 PM

We are trying to move waypoints from the humminbird 597 to the helix 5 series, but are having trouble. We tried inserting the old SD card into the computer saving the waypoints then inserting the new SD card in to the computer and copying the waypoints over, but they are not showing up. Are the waypoints saved on the unit itself? If so, how would be able to get waypoints off the unit?
Posted By: coachmatt

Re: moving waypoints between units - 03/28/18 05:38 PM

If they are saved to the unit what are the odds of getting the waypoints off that unit when it does not turn on? Im hoping greater than 0.
Posted By: Bandit 53

Re: moving waypoints between units - 03/28/18 05:47 PM

Humminbird and Lowrance waypoints are saved/stored in different formats. HB wpts are in .hwr while Lowrance are in .usr. I don't know about the Helix line, but the HDS line will accept .gpx format. Basically you need to download GPS Babel (free download), convert your data from .hwr to gpx, save the conversation to a SD card and then use the file import commands to import into your Helix unit.

Please disregard my the info in my post above as I had a senior moment. I saw Helix and for whatever reason thought HDS.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: moving waypoints between units - 03/28/18 08:52 PM

If you have a 597 can you export data? I am not sure about those units having only owned a 798 or higher. Once you have them exported to the card you can either go to Humminbird PC to view them or possibly load straight on the Helix 5.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: moving waypoints between units - 03/29/18 12:14 AM

I would think that you could export them off one unit and import them directly into the other, both being Humminbirds. I have an 898 and a Helix 7 and I can do this between the units.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: moving waypoints between units - 03/29/18 12:39 AM

Sounds like your out of luck.I lost 5 years of waypoints once after a updated froze my hb,sux
You should be able to just stick the card in the new unit and upload what's on it
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: moving waypoints between units - 03/29/18 01:17 PM

If you can't turn the unit on at all, I'd contact Humminbird and see what they can do. When it comes down to it, there's some hard disk storage somewhere in that unit that has them saved and they should be able to get it for you, somehow. If there's not an easy way to do it, then it'll just depend on how hard they want to work to get the data off.
Posted By: Medens

Re: moving waypoints between units - 03/30/18 03:35 AM

But, that's interesting to know about hb/lowrance conversion, nonetheless.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum