Texas Fishing Forum

B.A.S.S and Louisiana Senator Trying to Change Access

Posted By: fouzman

B.A.S.S and Louisiana Senator Trying to Change Access - 03/27/18 03:27 PM

http://www.bassfan.com/docktalk_article/19064/b-a-s-s-urges-la-to-restore-angler-access#.WrpiNtTwbX4

To state waters that were previously open to the public, but now posted and gated by to landowners and enforced by Parish sheriffs.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 03:33 PM

Got a ticket there once when I was in the Army for fishing from the bank on private property without a license. GW said the water and fish were public even thought the land was private. Seems a little two faced, what is it public or private? It would be good for everyone to make the law clear!
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
Got a ticket there once when I was in the Army for fishing from the bank on private property without a license. GW said the water and fish were public even thought the land was private. Seems a little two faced, what is it public or private? It would be good for everyone to make the law clear!

Should have just waded out knee deep and see what they said! grin

Very similar situation with all the Soil Conservation Lakes in Denton and Wise County. Public water, but most of the land is bought up making them inaccessible.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 04:31 PM

Public water should have at least one public access point on it, meaning a boat ramp and some amount of bank space.
Posted By: 361V

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 04:50 PM

Similar to the problem/dilemma with streams flowing through private property.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger
Public water should have at least one public access point on it, meaning a boat ramp and some amount of bank space.

What about endless canals connected by water? They don't all have public access in them.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 05:36 PM

Unfortunately the trouble is US. Most of the lands were probably open at some point until some fishing people showed up and when they left their trash did not.

It does not take long for landowners to spend time picking of what others left before the posted signs go up.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 05:55 PM

I have a friend that just moved to Slidell and he has already ran into no trespass signs and gates across canals. Hard to know where its legal to boat and fish.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
Unfortunately the trouble is US. Most of the lands were probably open at some point until some fishing people showed up and when they left their trash did not.

It does not take long for landowners to spend time picking of what others left before the posted signs go up.

I'm betting this issue in LA has nothing to do with that at all.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 05:58 PM

Cooley lake on the Red River comes to mind!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jaret Latta
Originally Posted by texasAUtiger

What about endless canals connected by water? They don't all have public access in them.

[video:youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ic0kDwzsag[/video]

Locals harrassing and even shooting at anglers is nothing new there

Posted By: the skipper

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1

Should have just waded out knee deep and see what they said! grin

Very similar situation with all the Soil Conservation Lakes in Denton and Wise County. Public water, but most of the land is bought up making them inaccessible.

The land under the water is private also. I've found that one out

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 07:11 PM

This isn't the issue there. It's people wanting their own private fishing and just plain ole greed I guess. Even on the public water you have to be careful. We were getting shot at right where KVD and those guys fished the classic in New Orleans a few months before they showed up. If you can get there from a navigable body of water it should be public. My buddy's family has a private lake up by fork that is well managed and hardly fished. There's a very small creek that runs into it from somewhere else that evidentally you can get a duck boat or kayak in. Some guys showed up out there one day fishing and they didn't know where they came from. Not that they were all that mad but just curious how they got there, because the ramps are all behind locked gates. They asked the game warden after that what the deal was and what they could do. He said as long as they remained in the boat the whole time on their way, while they where there, and until they were off their land they were legal. If they had to drag the boat around obstacles or anything made them get out of the boat on the way there, or if they touched the bottom of the lake it would make them illegal.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 10:29 PM

Before too many false opinions get posted please visit https://joinlasc.com for details on the current issue. I just moved from southern Louisiana to east Texas with these laws having a great influence on my decision. It’s a real problem and one that will one day lead to lost of life for someone.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 11:25 PM

hope this spreads and applies to other states as well....hunting clubs along the Miss. river have started posting posting sloughs and backwaters off the Miss. river......
I don't have a problem with a landowner posting a self contained private lake.....problem I have is them fencing or posting public water....if you can access a slough or lake by water,it should be against the law to post it as private waters....
I'd like to see it carried further and make a 20 ft wide easement around all public water much like an easement along a street or highway....

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: beartrap
hope this spreads and applies to other states as well....hunting clubs along the Miss. river have started posting posting sloughs and backwaters off the Miss. river......
I don't have a problem with a landowner posting a self contained private lake.....problem I have is them fencing or posting public water....if you can access a slough or lake by water,it should be against the law to post it as private waters....
I'd like to see it carried further and make a 20 ft wide easement around all public water much like an easement along a street or highway....

I agree. Except the easement. Then you will have a real problem with trash and people tearing up land
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/27/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger

Tell that to the Lake Mcqueeney HOA! realmad

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/28/18 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

I agree. Except the easement. Then you will have a real problem with trash and people tearing up land

most corp of engineer lakes do have an easement around them...if I understand it correctly,you can only own the land to the highwater mark and you can only put a dock there with corp's permission...I'm not sure if person can beach his boat and fish from the shore anywhere on the lake but I think he can.....
Posted By: Chris B

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/28/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

most corp of engineer lakes do have an easement around them...if I understand it correctly,you can only own the land to the highwater mark and you can only put a dock there with corp's permission...I'm not sure if person can beach his boat and fish from the shore anywhere on the lake but I think he can.....

Most of the areas they are talking about are swamp and marsh land. These aren't clean lake shores.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/28/18 01:11 AM

Lake Theriot is a public lake surrounded by private owned marsh in south Louisiana. The only access to it is through gated canals. So it’s a situation where the public can’t access public land because of the current laws.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/28/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I'm betting this issue in LA has nothing to do with that at all.

I would agree with you .
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/28/18 03:16 AM

The skipper is right. It is soley greed driving this.

Lots of places I fished as a kid are now gated off because landowners wanted the fish for themselves.

There are areas in the salt marshes that look like huge bays or lakes and you can be cited for trespassing in the middle of the lake. Those that own the oyster beds apparently own the water on top of them.

Then after courts have sided with landowners time and time again, these lake bottom owners began leasing fishing rights to navigable waterways.

I believe what started this is the crawfishing years ago. Land that is dry for most of the year floods in the Spring. So people look at it as private land that is flooded. Then crawfishermen show up each spring as the waters rise and put a trap on almost every tree. Fishermen and landowners have been in the courts forever.

Its like your yard flooding and then someone anchoring their boat in your front yard saying you don't own the water.

I know it shouldnt be as simple as saying if you can float your boat there it should be open to the public, but there needs to be something in the middle.

At no point in time should they be able to put up gates. If you want to keep the fish, build an earthen dam.

There are guides that fish behind the gates and on leased water over oyster reefs. I will never fish with either.

It is really a shame what the Sportsman's Paradise has become.

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/29/18 12:43 AM

agree that you should not be able to fence off public water...if you want private water,build you a dam and dig you a well or let God fill it up with rainwater....
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/29/18 02:28 PM

Sadly this is a major problem. This video was just taken. https://www.facebook.com/danny.pool.908/videos/1701824539885540/
Posted By: SC-001

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/29/18 03:06 PM

Either that link doesn't work or its been taken down..
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/29/18 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

All work just fine from my phone as of 30 seconds mb ds ago.

Re: B.A.S.S> - 03/29/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

It worked but I'm not on Facebook so you can't watch it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum