Texas Fishing Forum

Google earth to navionics maps

Posted By: I-Outdoors

Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 03:22 PM

is there a way to put marks or paths from google earth to navionics maps ?
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 04:37 PM

You can transfer way points from Google Earth to your electronics, if that is what your asking?

See if this video will help.

https://youtube.com/qqDjdsZEGEc
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 04:37 PM

I've tried it, and it doesn't work.
From what I found out Google, Bing Maps, etc., do not use GCS on WGS 1984 which are references in an unprojected graticule, rather they use "web" Mercator projection onto a spherical globe, notated in ArcGIS as WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere).
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 05:19 PM

Just take the coords off google earth and turn it into a decimal to type on to lowrance
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 05:29 PM

Yes; well you're not adding it to Navionics, but you are adding an additional base layer to your Lowrance/Bird/Raymarine unit.

Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 05:53 PM

I use Google Earth Paths to indicate creek channels, and shorelines at lower water levels. They are converted to Humminbird Tracks and go in the unit's waypoint library. They are not Navionics map edits.

This is some of the shoreline at a water level 12' lower than normal pool and before any map company had a shoreline for it. I only did major features:

Same tracks after Navionics added the shoreline to their base map:

Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
I've tried it, and it doesn't work.
From what I found out Google, Bing Maps, etc., do not use GCS on WGS 1984 which are references in an unprojected graticule, rather they use "web" Mercator projection onto a spherical globe, notated in ArcGIS as WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere).

My head hurts
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 06:00 PM

Doing the same thing, I did the shoreline of a 420 acre lake before there was any mapping available. Needed a shoreline for waypoint reference.

After I did this, I found out I made a digit error in entering waypoints that I created using a hand held GPS unit when the water level was about 15' low. Had to move +Hr5 over to the lake.
Posted By: I-Outdoors

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 06:40 PM

ok thanks everybody looks like itll work
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/23/18 07:50 PM

Yes you can do it.
Posted By: Ekman Spiral

Re: Google earth to navionics maps - 03/24/18 03:04 PM

You need to change the last four google earth coordinates . Ex. Ends in 25.56 divide this by 60 =.426. This is the last three you plug into your gps. This works. I'm sure there is an easier way. Create a spreadsheet to expedite the process.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum