Texas Fishing Forum

How Would You Fish This Small Lake?

Posted By: Heron

How Would You Fish This Small Lake? - 03/18/18 04:18 AM

The closest lake to me is Lake Fryer, an 86 acre lake in the Texas Panhandle. It is a no wake lake with a max depth of 25 feet, presumably at full pool. It's currently low since we've had no measurable rain since last September. Day time temps are occasionally in the 70's with night time temps still regularly in the 30's and low 40's. It is fed by Wolf Creek which is a spring fed creek. So far, I've only fished from shore and only caught crappie though I'm looking for bass. The last few days I've seen the occasional dead gizzard shad on the bank which I assume was killed by cold temps (i.e. no indication of major fish kill). Little or no grass in the lake. Again, I've not caught any bass out of there yet but I've just started trying. Maybe the water is still too cold. Water is very stained but not muddy. Thoughts or recommendations?

Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: How Would You Fish This Small Lake? - 03/18/18 11:17 AM

Drag a black and blue jig around is what I’d do
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: How Would You Fish This Small Lake? - 03/18/18 01:23 PM

Look for any irregular features on the lake and work them over with whatever your comfortable with. If they don't bunch up much, just hit everything within 2 cast lengths of the bank. Shouldn't take long.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How Would You Fish This Small Lake? - 03/18/18 01:49 PM

Your fish are going to come to the heaviest cover that the lake has to offer. Find those areas and stay with them everyday you can until they move up to spawn. These small flats with cover will also be their feeding area; so visit often to be there at the right time of day. If you are fishing off the bank, equip yourself with some means to at least get a few yards out into the water. Waders are a good choice. This allows you to fish parallel with the shoreline. Fan fishing from the bank and out to 5 ft. of water is very important. You then move forward a few steps to overlap your cast. Work your way around the shore line using this off shore method. Try a Mepp's Black Fury, 3.5 inch Sassy Shad type baits on a small; but good hook jig head. The Bette Spin with the same Shad type plastic has also been a super shoreline bait.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: How Would You Fish This Small Lake? - 03/18/18 01:57 PM

I would start where the creek comes into the lake. Take a look at that dead gizzard shad and match it to a bait you can throw. Lake should be getting better late April and May. I would also try and get a boat or a Kayak and fish it from the water.
Posted By: Heron

Re: How Would You Fish This Small Lake? - 03/18/18 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone! I probably should have mentioned that I have a kayak that I can fish from. Was thinking about paddling up the creek in search of warmer water possibly. Lots of cover and steep banks up in there as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum